PDA

View Full Version : Finding Scooter Dealers in San Diego or Online w/Finance

Zouflain
06-10-2013, 12:58 PM
[You can skip to the bold if it's TLDR. Thanks, and sorry for length]

After all the research I've done, I'd hate to use an online dealer but it looks like I don't have much of a choice. I live in San Diego with a completely inflexible budget, and of the local dealers I've come across on Yelp/Google/ect only one carries a model I'm interested in and it blows my budget out of the water by a factor of 3x - namely the burgman 650. For the record, I dont want to go for more than $3.5k, and that's pushing it.

As a bit of background, I'm a first time scooter owner (heck, it's my first vehicle that doesn't have pedals!) with a dire need to get my hands dirty and familiar with a basic engine. I also need a scooter that can perform on the highway, reliably carry a passenger, and gets fantastic gas milleage. Research tells me I'd need at least a 250cc engine, and that the cost is going to press on my budget's upper limit.

That said, I'm interested in a GY6 and I'm aware that maintenence for such a machine will fall on my shoulders - that's a bonus, it means I'll have a learning opportunity. The parts are also widely available, and incredibly cheap. It's also a simple machine, which means that maintenece isn't rocket science.

After doing my research (hours of different PDI vidoes, oil changes, valve adjustments + bike comparisons, drop shipper vs B&M, individual reviews, Japan/Korea vs China pro/cons, ect) I've set my eyes on a BMS TBX 260-EFI but would settle on a Linhai Aeolus. I'm aware it's a clone of a Burgman, but I cannot possibly afford one and the stigma against Chinese bikes, after scratching deeper than the surface, seems to often result from poor PDI. It's a risk I'm willing to undertake.

So here's my problem: I can't find a local dealer that offers what I'm looking for (BMS TBX 260-EFI if you skipped the wall of text), and I'm seeking to finance the scooter through an auto loan through my credit union to help diversify my credit. Is anyone aware of a dealer in San Diego, or if not, an online dealer that does finance, carries the bike, and also isn't as awful as 95% of the drop shippers that flag as F- on BBB?

Thank you so much for any help. Scootdawg has been one of the best resources for research I've come across. Y'all rock!

qwertydude
06-10-2013, 10:57 PM
If you're financing through your own credit union then it's simply a matter of finding the bike you want. You give the bank the OTD price, they cut you a check and you pay the bank in installments.

The dealer has nothing to do with bank loans.

Zouflain
06-10-2013, 11:25 PM
Thank you for the information. I believe the Credit Union wants the VIN for the scooter in question (problematic where drop shippers are involved) in addition to information on the dealer themselves. I inquired when last I was there, but I didn't delve deeply into details, so I didn't mention it was a drop shipper (or likely to be). I suspect they want it to protect their investment from potentially bad debtors - cant repossess a vehicle you cant ID... but I have no idea how it actually works.

Edit: But I could be totally wrong. Would anyone feel like sharing their experience? I would really appreciate it.

Guest_3
06-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Its very simple.

1. You find the scooter you want from who ever.

2. Make the deal over the phone or in person and get the Vin number

3. Go to bank, also give dealers phone number to bank.

4. Send check to dealer.[ some banks will do this for you ] He ships scooter to ya.

5. DONE DEAL !!. :cheers:

inuyasha
06-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Hi
welcome aboard
Pleased to meet you
County imports offers financing
http://www.countyimports.com/financing#.UbeJHOfrwSk
http://www.countyimports.com/250cc_scooters___mopeds?b=1#.UbeImOfrwSk
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank