PDA

View Full Version : New Tao tao 50 underperforming

recoverypunk
06-22-2013, 07:52 PM
I have owned a Tao tao 50 before and it rode pretty decent with good speed and fairly awesome acceleration from a stop (for a 50cc). That bike was stolen so I purchased a new one and it seems to under perform compared to my old one. Its slower and doesnt have near the acceleration. Its particularly bad on hills. I adjusted the idle to just below back wheel spinning and that did a little but not much. Is there anything I can do to get this new bike to perform as well as my older one? The new bike is a 2013 model and my old one was a 2011...

lykos23
06-22-2013, 08:29 PM
There are LOTS of performance upgrades you can do. To me it sounds like your variator weights are just different from your first tao. Try buying a 16x13 variator weight tuning kit and figuring out which weight setup works for you. Then replace the variator roller weights with Dr. Pulley slider weights 1g higher than the weight you've selected as your favorite. http://www.scooterworks.com/prima-roller-weight-tuning-kit--16x13--3g-to-14g--products-1935.php#.UcZBVk1jjcc

Next you will need a new torque spring, and without the proper tools you will need to have that professionally installed. 1.5k should have you tackling those hills.

Your takeoff acceleration can be fixed with new clutch springs. depending on what rpm you'd like to go when taking off off the line you will want either 1k, 1.5k, or 2k clutch springs. You will not lose topend, but you may lose your lower end speeds due to the higher rpms which your clutch engages.

You may need to derestrict your exhaust, carburetor, variator, and even air box if there are any restrictions.

Hope this helps...

recoverypunk
06-22-2013, 09:29 PM
thanks and if i knew anything about small engines it would help. i dont and that sounds like a lot of stuff that i probably could do but probably dont want to take on myself so as not to damage the scooter. its brand new, under 20km. i jut remember the old bike and how it just took off from lights. is there anything i can do easily like just an adjustment or something?

recoverypunk
06-22-2013, 09:31 PM
how easy are any of the things you suggested?

smoak
06-22-2013, 09:34 PM
If the bike is running well otherwise, I would say that there probably isn't much in the way of adjustment that will help. Lykos is really dead on with the suggestions.

the main tool you would need to do the work is an impact wrench, and an electric one can be had for cheap at harbor freight or similar store.

Is there a scooter shop anywhere close to you that could do the work if you can't do it yourself?

Smoak

recoverypunk
06-22-2013, 09:44 PM
sadly there isnt a scooter shop near me, which is a shame because there are many scooter riders in my area. the bike seems to be running well and maybe i am just reacting because it is new and not really broken in yet but i remember my old bike being much faster (a co-worker clocked me doing 52mph on a slight downhill). i dont need to go 50+mph but i would like to have a decent take-off from lights and not lose major speed up hills.

smoak
06-22-2013, 09:48 PM
sadly there isnt a scooter shop near me, which is a shame because there are many scooter riders in my area. the bike seems to be running well and maybe i am just reacting because it is new and not really broken in yet but i remember my old bike being much faster (a co-worker clocked me doing 52mph on a slight downhill). i dont need to go 50+mph but i would like to have a decent take-off from lights and not lose major speed up hills.

Well, there are tons of great scoot mechanics right here that can talk you through a roller/slider change if you decide to do the work yourself!

Impact wrench and a decent little metric wrench set is about all you need to do it.

Smoak

lykos23
06-22-2013, 10:29 PM
how easy are any of the things you suggested?
Well, let's just say that six months ago I had absolutely no experience with motors of any kind what-so-ever. But by now I've done just about every performance upgrade to my scooter. I'll warn you that it just takes some patience.

If you can't afford an impact wrench then this video should help some:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYCasW5pY24
I've never used an impact wrench in my life, so I can't help you much there, haha.

There's a small chance your former scooter may have been a "Secret 60", a 63cc engine disguised as a 49cc. With most 49cc scooters 45mph is tops, even with the optimistic speedometer and all the mods. A 63cc could possibly reach speeds of 50mph though the gears would limit it to roughly 50mph max.

If you're just looking for faster takeoff, better acceleration, and all around better performance then there are a bunch of easy simple upgrades you can do, like the ones mentioned. But if you want to go all out and really get 50mph on flats with your scooter you're going to need a Big Bore Kit.

Oh, and your scooter will get a little bit faster with breaking it in some. Give it another 1k miles and she should be nice and broken in. :tup:

prodigit
06-23-2013, 08:46 PM
Check the spark plug gap.
Make sure you get BP Premium fuel (the Tao Tao's are running lean, so they can use the better fuel boost).

If all that is ok, then I think they where stopped and went back from 63cc engines to 49cc engines.

skuttadawg
06-24-2013, 12:18 PM
http://www.provoscooter.com/tuning and http://www.scootnfast.com/scooter/Tuning_mods/De-Restricting.htm

ziGGYzaGG
06-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Working on your own scoot can be intimidating at first, but if you are mechanically inclined, its a breeze.
There are so many good resources for the fledgling enthusiast. scoot dawg is prob. the best I have found.

skuttadawg
06-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Get this http://www.spi-parts.com/gy6-airsal-81cc-big-bore-cylinder-kit-02350150.html and a new carb will help

shadog7
07-28-2015, 04:16 PM
How do u do the exhaust derestriction on my atm a1.

bull
07-29-2015, 04:36 AM
How do u do the exhaust derestriction on my atm a1.

I doubt that it has a restriction, but to check and or remove it, drop the exhaust off. Look in the end that connects to the engine cylinder head. If a restriction is there it is real obvious (a blockage). It would have to be removed with a Rotary Air File, a deburring bit, or a drill.

Just don't let the parts fall into the exhaust w/o getting them out.