PDA

View Full Version : 2012 TaoTao Powermax 150, Help Key stuck, so frustrated

ckizer
07-29-2013, 08:55 AM
So I just bought a 2012 TaoTao Powermax (posted a picture earlier http://scootdawg.net/showthread.php?p=521900#post521900 )

Like all Chinese scooters the keys and locks are extremely poor. I arrive at work and go to open the trunk to get my phone and wallet out. However it didn't open this time, and now the key is stuck in the trunk lock! I only have one key!

I've jiggled it, shaken and tried everything. I'm going to ask maintenance here at the office for WD40 and a pliers.

How can I get my key out of the trunk lock? I'm terrified of breaking it off. It's also my ride home. Please, please somebody help give me advice. I'll be on the forums all day here on my computer.

Suggestions?

ckizer
07-29-2013, 10:21 AM
I'm not experienced at all with cars/motorcycles/scooters. I'm an experienced electrical engineer but still have trouble figuring out where to take apart my scooter.

Got Key Out, but it gets worse…

So I tried vice grips and WD40 with the seat still on. I tried so hard that I twisted the key some. Now I'm really upset, fearing that the scooter I just got yesterday (used) won't even let me get home.

The shame of having to call a family member to pick me up… was beginning to be a real possibility :lmao:

I take the bolt off under the seat and completely remove the seat. I jingle while pressing the latch for the seat in. FINALLY the twisted key comes out.

I carefully test it in the ignition. ALL is good. However now I need a new key!
Is this something somebody locally can make? Where can I get this key made.

My plan: (Please give feedback)

1) Get a new key made asap during lunch.
2) Order a set of new locks from one of the preferred forum vendors (hopefully replacing in a week)

PS Also curious if it had been broken (i don't understand front wheels locking?) would i have been able to reach in there and hotwire it? I could clearly see the wires.

Here's the photos and a video of me losing my mind.

Video:
http://kizer.me/angry.mov

Any suggestions? Where to get a key made? Or tricks to keep the key working for the rest of the week? (This is my only transportation till Friday)

Thanks everybody!

ckizer
07-29-2013, 01:12 PM
I found a place in Fort Wayne called Koehlinger lock and key. They were able to make me a new key using a kawasaki based key. This will keep me in good shape until I decide to rekey all the locks.

ckizer
07-29-2013, 01:14 PM
Does anyone know if the taotao powermax 150 mirrors are 8mm or 10mm? 8mm seems really common, but the only mirrors I saw online that looked similar were 10mm. Any trick to figure it out without buying a caliper?

I need one new mirror.

inuyasha
07-29-2013, 01:14 PM
I found a place in Fort Wayne called Koehlinger lock and key. They were able to make me a new key using a kawasaki based key. This will keep me in good shape until I decide to rekey all the locks.
Hi
Outstanding
So glad you got it worked out so swiftly and easily
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank