PDA

View Full Version : Final Drive Bearings, ATM 50

watcher64
08-06-2013, 11:37 PM
OK I know it can't be this hard ...

I have not found a place to buy a set of bearings for the final drive .. I do believe there are three bearings in there ...

Any Ideas :hmm: ..

No I have not taken it apart yet, but I am sure the bearings need replacing ...

cookees
08-07-2013, 09:06 PM
I believe it may be the Phitzer valve, Gordo. Try some 40 weight oil and new ball bearings. Oh... and get the gunk off the windshield.

watcher64
08-08-2013, 03:45 AM
I believe it may be the Phitzer valve, Gordo. Try some 40 weight oil and new ball bearings. Oh... and get the gunk off the windshield.

Well that was helpful ....:shrug:

blueboy5000
08-08-2013, 08:17 AM
Usually, the bearing doesn't fail. It's more likely to be sheered-off teeth on the final drive spline/axle.

The bearing is usually included with a final drive gear set kit.

watcher64
08-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Usually, the bearing doesn't fail. It's more likely to be sheered-off teeth on the final drive spline/axle.

The bearing is usually included with a final drive gear set kit.

Well I took it apart, and you are correct the bearings appear to be fine, but also no teeth appear to be damaged ..

Now here is the strange thing , I put in the main shaft, the one going to the clutch, and it grinds , it is the only thing in it seems to grind when I turn it by hand ..

But when I pull it out, the bearing spins fine makes no noise and looks fine ..

I am confused ...:hmm:

watcher64
08-08-2013, 07:25 PM
Oh and just to add this is the Input shaft that is making the "noise" ... I swear the bearing spins freely and makes no noise ..

Could it be the seal that is rubbing the shaft and making a grinding noise? I would not think so ..

watcher64
08-09-2013, 12:25 AM
Ok, one of the bearings, had a flat spot that was soooooo small, it only showed its ugly head when there was stress on it ...

Ordered new bearing, I hope that fixes it ...