PDA

View Full Version : Bent swing arm breaking exhaust?

sbz0kgx
06-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Hi all, I have a Argo 150-2 scooter that keeps breaking exhaust mounts. I have replaced the exhaust twice now and just noticing the swing arm wiggles back and fourth as well as the tire seems off balance. The rim does not appear to be bent at all so I am thinking this could possibly be a bent swing arm or maybe an axle? I would really appreciate anyone's input on this matter

techie610
06-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Could be that stupid little hinge that allows the mid-section to flex, above the swing arm.
Bolt that thing solid. Might fix it, as well as give you a more dependable ride. :)

erictheviking666
06-03-2013, 08:23 PM
I have that problem with mine straight out of the box. Had the exhaust bracket welded at first, but it broke again right next to the weld. Had a whole new exhaust shipped under warranty and it broke as well. Still broke today and I've been unable to determine what keeps causing it. I'm like you the wheel doesn't appear to be bent, and I can't find anything else that could be causing it.

DW
06-04-2013, 01:16 AM
One fix is to design a muffler mount that bolts directly to the engine casing. Just too much flex in the swing arm.
Some use the spring tension coupling exhaust with good results.

erictheviking666
06-04-2013, 02:00 AM
I had been thinking of making some kind of new mount. I guess I'll have to figure out something.

sbz0kgx
06-04-2013, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone ill try and tighten the bolts you peak of techie610 or figure another mounting method. If I find anything out I will let everyone know thanks again!

jct842
06-04-2013, 11:16 AM
One thought, I have not had the broken pipe problem,.... but I am using a briggs and straton muffler. When I got my 150 I took it for a less than 2 mile test ride then took a hack saw and cut off the muffler. I welded a 3/4" pipe coupler to the end of the exhaust pipe and a bracket to it mounting to rear of engine. Briggs muffler screws in to it. Light weight compared to stock, louder and pretty much free flowing. You do have to use a different air filter and rejet though. And it runs much better with it. I have a lathe and bored into the 3/4" fitting about a 1/4 inch so the exhaust pipe actually fits into it so the weld would have a bit more surface to adhere to.

The more weight hanging out there the better chance it will break off. Briggs and straton has been making motors a lot longer than the japs and chinese put together and it works for them mounted right on the engine with no pipe. john

sbz0kgx
06-05-2013, 06:56 AM
Any certain type of Briggs muffler? Go kart, mower? Free flowing and lighter sound good to me :thanks: