PDA

View Full Version : Seat latch won't pop

Trev
07-30-2013, 12:09 PM
Hi All!

I'm hoping someone here might have some advice on this one. I purchased a SSR Verona 150 (http://www.ssrmotorsports.com/store/scooter/verona150.htm) a few months back and it's been a life changer. I live in San Francisco and I sold my car and can now park anywhere, no matter the time of day... You can't imagine the soul destruction of trying to find a free car spot around my neighborhood. I ran through Big Guy's PDI and everything has been running very well (big, big thanks for putting that together btw, very helpful).

After getting home the other day, I put its cover on and all was well. When I was ready to ride again yesterday I came back and the seat wouldn't pop. The lock still turns with about the same resistance as before (I think it's spring loaded) but nothing happens. I can't tell if the latch is moving or not, I don't hear anything as I put my ear to the seat, but am not 100% sure. I've tried lifting the seat as I turned the key, pressing it down, wiggling it, prying it with a fair amount of force (but not to break the pin off the seat levels yet). No dice. The seat wasn't overstuffed as the cover was out and it has a "normal" amount of free play as I ran my experiments, but I suppose it's possible a shoe lace or something made its way into the latch mechanism. I suspect more likely is that the cable has come loose.

I know the latch was about a three inch wide brass colored block, but can't remember if there was a lever on it that I should aim a coat hanger hook at or something. If I recall correctly. the rear panels bolt down through the seat compartment, so I don't think removal of the entire rear section is possible.

I tried calling the distributor and they referred me to SSR. Neither was any help and I was somewhat surprised that even the guy at SSR didn't seem to know what the bike even looked like, let alone give me any help with a procedure here.

Hopefully there is an easy enough fix that doesn't require me ordering a new seat and latch.. Any help will be much appreciated! :thanks:

-Trev

Trev
07-31-2013, 01:23 PM
As an update, this morning I was finally able to get it to pop. It appears the cable was still attached but had loosened up. I only just managed to get a finger around the cable that attaches to the lock barrel and pulled on it as I turned the key. Needless to say, my forearm isn't looking so flash right now. Now I have it open I'm going to see what adjustment is possible in there to tighten the mechanism back up.

ckizer
08-01-2013, 12:39 AM
I lived in San Francisco for 15 years. It's completely freeing to your soul to get a scooter. Be careful my locks had the same issue with the seats. I had to unscrew the bolt under the part of the seat nearest the front of the bike. I still haven't screwed it back, because the lock is cheep and tries to keep my key each time. Just make sure if it's still sticking you don't use it until you get new locks (not too expensive) for the scooter. I got a key stuck in a lock and wasn't able to ride my bike anymore.

Oh is it the latch or the lock you put the key into to make the latch open?

skuttadawg
08-01-2013, 11:14 PM
I removed the body and thought it was right when I installed it but the latch ( worked on first try test ) came out so the key would turn but not release it . I got the key stuck halfway turning it . Luckily I did not have the huge screw in the front reinstalled . I removed the hinge screw and could lift the front section up a bit and moved the seat to the side and got it to release . I damaged the keyhole big time but it still locks . I will have to get a new key set as for my model it is only sold with ignition and glove box hardware instead of only the seat latch .

Should you ever need to replace it check out Scrappys by body style here http://www.scrappydogscooters.com/CHASSIS_PARTS.html

DaveC
08-06-2013, 10:58 AM
As an update, this morning I was finally able to get it to pop. It appears the cable was still attached but had loosened up. I only just managed to get a finger around the cable that attaches to the lock barrel and pulled on it as I turned the key. Needless to say, my forearm isn't looking so flash right now. Now I have it open I'm going to see what adjustment is possible in there to tighten the mechanism back up.

You musta got one of them female cables.
The one that only works when it feels like it