PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much? redline query

ziGGYzaGG
07-10-2013, 08:57 AM
So in effort to wring a little more giddyup out of my scoot,
I replaced the stock variator with a more aggressively ramped
unit and am currently running 36g. I also just replaced the weak
stock contra spring for a 1500rpm and left the stock pad springs.
I do indeed note an improvement in excelleration.
Not much at initial take off... guessing too much weight
in the variator (ordered a set of 4g rollers)
The increase in mid throttle acceleration is apparent.
That is in part what I had been trying to achieve.
My issue now is, I feel like I am revving the snot out
of this poor little engine. My scoot has a stock tach that
don't put a ton of faith in as to its accuracy, but this
thing is going from zero to 9k rpm fast and staying in the red
at cruise. I am afraid I'm gonna grind this engine into
a pile of chinese pot metal dust before I wear out a stock set of sheng
hooey tires. So how much is too much? :scoot:

larrball
07-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Hey ziggy,
For a 4t (fore stroke) I would keep the RPM's no more then 8K.
Now you'r not going to blow it up at 8K-- but if you ride it for long at 8k.. you might be walking.
6k is ideal at full WOT, on a flat/slight upgrade, given your weight is around 120-160.

And no fat girlfriends on the back with you, trust me i know.... errrr and so did my friends at work and it was ONLY a sunday ride but come work day monday.... well never mind.

Just kiddin about the sunday ride it really was saterday :)

ziGGYzaGG
07-11-2013, 12:08 AM
I actually weigh around 225 and dropping..
Anyways thanks for the reply. I figured this little 4 stroke
was gonna suffer down the line if I keep winding it out like
this. Would a lighter spring; say 1000 rpm, wind the r's as high
as the 1500 I have in now and would the 1k spring be an improvement
over the stocker? As a note: I haven't swapped out the stock clutch springs
in favor of the "HP" ones that came with the big spring. What difference would installing
those make.. could that be why my engine is winding out so hard??
Oh yeah.. got my 4 gram rollers today. Day off tomorrow. Wrenchin!

inuyasha
07-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Hi
You want heavier roller weights not lighter, those 4 gram weights will most likely raise your rpms even higher
http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/roller-weight-guide.html
I would get a roller tuning kit and experiment until you find the proper weight for your riding needs
http://www.scooterworks.com/prima-roller-weight-tuning-kit--16x13--3g-to-14g--products-1935.php#.Ud758DvrwSk
Once you find the weight then get a set of quality rollers or sliders as the tuning ones are not for every day use, Dr pulleys or ncy are my recommendations
if you decide on sliders( which are my preference) go up 1 gram over the roller weight, so if 6 gram rollers are perfect go with 7 gram sliders
Hope this helps
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

larrball
07-11-2013, 06:36 PM
What Hank said.
I too have 2 set's of DR pullys a set of 5G and a set of 7G and mix 3 and 3 of each to get 6G overall.
Works Great for my scooter 6K on the rpm's at about 35MPH and room to go on the throttle up to a burst of 8K rpm when needed at about 45MPH.
Keep in mind im 120 soaking wet and set my scoot for me and only me so your mileage will vary.

epyon96r
07-12-2013, 12:03 AM
the lower the better, as far as the engine life goes, ive gotten my rpms up to 9,250 a couple times but i try to stay 8k or below. if speed is a problem, I read that you could change out your final gears or tune your cvt. OR...is it possible to order a larger rear tire, that will fit on ur current rim? just an idea...

ziGGYzaGG
07-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the replies folks. I have been messing with variator / clutch for a few days now.
I put my contra spring back to stock and installed a racing variator. I have been experimenting
with rollers. I tried running 4gm rollers. The take off was great.. the acceleration ramped up nice..
but the r's were again pretty quick to redline. I noticed that in cruising range; 28-32 gps MPH, my
tach still hangs in the 7k (Chinatach) range with a burst to top speed and 8-9k.. (36mph).
I like the performance with the light rollers and racing variator, but again, I'm gonna kill this
purring chunk of potmetal real fast (I fear) I like Chinabikes.. this one has potential..I refer a lot
to these engines as potmetal affectionately. . All that aside, heavier weights are bogging down take off for me. Granted the engine cruises at more relaxed RPMs.. but at the cost of sluggish take off. I know its a 50 (wink-wink) cc engine and it is limited. Now I'm pondering gearing or a 72cc big bore kit..