PDA

View Full Version : Scooters and Image (What are your stories?)

Zouflain
06-14-2013, 12:25 PM
I'm new to the world of scooters and I find myself curious and looking to brace for the worst. After all, people are shallow, materialistic, and aggressively conformist.

That said, do you guys get the sort of flak that's stereotypically directed at scooter owners? I know the harley crowd and that sort of clique will never be sweet and kind to outsiders or what they perceive as "imitators," but I mean in general. Has your choice of a scooter over hottest new mustang or whatnot ever aversely affected you? Conversely, has it ever been a boon? I'd love to hear your stories. Thanks.

amac1680
06-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Hi,

Others will tell you they have had issues and I don't doubt them.
I have never had "mean spirited" stuff thrown at me and I put in tons of miles. I ride with other scoots and have scooted with my HD friends no issue.

You get back what you project, I'm confident with my choice of bike and most HD types, and I was once one, like that.

Yep there are butt-heads out there but the rare comment doesn't bother me. When it happens I wave or make a little joke. I've dealt with far worse.

All the best.

Be Big,
AMAC

mrmike
06-14-2013, 04:18 PM
Zouflain

I owned a Harley FXSTD for 13 years and enjoyed riding it. When I hit 68, I decided to get something lighter and more manageable. Last year, I sold the Harley and bought a People 150. I rode it all summer, and really enjoyed it. The only downside was the limited (60mph) top end on the interstates. Last fall I sold the 150, and in January I bought a GTI300. I never looked back. My only regret is that I didn't buy a scooter sooner. Most Harley riders are pretty decent folks, and you can just ignore the others. Ride safe.

inuyasha
06-14-2013, 06:14 PM
Hi
I ride what makes me happy, i could care less what others may think
And i love own and ride motorbikes of all shapes and sizes
http://www.scootdawg.net/album.php?albumid=9
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

spandi
06-15-2013, 01:40 AM
Just get yourself a vintage Topper scooter made by Harley-Davidson. (They won't be able to say anything! :hehe:)

qwertydude
06-15-2013, 02:31 AM
Don't think that scooter owners aren't part an parcel to this type of behavior either. Try to take your scooter to a Vespa club if you want to see brand snobbery as bad as, if not worse, than the new typical Harley riders.

amac1680
06-15-2013, 05:56 AM
Don't think that scooter owners aren't part an parcel to this type of behavior either. Try to take your scooter to a Vespa club if you want to see brand snobbery as bad as, if not worse, than the new typical Harley riders.

You speak the truth sir.

Be Big,
AMAC

spandi
06-15-2013, 01:08 PM
I hate to say it ....but yeah, Vespa snobbery is pretty bad. I just race em' for pink slips (End up selling more Vespas that way :lmao:)

sanmar
06-17-2013, 02:55 PM
My Girlfriend and I started riding our scooters about a year and a half ago. We really love it, and we get "the wave" from mostly our biker brothers, but recently are getting some responses from our fellow scooterists. It made us feel good to get it from the bikers, and I am sure the scooterists at this point are just ignorant. That is to say, we have not felt disrespected or slighted by anyone here in our small community. We do get a lot of looks, and questions from bikers and cagers alike, but so far it's all been good, except of course from the occasional crappy drivers, but I get that when driving a car too! I am sure there are some negative people out here, but none that we really can see so far. Maybe we just love riding so much we can't tell! Anyway, just get out there and enjoy, be positive and friendly and you will get it back... Most of the time anyway! ;)

richardthescooter1
06-18-2013, 01:56 PM
I have the mc-54-250b roketa scooter, I ride for the most part year round and I love riding and I'm like Hank (I don't care what others think) For the most part I too get the wave from other bikers, Hey, not too long ago I broke down and a HD guy stop to help me, took me to work and later pick up my scoot and took it home for me. (How about that), of course you have some that stub you, but if they would only try a scooter, they would be amazed how much fun they are!

amac1680
06-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Harley riders get kind of a bad rap. At this point the HD guy is far more likely to be at a charity poker run than a brawl.

By the time I sold the Harley I had gone at least 30 years without a black eye...!

Be Big,
AMAC

cookees
06-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Harley Davidson..... Helping Middle-age White Guys Overcompensate since 1913

Houndguy
06-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Great topic. I just wrote about this myself on the blog. Yea, self promotion sucks but whatever. I'm to lazy to cut and paste.

http://2smallerwheels.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-brotherhood-of-two-wheels-scooters.html

Domindart
06-22-2013, 12:50 PM
who cares, I just ride http://content.sweetim.com/sim/cpie/emoticons/0002020F.gif (http://www.sweetim.com/s.asp?im=gen&lpver=3&ref=10)

http://content.sweetim.com/tbsig/sig.asp?img=ad1 (http://www.sweetim.com/s.asp?im=gen&lpver=3&ref=12)

wheelbender6
06-23-2013, 09:18 PM
There are a lot of conformists and "me toos" out there but the genuine people exist. You just need to to be persistent to find them. Ride what works for you and don't worry about what others say.

scootnwinn
06-23-2013, 09:47 PM
Hey I ride a Vespa and I'm not a snob. I can say I get more surprised looks of bewilderment as I leave most bikes in a cloud of blue smoke than insults.

Spandi when do we race. I prefer mountain passes and road tracks, let me know...

tinstar
07-14-2013, 01:16 AM
I have a SYM RV250, red, with a larger windshield, GPS unit, and nice large top box and when I park it next to a motorcycle, there's not much difference in size at all! While riding, I don't think people really know what it is...some kind of combination of a cruiser and a sport bike...?! Unless they hear me take off, they don't have a clue. I'm riding and keeping up with them, getiing off very well from stop signs and lights, and it's well lit with bright headlight and fog lights as well, with halo lights around the headlight...and a nice, big bright rear light. I went to a local cemetery to pay my respects to various people that I know in there, and parked next to two Harley Davidsons. I walked around and saw the Harley guys at a new grave that happened to be their Mom. I told them how sorry I was and we all walked back to our bikes. They immediately turned their attention to my scoot and after checking it out, gave me a thumbs up and a "cool"! I told them that I used to ride big bikes, but as I have gotten older, this works best for me. One of them spoke up and said, "Hey, it's cool Bro...you still got the wind in your face and you're on two wheels!" Ride on!

watcher64
07-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Two wheels is two wheels ...

I have found the worst in my community is the people who think you are only riding a scooter because of a DUI or something like that ... I have "Other" reasons for riding my 50cc scoot .. Yet my scoot gets call a "dui ride" or a "dui scoot" more often than I care to admit, but that is 99% of the time by cagers, and not two wheelers ..

Just about every two wheeler I pass or talk to either waves or gives the thumbs up.

It is just people in general, they want to see bad reasons for everything they don't understand ...

And most people who ride two wheels on a regular bases, powered or un-powered , are a friendly group ...

tinstar
07-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Two wheels is two wheels ...

I have found the worst in my community is the people who think you are only riding a scooter because of a DUI or something like that ... I have "Other" reasons for riding my 50cc scoot .. Yet my scoot gets call a "dui ride" or a "dui scoot" more often than I care to admit, but that is 99% of the time by cagers, and not two wheelers ..

Just about every two wheeler I pass or talk to either waves or gives the thumbs up.

It is just people in general, they want to see bad reasons for everything they don't understand ...

And most people who ride two wheels on a regular bases, powered or un-powered , are a friendly group ...
Here in Virginia, it is against the law for people who have lost their license due to DUI to ride on a scooter. So, we don't have that going on here. Although, I have heard people comment that someone is riding a scooter because of losing their license, but they are not familiar with the law...and if they are doing so, they are breaking the law AGAIN!

watcher64
07-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Here in Virginia, it is against the law for people who have lost their license due to DUI to ride on a scooter. So, we don't have that going on here. Although, I have heard people comment that someone is riding a scooter because of losing their license, but they are not familiar with the law...and if they are doing so, they are breaking the law AGAIN!

Yeah honestly I wish they would pass that in Indiana, gives people riding scooters for "other" reasons a bad rep ..

Here recently a guy beat a DUI charge on his scooter because , he did not need a license, and they are still considered "Motorized Bicycles", so he beat it down to public intoxication .. Still does not mean he was not a menace ..

On a funnier note, a guy beat a speeding ticket on his 50cc scoot, he was going 43 and they gave him a ticket, because the law says "Capable of 25 MPH on a flat surface", he made them define a flat surface, and the road he was on had a like a 9 degree decline .. LOL

spandi
07-14-2013, 07:35 PM
Hey I ride a Vespa and I'm not a snob. I can say I get more surprised looks of bewilderment as I leave most bikes in a cloud of blue smoke than insults.

Spandi when do we race. I prefer mountain passes and road tracks, let me know...I would, but just how do you expect me to ride TWO scoots back down a mountain? :hehe:

finaljudgement
07-14-2013, 10:35 PM
The only negative I have heard was from a guy driving a big 4wheel drive pu. He yelled out learn how to ride a real motorcycle. It struck me as funny since my Goldwing has been my principle ride for a decade. I really like the convenience of the scoots. The are much cooler in the summer (a bit of an issue in Phoenix), they are light, easy to move around, easy to work on. I got hooked when I restored a Piaggio BV 200 for my old boss. Since then I have fixed up 6 scoots that I have given to women in my church (the Scooter Belles) and have four in the garage. I like anything on 2 wheels, but a truck is really useful.

Ride safe,

FinalJudgement

blueboy5000
07-17-2013, 09:10 AM
Harley riders above the age of 20 are usually pretty cool. I have gotten the occasional off comment from them, but they usually STFU once hear 70mpg.

Street bikers are the second-worst, often pushing me off the road, and blasting me with exhaust, and of course loudly calling me a homosexual.

Young kids in "tuner" cars (ie any POS Honda) are terrible, pushing me off the road, throwing sodas, shouting insults ect. But I do think that's just how that crowd acts, I don't think they reserve such behavior for scooters and their riders.

Houndguy
07-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Young kids in "tuner" cars (ie any POS Honda) are terrible, pushing me off the road, throwing sodas, shouting insults ect. But I do think that's just how that crowd acts, I don't think they reserve such behavior for scooters and their riders.

I had that happen to me the other night. I ride a Kymco Xciting 500 and some young punks pulled up next to me at a light. Started disparaging the ride and being dicks (trying to impress the young ladies in back for sure).

The light goes green.

BYE!!!!

Next light there is a >: kid in the car. Now what I didn't tell them and hoped they did know was the police like to hang out up the road a bit. I turn the throttle, he reeves the engine.

The light goes green......

I just :scoot: along letting him race down the road. Yes sir! The police were there and watching. :thanks:

I love it when something actually works out for a change.

larrball
07-19-2013, 03:52 PM
Just get yourself a vintage Topper scooter made by Harley-Davidson. (They won't be able to say anything! :hehe:)

Good one spandi,BTW how do you keep one running long enough to let your co-workes see ya riding it? :lmao:

I do get a little slack form some people and all i say is...
"Ahhh and your truck gets 87 MPG too, right?" and all of a sudden real life smacks them in the face.

Funny thing is none, not one of the guy's and gales that drive a bike give me a hard time.. not one, and most drive a HD.

wheelbender6
07-19-2013, 09:38 PM
Last week, in my weekend MSF motorcycle safety class, most students wanted to get a Harley, or already had one. I like Harleys and prefer to buy American, but I don't feel like wrestling a 550 lb bike in rush hour traffic. Maybe I'll end up with a Buell Blast. They are a bit faster than a Topper or Hummer.

spandi
07-20-2013, 12:11 AM
Good one spandi,BTW how do you keep one running long enough to let your co-workes see ya riding it? :lmao:

I do get a little slack form some people and all i say is...
"Ahhh and your truck gets 87 MPG too, right?" and all of a sudden real life smacks them in the face.

Funny thing is none, not one of the guy's and gales that drive a bike give me a hard time.. not one, and most drive a HD.Thanks! (glad you got a kick out of it.)

wheelbender6
07-20-2013, 09:27 PM
They sell Hummer golf carts and quads, so a Hummer scooter could work.

thumper650
07-21-2013, 12:37 PM
Street bikers are the second-worst, often pushing me off the road, and blasting me with exhaust, and of course loudly calling me a homosexual.

Young kids in "tuner" cars (ie any POS Honda) are terrible, pushing me off the road, throwing sodas, shouting insults ect.

Woah, there's a lot of A-holes around there! People here generally mind their own business. Last year I was driving to work on a warm night around 11:30pm. A car loaded with people pulled up next to me with the windows down. I cringed a little when the passenger yelled "Hey!"
I said "Sup?" and then he offered me a beer!
I graciously delcined since I was on the way to work, but I love run-ins like that.

Usually there's so much traffic here, nobody can do much to you as you zip down the bike lane.

Swordsman
07-30-2013, 12:46 PM
I had that happen to me the other night. I ride a Kymco Xciting 500 and some young punks pulled up next to me at a light. Started disparaging the ride and being dicks (trying to impress the young ladies in back for sure).

The light goes green.

BYE!!!!

Next light there is a >: kid in the car. Now what I didn't tell them and hoped they did know was the police like to hang out up the road a bit. I turn the throttle, he reeves the engine.

I just :scoot: along letting him race down the road. Yes sir! The police were there and watching. :thanks:

God I love stories like that! >D

~SM

GriefOne
08-23-2013, 04:57 PM
I have been noticing giggling ladies taking cell phone pics lately, but it only seems to happen when I ride naked.....:doh:

Irish
07-05-2015, 12:53 PM

The light goes green.

BYE!!!!

The police in Tampa probably know the cycling laws! Here in W.Melbourne , I asked a policeman about laws pertaining to helmets , eye protection , exhaust noise ,etc. The answer to all questions was-I don't know. I'll have to check at the station. I was only asking because I'm not from Florida & wanted to check. For anyone interested-I found a site on the web that has Florida Bike Laws.:yay::scoot: Irish

novaraptor
07-06-2015, 10:54 AM
Most of the Harley/biker gang stereotype was created by Hollywood in the 1950's and '60s. It did pull in some lowlifes that totally glamorized that kind of thing, but what it mostly did was fix a picture of what a "real biker" was into the public mind. On the good side, the image meant that cagers didn't mess with "bikers" much. On the bad side, it meant that riders had to act bad ass all the time. At least it kept PETA supporters from throwing paint on their leathers, and kept the cagers always aware of where they were on the road. Since the early '80, things have changed a lot. Most of the new harley and big bike riders now are professional working class. Also, lots more bikes on the road, so the "bad boy biker" is getting thinned out. Some people will be rude, mean, and bad no matter what. Most people are okay, and most riders are happy to see other riders.. Ride and enjoy...

Irish
07-24-2015, 01:04 PM
I'm new to the world of scooters and I find myself curious and looking to brace for the worst. After all, people are shallow, materialistic, and aggressively conformist.

That said, do you guys get the sort of flak that's stereotypically directed at scooter owners? I know the harley crowd and that sort of clique will never be sweet and kind to outsiders or what they perceive as "imitators," but I mean in general. Has your choice of a scooter over hottest new mustang or whatnot ever aversely affected you? Conversely, has it ever been a boon? I'd love to hear your stories. Thanks.

I assume that I could be called a member of the "Harley crowd". I ride a 2006 Sportster 1200 w/Trike kit. You're grouping people together by what they ride! I consider myself a member of the "Cycling crowd" I saw something on this site that would answer this particular question-
It's not what you ride
but that you ride
It's not how fast you go
It's about enjoying the ride
It's not when you started riding
but continuing to ride each day! :clap: :tup: Irish

kz1000st
07-24-2015, 01:41 PM
You won't get flak from a motorcyclist. I group myself in the biker category even while I experiment with scooters and I can tell you this. Bikers understand the thrill, danger and rewards of two wheels no matter what you ride. Go to any bike event and you'll see all the brands represented with no brand squabbling and there scooters are just another bike.