PDA

View Full Version : Putting a cellphone charger on the scooter

ckizer
07-30-2013, 04:01 PM
So I did some reading up about putting a cellphone charger or 12volt power port on the 150cc taotao scooter. I noticed in other threads people said it wasn't something that could be done because the 12volt battery can barely get recharged just driving around. How can this be true?

Does anyone know what the stators are rated to? I found ModCharger which does exactly what I want. Let's you charge your cellphone and apparently they owner has never had a problem with dead batteries or the battery not getting charged up.

He said vespa staors are only 6 coils raited to 6-8amps @ 12volts.

I'm really confused. Can I or can I not run or splice off say the light system or somewhere on the bike to get a 12 volt power plug? Other people said there is barely enough watts to power LED lights? Does the lighting get a lot less of the power than what comes off the regulator?

Here's what ModCharger Owner said in email:

No it is not a replacement for the CDI or the Regular. It piggy backs into the regulator and does not touch the ignition circuit. The user guide I sent you shows how it connects to 3-Pin and 5-Pin regulators.

Remember most phone chargers and satnavs are USB based that's 5V at 500mA or 2.5 Watts max.

You are quite right the charger will consume energy and it's a finite resource on a scooter. Consider it a bit like the rear brake running light, this takes energy from the scooter but you won;t notice the difference in performance if you take the bulb out.

Firehawk989
07-30-2013, 04:56 PM
I would be surprised if you couldn't power a cell charger. I think the main problem is if you try to power something like a stereo or something big like that.

techie610
07-30-2013, 05:37 PM
I put a socket on my bike, straight from the battery.
Absolutely no problems, even on an 8 hour ride.
Just don't leave something on it for long, while the bike is off.
And if you have a kickstart, even if you forgot, you should be OK.
My father put 2 on his, mounted in the glove box.

Great mod, very useful, not hard.

blueboy5000
07-31-2013, 07:16 AM
I mounted a 12v cigarette-lighter-style port to my bike. I attached the positive to the battery, and the negative to ground on frame, and installed a switch so I can shut off the socket when I'm no using it. The socket has two sockets, which I use for my phone and gps.

That was many many miles ago, and my bike runs fine. Phones and GPS do not draw much power at all.