PDA

View Full Version : Taillight issue

Suprtigr
07-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Recently I noticed my tail running light has gone out although the brake function of that same light works fine. It came back on for an hour or so then the next morning it was out and hasn't been on since and the braking function of the light still works. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks guys. :)

watcher64
07-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Could be a lot of things, bulb going bad, socket going bad, loose wire, broken wire , so on and so forth ...

I'd try a new bulb and cleaning the socket first ... but test it before you put it back together ....

jct842
07-16-2013, 05:13 PM
Yes a new bulb is not going to hurt but it is not the bulb, as they usually do not go bad then fix them selves. The contacts are another story, and so are the connectors/plugs and wires that go back there. If you do not have a multi meter now is the time to get one and learn how to use it. Get a wiring diagram for your particular scooter and then you can trouble shoot this and other malidys. john

techie610
07-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Clean it with a light wire brush, make sure you don't push the back plate out of course.
And smear a bit of Dielectric grease in there.

watcher64
07-16-2013, 10:31 PM
I suggested the bulb from personal experience, had one that the contact on the bulb had vibrated the solder joint loose .. It would go on an off at will ... Was quite annoying ... LOL

Suprtigr
07-17-2013, 12:17 AM
Thank you all for your helpful advice and yes, looks like it is time for a new multi meter. Thanks again. :thanks: