PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Muffler Seal

ckizer
08-07-2013, 03:52 PM
I took my 2012 150cc TaoTao PowerMax VIP exhaust off because it was having trouble staying mounted to my bike. It's been welded multiple times.

When I went to put it back on it rattled and the seal between the muffler and engine fell off somewhere on the road. It's a tiny circle. I cannot find just this part anywhere.

Such a tiny little piece and I can't ride my scooter! I put high temp JB weld to the muffler and now it's still loud, but exhaust is doing it job.

Can someone tell me something I can cut a new washer out of? Rubber can't handle the temp. I also want to buy mounts for the exhaust system.

There is no scooter dealership in my very rural area. Where can I get the muffler mounts and this seal asap?

ckizer
08-07-2013, 03:55 PM
I was able to find the gaskets on ebay. However part of the problem is when tightening it to the motor one of the screws broke off. How can I fix this?

inuyasha
08-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Hi
Remove the old broken screw and retap the hole or use an helicoil insert
Take care and ride safely my friend
Yours Hank

blueboy5000
08-08-2013, 08:21 AM
Go to Carquest, NAPA or some other autoparts store that specializes in professional-level parts, and get a roll of Ultra-High-Temp gasket material. (costs like $20) then use the flange of the header pipe as a template and cut your own flange-style gasket.

This works WAY WAY better than that stupid POS o-ring style gasket, and the roll of gasket material makes like 50 gaskets. You can also use the material to make header-to-muffler gaskets that don't burn up.