PDA

View Full Version : 1st Scooter Today, 150cc TaoTao VIP 2012

ckizer
07-27-2013, 09:53 PM
Just bought my first scooter today. It runs great! I drove it 38 miles home from purchase.

has 200miles on it. It's the blue powermac vip 150cc. Paid $500 guy was selling it because he lost his job but didn't wanna sell it.

He said the front right strut is leaking oil (broken) i can't find anything online about replacement struts. He said he saw a kit on ebay for $80.

Can somebody point me in the right direction? Also the horn doesn't work, should I start with the switch?

How about if i wanna replace the chrome muffler (it's getting spotted rust) and I'd like to make it look nice. Where can I buy parts online?

Is there an official name for my scooter model?

I'm so excited to own a scooter! Recently I got rear ended by a cop car while he was texting on his phone, destroying my car and pretty much messing my life up. Scooter for now.

ckizer
07-27-2013, 09:59 PM
I guess I should have searched for front fork instead. Is this what I need?
http://www.scrappydogscooters.com/Handsome_Boy_parts.html

ckizer
07-27-2013, 10:54 PM
Also there are foot pegs in the back. How do I fold them out? I can't figure it for the life off me and it's making me nuts. I tried pulling them out, but they won't budge. Do I have the angle wrong or what?

ventoman
07-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Scrappydogscooter fork should be the one you need. Footpegs should simply fold out ,if not they are to tight.

wheelbender6
07-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Try testing the horn by running a long test wire directly from your battery. If the horn works that way, you have a switch or wiring problem. If not, get a new horn.

ckizer
07-29-2013, 08:48 AM
Wheelbender and ventoman, thanks for the tips… I got a new problem today, key is stuck not in the ignition but in the trunk lock! it won't come out, no matter what I do…

jimvip
07-31-2013, 11:47 AM
how fast does your 150cc vip go flat out? i have a 50cc 2012 vip in great condition with 90cc kit with stainless steel piston an rod kit and she's on a 150 frame but has 50 cc motor no plates need but she will do 67.5 on flat surf, we did 1/4 mile an 0 to 60 in 4.6 sec's kinda scary has lot's of torq, i am disabilid and need a trike wanting to sell this or trade for a 50cc trike that has some mods so it goes at lest 50mph on flat surf, but finding one around my area thats worth trade is a joke so if you here of any one close to me i live in richmond ind i have all paper work were i bought bike so it's legal but can't have paper work were had work done. don't give up my secrit's lol. but she's nice wish they made cheap trike kit's for these would make life easy for us who are broke and disabiled but no every thing's got to cost more then you make in 2 months. took me a yr to save for this vip and another 4 months to save for engine rebuild and mod so got $1700 in her paid $975 shipped to me in crate put togther took 3 days for me i have no friends since i quit drinking 8yrs ago so i was suffering. rode 275 miles before i got sick of top end being 30mph down hill so i had engine sent to a shop that does what i wanted and set me back $525 for rebuild and $100 on stainless piston and rod and another 100 to make work on auto tran's had to replace plastic part's for metal part's so when taking off it would not snapp plastic shift gears and had to put heavy timing chain and gears in to handel torq as well as high end belt and coil and plug cdi wasn't changed? i have a racing cdi it's blue has led green light's in it when i plug it up it only lights up 4 out of 8 led' so i read instructions and it recommended for my up grade to open back of cdi turn speed dial to 65mph and it should run that safe and have a 1/4 throttle left which will allow for a little faster but don't do 70 or 75 to much heat can harm plug and coil if your mod has fan cooled engine then 70 to 75 is ok. so i hooked up some 12 volt big computer fans and mounted them on a home made rack aimed them toward engine so air was hitting engine and turned to top end 80 closed box and started i could feel difference in idle like harly mini and i loaded it on truck took it to a road thats black topped but no cars old secton of hwy it's 3 1/2 miles from one end to other and smooth black top no dips gravel nothing. we have drags there on racing lawn mower ridsers and scooters cars trucks all we want it's safe we have hay baill's alng side 2 high for safty. but back to it my friend has 100cc dirt bike that goes 90 miles hr top end and bottom end drops to 89 to 86 so we thought it best cause my scooter has top end torq and low end stays same but with adding this cdi from another older small tao tao i just didn't know so i ran a few tests to see if she would mess up an smooth as butter so we jit it i was doing 89 in 5.9 sec and had 1/4 throttle left or more he was maxed and ahead by full length so i pulled back fully open throttle and hit 103mph scary as shit those small wheels are narley at those speeds feel every bump in road so we crusied them back chating he wanted bike bad but he has no trike so no trike or cash to buy one and have it speeded up to road worthy he don't have and won't pay 1,700 might get me a new one but i need more to make her rock as she should you know got to feel wind now just ssmall breezzz but hay some one will want put racing cdi back on small tao tao so if i sell this for what's in her i can use the cdi on my trikke so at lest 40 mph on flat lands thanks for allowing me the time to share my story. and god blees if you are close to richmond ind and or you have a trike 50cc scooter you will trade for this over top engine rebuild so you can play just email me at fred 47374@aol.com with saying"trade2012vip4trike" so i know and word of warning to all who spam people who see this my email has a program on it if you send me crap or a virus it stops it and reports ip address it came from to aol or who ever you use. and it auto returns to orig, sender not the one u used tracking cookie on. so god bless stay safe

Guest_3
07-31-2013, 06:51 PM
Holy crap !!, I've never seen a run'on sentence that loooong until now. :wtf:

That hurts my eyes just trying to read it. :ugh:.

ckizer
08-01-2013, 12:27 AM
jimvip It was great to hear about your bike! My 150cc 2012 VIP PowerMax has gone at 72mph according to the GPS, and I let off the bike handle. I was terrified and running out of road. I'm just happy that it goes over 55mph. Everyone talks about wanting 75mph in a scooter, but if you ever do get up to 75mph you will be scared crap-less. I can't believe it went that fast, but it has been tuned up a bit by a performance motorcycle shop.

I'm going to upgrade the stator, and trying to figure out the bulbs in the turn signals so I can replace them with LEDs. My new front forks will be here by Friday (thanks to scrappy dog) One that is in place hopefully my muffler and other stuff will stop vibrating the heck off the bike :-D

PS. Jimvip add some line breaks (hit return) a few times between sections. Makes it a lot easier to read! I am close to richmond Indiana! Something I'm learning is don't put expensive upgrades in the bike if you want to sell it. I'm adding some nice upgrades and will have spent $500. The problem is nobody wants to buy a VIP scooter for $1,700 even if you put that much into it. Why? Well even if they know all about bikes if they are looking at at VIP they are trying to get a good deal under $500. If somebody wants to spend $1,700 on a scooter they probably would just buy a used vespa. I know it's not what you want to hear, but you probably have to sell the bike for under $1,000. Especially in Indiana. Maybe post it on craiglist as a racing scooter?

Only spend a lot o money upgrading a VIP style scooter if you plan to not sell it later… or at least that's what I 'm learning