PDA

View Full Version : Tomos nitro 50 question

Suprtigr
07-13-2013, 07:31 PM
I have a new 2012 tomos nitro 50 and I had a major question. I can't figure out what's limiting the speed. I understand I can't push it passed the 31mph but even coasting down the hill it won't exceed 31mph tested with a gps and it just limits it. I don't understand because I thought there was a Rev limiter not a limiter that would stop me from coasting past 31. Any help would be great. Also it has 540miles on it and it had its 300mile maintenance . When it got its maintenance they said they took the washer out of the cvt so I'm stuck. :/ please help. I appreciate it. :thanks:

inuyasha
07-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Hi
Possibilities include a restrictor plate in the intake manifold, a restrictor in the exhaust manifold, washer in the cvt, rev limited cdi and you may want to change your roller weights torque and clutch springs and main gears
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

Suprtigr
07-13-2013, 08:01 PM
But could all those things stop me from coasting down a big hill past 31mph? Even if I don't have the throttle open at all the darned thing won't exceed 31 down a hill. I thought all those mods would help the engine push it better not affect it's coasting speed. I never seen a scooter being restricted coasting down a hill. Thank you very much for your reply.

teddy554
07-13-2013, 11:06 PM
But could all those things stop me from coasting down a big hill past 31mph? Even if I don't have the throttle open at all the darned thing won't exceed 31 down a hill. I thought all those mods would help the engine push it better not affect it's coasting speed. I never seen a scooter being restricted coasting down a hill. Thank you very much for your reply.
My cpi was the same way, there was a wire running from the cdi to inside the cvt, that would not let me go over 35 no matter what. don't know why, but onced removed never had a issue with it, i also replaced my cdi.

Suprtigr
07-14-2013, 02:31 PM
I appreciate your help Hank, and I appreciate your story teddy, both are really helpful. If you could tell me more about this wire from the CDI to the CVT that would help me a bit more, also could i remove the wire without replacing the CDI? If I could get that done while I wait for my new CDI from scrappydogscooters that would be really nice. Thanks again guys. =]

teddy554
07-14-2013, 07:53 PM
I appreciate your help Hank, and I appreciate your story teddy, both are really helpful. If you could tell me more about this wire from the CDI to the CVT that would help me a bit more, also could i remove the wire without replacing the CDI? If I could get that done while I wait for my new CDI from scrappydogscooters that would be really nice. Thanks again guys. =]

I took the wire off when i replaced the cdi with mine(not sure if this is your issue) but the wire ran to the inside the cvt where it had a pick up on the clutch like on the flywheel not sure how it work but here is a picture to of the cdi it had a connection about 2inch from the cdi, i think you could cut it or disconnect it if you had the wire and stop it from working.
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h479/teddyc554/IMG_20120310_223233.jpg (http://s1111.photobucket.com/user/teddyc554/media/IMG_20120310_223233.jpg.html)

thumper650
07-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Supr-
The Nitro 50 has 2 restrictions. First is the washer in the CVT. It's nylon I think and i've heard you can remove it without taking the pulleys out. Suppossedly you can break it and take it off. I removed mine when I did my belt change.
Second, the CDI box is limited. I got the red (mine looks pink) CDI off ebay with no rev limiter. I think the CDI is DC. Double check that.
This will make your tomos faster, just keep an eye on your tach and don't blow it up!

Suprtigr
07-27-2013, 11:13 AM
The dealer said he removed the washer in the cvt and I did end up getting a new CDI. About the revs, what's safe for my scooter? The red line starts at 8k rpm. I run it at 8k to 9k 9.5k at MOST.

skuttadawg
08-14-2013, 12:46 AM
http://www.scootnfast.com/scooter/Tuning_mods/De-Restricting.htm

prazo
02-26-2015, 03:28 AM
I just took out variator ring and replaced original CDI with ebay bought unrestricted CDI (15$) and it goes up to 65 km/h according to speedometer. But you should be careful not to overdo rpms, 9500 seems about right. Without restricted CDI rpm would go up to 11.500 which is not good for engine.. But I think you can do corrections with heavier roller weights.

dwint51
02-26-2015, 05:13 AM
Sounds like his rollers might be to heavy.i went from five gram rollers at 7000rpms to 4gram sliders and not i hit 8000rpms and eight mph faster.best money can buy us a performance variator.got a koso from ebay for 30 and what a differance.need sliders.i will never use rollers again

prazo
07-10-2015, 01:56 AM
I need an advice.. I have unrestricted CDI and the engine would go up to 11k RPM or even more, sky is the limit! :) Since this can't be good for the engine, I keep it at 8,5 - 9k myself, the speed is 60 km/h. How can I maintain the same RPM and rise the speed? Heavier (lighter) roller weights? How 'bout sliders?
I was told that stock roller weights are 6g. So, 5g sliding roller weights?