PDA

View Full Version : Stator+Battery charging question.

smoak
05-27-2013, 08:34 PM
So I installed a new VR on my mc54 250 b and it has raised some questions for me I would like some input on.

OK, first, with my old VR, if I unhooked the battery cable while the bike eas running the engine would sputter and nearly die.. Was a very rough low sputtering idle. With the new VR there is virtually no difference in idle if I unhook the battery cable. Is this a decent indicator that -YES- my old VR was going bad?

Next question. I have been doing a heck of a lot of quick starts and idling to test out wiring, etc. as I had this bike apart... and that ran my battery down quite a bit. I can't get my bike on it's center stand by myself, so I can only check voltage output to the battery to about 3000 rpm sitting in the garage before the bike wants to take off... Does the bike need higher RPM's to put a charge to the battery, because it does not seem to be charging at idle RPM's.

And last question... If I wanted to but a little volt gauge in the dash, what would be the best hot wire to come off of for a good reading?

Thanks!

Smoak

richardthescooter1
05-28-2013, 11:03 AM
When the vr goes bad your battery won't hold good charge, and it won't charge as scoots running. I would hook up a battery tender when scoot isn't running, I too have the mc-54-250b scoot and the battery isn't designed to use a lot of start, mine will crank down too if I have trouble starting engine etc... Last question I'm not sure about.

The vr has nothing to do with the idle, that is another issue of itself. When was the last valve adjustment? Have you check all the vacuum line and intake manifold clamps to make there is nothing leaking? Have you check the spark plug to see if your getting a strong blue spark?

smoak
05-28-2013, 03:23 PM
I replaced hoses and hose "T's" and snugged up all carb connections after I had everything apart, so that could have something to do with it running better with or w/o the battery cable off. I was just thinking about an old Honda CB750-Four i had that the VR went out on, and the bike would run as long as the battery was connected, but would quit if I unhooked the battery.

My main concern is that I might go for a decent long ride and the battery gets drained so I wont be able to crank it after I shut it off.

Yep, spark plug is getting a strong spark.

thanks for the input.

Smoak

richardthescooter1
05-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Smoak, I always take jumper cables with me, just in case. but if your scooter running good and charging right, I won't worry about that, It only takes one crank and my scoot starts right up, but it took some time to adjust my air/fuel ratio screw to get it there.