PDA

View Full Version : Tired of Tires

sanmar
06-22-2013, 04:35 PM
I have been online shopping for days for new Tires. Michelin's, Pirelli's, Shinko, Kenda, Vee Rubber...With tube, without tube. My head is spinning. Which one's are the best for the money? Which one's should I get? Anybody have recommendations? Any testimonials? Thanks!

lykos23
06-22-2013, 07:06 PM
I use Pirelli SL-26 tires and I must say they have excellent grip and they're like riding on air compared to my old chinese tires.

smoak
06-22-2013, 09:27 PM
I think I currently have a Pirelli in the back and an Avon in the front. I wouldn't want to ride on a tube-in tire... tubeless is my preference. When it comes to tires, you get what you pay for. A cheap tire is just that---cheap.

If your paying $18.00 plus shipping on an ebay tire, you are probably going to get a stock Chinese factory tire, and I wouldn't recommend that.

My top choices for motorcycle tires are:
Pirelli
Avon
Michellin
Kenda

In that order. There are some other good tires out there, but those are the ones I have always had good luck with.

One of the more important things about a MC tire change is a good balancing. you might take your entire bike and the tire into a local MC shop and they will tell you they wont touch it... But... If you pull the wheel and take them just the wheel and new tire they will most likely mount the new rubber and balance it, as well.

The ride and handling of your bike will be 100% better with good rubber that has been balanced!

hope this helps!

Smoak

spandi
06-23-2013, 04:25 AM
I have been online shopping for days for new Tires. Michelin's, Pirelli's, Shinko, Kenda, Vee Rubber...With tube, without tube. My head is spinning. Which one's are the best for the money? Which one's should I get? Anybody have recommendations? Any testimonials? Thanks!

It's easy, out of your whole list just pick the Italian ones! :nod::yay:

inuyasha
06-23-2013, 12:30 PM
Hi
Another Pirelli user here
They have a smooth stable ride in all weather conditions
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

jct842
06-23-2013, 05:56 PM
Pirelli here too. I have 3 scooters and all wear pirelli's. The one thing that can kill you the quickest with a scooter is a tire failing, and I don't mean blowing out I mean loosing just enough traction to let you contact the ground or a car or what have you. A good sticky tire is the best insurance money can buy.

techie610
06-24-2013, 10:34 AM
The Michelin Pilot Sport is the best tire I have ever come in contact with.

sanmar
06-24-2013, 11:44 AM
Thank you all of you! I found this very helpful. I will prob go with the Prelli's. Thanks again!

skuttadawg
06-24-2013, 11:57 AM
I have Pirellis ordered for my 2T . Make sure to get them balanced and I would also replace the stem with a 90 degree type as many stock stems tend to leak

spandi
06-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Get the Bolt-through-the-rim kind. (As the Chinese OEM ones are press fit.)

http://kurveygirl.com/shop/index.php?cPath=169

inuyasha
06-24-2013, 12:18 PM
I have Pirellis ordered for my 2T . Make sure to get them balanced and I would also replace the stem with a 90 degree type as many stock stems tend to leak
Hi Kevin
Thats excellent advice
I change mine for a higher quality as well
Im using these presently
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/bikemaster-valve-stem/315-1787.aspx
Take care and rider safely dear friend
Yours Hank

sanmar
06-24-2013, 01:14 PM
That's a great idea too. Thanks. been shopping for Pirelli's, and Michelins. It has been difficult to find anything for the Kymco oddly enough (80/80/16). but the Roketa found them pretty easily. when I find the rest i'll let you know. thanks

smoak
06-24-2013, 04:19 PM
That's a great idea too. Thanks. been shopping for Pirelli's, and Michelins. It has been difficult to find anything for the Kymco oddly enough (80/80/16). but the Roketa found them pretty easily. when I find the rest i'll let you know. thanks

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/michelin-city-grip-reinforced-s-rated-front-tire/190-879863.aspx

this is a 90/80-16 Michelin tire. It should fit, as long as your forks can handle a 10mm wider tire. Should be same ride height.

Smoak

sanmar
06-24-2013, 05:21 PM
I was wondering about that. Visually the clearance looks fine. Thanks I was struggling to find something!

inuyasha
06-24-2013, 05:33 PM
Hi
Dyna Beads work exceptionally well for balancing your tires i use them in all of my vehicles
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/HowItWorks.htm
Main site
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

techie610
06-24-2013, 05:39 PM
With respect, I do not believe those beads work.
Just doesn't make sense to me, and the guys at the tire shop said they didn't see positive or negative results.
Either way, I use Green Slime to help avoid flats, and I know that works. I don't think the beads would work in the slime.

inuyasha
06-24-2013, 06:22 PM
With respect, I do not believe those beads work.
Just doesn't make sense to me, and the guys at the tire shop said they didn't see positive or negative results.
Either way, I use Green Slime to help avoid flats, and I know that works. I don't think the beads would work in the slime.
Hi
Try em out personally before you dismiss them so lightly
Ive been using them for years and imho they do work well and as advertised
Take care and ride safely my friend
Yours Hank

sanmar
06-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Thanks Hank. I am currently using Ride-On in the Roketa, and it seams to work well. Are the Dynabeads better?

sanmar
06-25-2013, 10:55 AM
And you too Techie. My bad

inuyasha
06-25-2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks Hank. I am currently using Ride-On in the Roketa, and it seams to work well. Are the Dynabeads better?
Hi
Dyna beads are for balancing tires in that regard that work well they are not a tire sealant so a comparison is moot
I personally have no knowledge of Ride On or any other tire sealant as i dont like to use them in any of my personal vehicles
I carry a tire repair kit in case of a flat tire and then its only used to get me to where i can purchase and replace the damaged one with a new tire asap
Take care and ride safely my friend
Yours Hank

ltdHPP
07-08-2013, 12:47 PM
I just put a pair of Avon Viper Stryke on mine... they have great dry traction but I'm not sure about them in the rain... Leaning into turns (dry) feels great, but all I have to compare them to is the old Kenda knobby dual-sport tires that were on them... they didn't feel good in the corners...
I try not to ride in the rain, so I was shopping for tires that put the most rubber on the road. Folks that ride in the rain should get something with a little more tread...
It may have been because it was a fresh hot summer rain, but the one time I rode wet on the Avons, my back tire wanted to slide on me with anything more than smooth 'normal' braking!!!

Also, I didn't balance mine, and they feel fine at 65mph...

http://4wheelonline.com/motorcycle/images/AVON/avon_sc_viper_l.jpg

sanmar
07-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Ty for the info!

prodigit
07-09-2013, 06:29 AM
I don't know if it's ever been mentioned, but on tires you can read a lot more than their profile width, height, and rim size.
There's info on there that tells you how many miles the tire is rated for, and what the max speed is.

Usually the higher the top speed of the tire, the higher the mileage.
The harder the tire, the higher the mileage
The softer the tire, the better the grip.

So there's a tradeoff.
Some companies try to get better grip, by increasing contact surface to the road, but if it ever rains, you don't want to ride around in slicks.
So there's a tradeoff too.

Your tire profile should be able to run through water(deflect it), while still have a large portion of the tire touch the road. Especially on a motorcycle, there's usually a strip smaller than 1 by 1 inch touching the asphalt.

ALPHADOG8NINE
06-12-2014, 08:16 PM
I hope I am not saying this in the wrong place, as I am not very familiar with forums.... I am going to start riding. I do not yet have my temps (getting them this week), but I picked up a cheap chinese scooter the other day. It is a Shenke YY150T-12 or 4, title says 12, body of the scooter says 4... Anyways, I have been starting it up daily and pushing it to the garage door to do so. (because of fumes). Today, I noticed my rear tire was deflated. Like usual, I hooked up my "Slime" air compressor and proceeded to pump up the tire. Once it was full, I went to remove the compressor hose, and my entire brass stem came off! I have been reading on here, and it seems like I need to replace it with the kind that screws on from inside with a nut. That being said, how do I know exactly what size the hole in the rim is? I plan on buying some pirelli's once I get riding, as my tires have good tread, and I won't be dragging knee while learning to ride! lol I would really appreciate some help with this if possible. Thanks everyone. And feel free to tell me I'm in the wrong place in the forum...

ALPHADOG8NINE
06-20-2014, 05:53 PM
So... I ended up taking the wheels and tires to a local moto shop and paid $60 just to get the valve stems replaced! At least Im able to ride now I guess..

cheapeto
06-20-2014, 10:24 PM
Heres my tire story, I put on a set of Michelin City Grips on last week. I ask the shop to not balance them, as was suggested to me.
They told me to first ride about a 100 miles, and then IF you felt it was needed add 1 ounce of tyre beads in the front, and 2 ounces in the rear, for our 12" tires.
IMHO, the ride is different. Can I say it was like night to day? Nah, but the beads did work as weights do.
Now since wednesday morning, I've put almost 800 miles running from PA to NC, and all through the twisty curvy wonderful rodes here in the Blue Ridge mountains.
These tires are road glue, and just love the curves, wet or dry.
I dont mean any disrespect to anyones opinions.