PDA

View Full Version : My 1p39qmb Quest for... More... POWER!!!

lykos23
05-23-2013, 10:45 AM
Okay, so for some reason this thread was deleted with all my updates on this forum, so I'm reposting it because I have updates and have made progress on my scooter since then and I hope that this thread will some day help someone else get more performance out of their scooter because it should contain a wealth of information by now.

EDIT: Re-titled this post, Blah, blah, blah, scroll down for updates

Hello all.

I'm the one posting about my new Bashan Peace Sports 50 2009 scooter (49.9cc), the first scooter I've ever owned that's street legal.

Currently my top speed is 20mph and there is no full throttle. It takes possibly a solid minute before I can reach 20mph on a flat road too. I'm using a busted up throttle case assembly right now, but I'm positive that's not the issue.

It appears to have a sort of sweet spot at around 75% throttle, but anything higher than that puts it back in idle. What's going on here? As far as I know the carb has never been cleaned and despite having 1.4k miles on it it still had the stock sparkplug and oil (the previous owner must've hated this poor thing). I've since replaced the sparkplug and oil and there's no more dying at stops or bogging during idle, but I still have this issue with the throttle. Is it just normal to not be able to go over a certain throttle percentage? I can't join traffic going 15mph for a minute before I reach the speed of the other cars.

I currently weigh 240lbs, but carrying a 20lbs bag of salt didn't seem to effect performance.

So... I'm sorry for my poor description skills, but what should be done, in your opinion? Is it the carb? The fuel? The idle? The air/fuel ratio? The fuel line? or something I'm unaware of? If at all possible I'm willing to have a go at any possible way to draw more performance out of this thing with some direction. This is my primary and only vehicle, I need it to be able to go just 35mph, not 25 downhill. Is this even possible to achieve? Because right now every car is passing me in the neighborhood on my way to the local grocery store. Main roads are just an impossibility.

Should I sell my precious first scooter and try to get a 150cc or is it possible to draw enough power out of it to go to my optimistic goal of 35mph?

UPDATE 1/19/13
Still working on hitting 35mph, I can go up to 31mph right now, just looking for that last limitation. I got my feeler gauges in the mail today, so I'll be doing a valve adjustment soon.

UPDATE 1/20/13
Finished the valve adjustment, hearing no clicking. Haven't been able to ride for almost a week because of my hurt ankle, but I'm still working on it. Ordered a new battery and now I'm trying to figure out my throttle problem.

UPDATE 1/23/13
Tightened my throttle and it seemed more responsive for the few minutes the scooter would run. Found my old work boots and they have been helping support my ankle, I'm feeling good enough to go for a ride in the chilly weather. I'll be updating again once I get my new battery!

UPDATE 1/24/13
Got the battery yesterday, tried charging it but the light instantly went green so it came fully charged as advertised. Loosened the throttle a bit. Been trying to start the scooter for two days now! Boy, do I regret ever letting it with an empty tank of gas. Heet seems to have made the scooter able to start for a minute at most, but it won't stay running no matter what I do. I'm thinking the cold weather has something to do with it. Or maybe everything to do with it, I'm not sure.

UPDATE 2/3/13
Took off my carb and drilled/chiseled out the plug that was blocking my a/f. Put a #90 jet in there and my throttle dilemma seems solved. Have yet to ride due to bad weather though. I will continue to update this thread as I was updating through the other forum for a while and now some of my progress is lost in history.

UPDATE 2/15/13
Finally got to riding today! After weeks of bad weather. My throttle is great and responsive, I can go full throttle no problem, and I have finally reached my goal of 35mph (up a small hill no less!), I know I can go faster, but I have yet to find a road I'm willing to try to on, haha.

UPDATE 5/23/13
My original thread got deleted so I'm re-posting it from the old scootdawg forum.
I've done a lot since the last update. I've played around with slider weights, restricting my freeflow filter, breaking and then fixing my kickstarter, etc.
I've found a polish village in which to test my speeds on. There's an awesome hill that goes on for about an eighth of a mile which allows me to test my speeds uphill and downhill, while my flat terrain speeds have reached 40mph+ allowing me to join traffic and fully test my limits on the main roads. At 267lbs, the following checklist has allowed my top speed to reach 40mph on a mere 63cc scooter. I now go 50mph downhill, 35mph uphill, and 40mph+ on flat terrain.

UPDATE: 6-7-13
So yesterday I installed my 50mm BBK from Techdirect on amazon. The power is incredible. Takeoff is great. Acceleration is crazy awesome. And the sound of my performance exhaust makes it seem like a big motorcycle, haha. I have yet to break in the head so I have yet to reach WOT yet, but I will be updating with the speeds I can hit.

Things to do:

New Spark Plug - NGK CR7HSA ✔
New-er Iridium Sparkplug - NGK CR7HIX ✔
Change oil-10w-30 ✔
Change Oil At 1000 miles (Castrol GTX 10w40) ✔
Change gear oil 80w-90 ✔
remove cockroach ✔
Install Throttle Case Assembly (the thingy that controls the throttle on the handlebar) ✔
Install New CVT Belt - 669 18 30 ✔
de-restrict (if possible) (no restrictions found) ✔
Install new battery (YTX5L-BS) ✔
P! ✔
Adjust Valves .004 in/out ✔
Adjust Idle ✔
Clean Carb ✔
Adjust A/F ✔
Remove airbox and replace with freeflow filter ✔
Re-Jet main jet - 85 Main Jet ✔
Re-Jet Idle - 38 Pilot Jet ✔
Get new kickstarter ✔
Get new turn signal bulbs (R10W12V-E13-282) ✔
Get High Performance Ignition Coil ✔
Get New Performance CDI - (AC) ✔
Get New CVT Sliders - three 9g and three 4g for a total of 6.5grams to match the stock roller weight of 6.5g ✔
Change Clutch Springs - 2000rpm ✔
Get new V-Slides (139qmb NOT Gy6 150) ✔
Install Big Bore Kit - 81cc ✔Get Performance Exhaust - ✔

Speed Results based on variator weights:
63cc:
(Weight of rider: 267lbs)
4g:
35mph uphill, 33mph GPS

40mph flat terrain, 36mph GPS

45mph downhill, 39mph GPS

Three 4g and three 9g:

32mph uphill, 28mph GPS

40mph flat terrain, 37mph GPS

50mph downhill, 43mph GPS

Six 9g:

30mph up hill, 25mph GPS

40mph flat terrain, 38mph GPS

47mph downhill, 40mph GPS

Three 4g sliders and Three 6.5g rollers:

33mph uphill,

~40mph flat terrain, 37mph GPS

48mph downhill,

http://i46.tinypic.com/vx2p6o.jpg

lykos23
05-23-2013, 10:46 AM
The Things I've Learned:

Restrictions: There were no restrictions on my bike, but I hear about a lot of them being all over the place. First there's something in the carb that restricts fuel deliver, there are restrictions in the airbox that reduce the air you take in reducing speed, then there's a washer in the variator preventing the belt from riding high, then there can be restrictions in the exhaust such as a washer welded on to prevent you from reaching your top speed. Remember to try to stay within the confines of the law when thinking about your speed. Illinois requires a class L license for anything that goes over 30mph.

Valves: Valve Adjustment is crucial! When you get your scooter initially the valves are extremely tight more than likely and this causes plenty of problems, making your scooter hard to start and reducing performance while making it unable to maintain idle, and dying, etc.! Adjust your valves to .003 in, .004 out if you have a scooter like mine.

Oil: Oil is as important as it is in a car, you can't have too little, and too much is bad too. When you first get your bike you need to use that dinosaur based oil and after 2k miles or so it's allowable to use synthetic oil.

Gear Oil: Gear Oil is important too! Without it you risk seizing your engine or something I guess. High quality gear oil will also increase your performance a bit over the stock junk that comes inside your scooter from China.

Idle Adjustment: You want to have your idle high enough that your headlights don't dim and low enough that your back tire doesn't spin. It's a difficult balancing act for a newb, and your A/F adjustment will mess with your idle too if it's off by too much.

A/F Adjustment: Your air fuel ratio is apparently crucial to the engine. Too much fuel won't do much damage unless you're off by quite a bit, but too much air makes your engine run too hot risking all sorts of damage. If you have a freeflow filter you will not be able to adjust the A/F properly if you have a stock idle jet, you will need to restrict your air intake enough that you're not getting too much air. An idle jet of 38 should fix this.

Air Filter: Your air filter is an airbox when your scooter comes stock. This airbox is designed entirely to restrict air in a very specific way so as not to deliver too much air to the scooter. It is there to prevent damage, but it can also reduce performance in some cases, such as after installing a big bore kit. My airbox was damaged which caused me to have to replace it with a freeflow filter which was cheaper than replacing the stock box. The freeflow filter gave me nothing but trouble until my problems were identified at the cycle mechanic. My filter had to be taped in order to resemble the restrictions on the airbox so as not to deliver too much air during idle. Until I got my 38 jet I had to run my scooter with a ghetto-taped filter just in order to run.

The Battery: You want a decent sized battery. A flatout replacement for your stock is NOT good enough! You need something with more amperage, learn from my mistake. I can't even have a stereo plugged in without the battery draining on the way to the store. This also has to do with your stator being able to supply enough voltage and your idle being high enough not to discharge the battery.

Clutch Springs: Clutch springs come in three non-uniform varieties from each brand. there are 1k, 1.5k, and 2k, plus others. Each number represents the additional RPMs that your clutch should engage at. I installed 2k springs in my clutch so that my takeoff acceleration would be much better, the only thing it restricts is how slow you can go. Too tight of springs may mean you can only go 10mph or higher. If you want to keep your low end speeds and you're satisfied with your takeoff then there isn't really a need to change them. I just really like my better takeoff.

Variator Weights: I've learned a lot from messing around with my variator weights, and I would highly reccomend you buy yourself a kit of sorts to test out the different combinations until you find your perfect match. These really depend on your location, the roads you take, your weight, and other variables such as how fast you want your topend to be versus how fast you want your acceleration. There are Rollers and Sliders, stock scooters normally come with rollers, and they come in a variety of weights. Sliders, especially Dr. Pulley sliders, advertise higher topend and faster acceleration in general, however you need to add an additional 1g to equal the same weight of rollers. You will need a gram scale in order to weigh the ones that come with your scoot. The ones that came in mine were 6.5g. I myself found the perfect balance at 6.5g in the form of sliders, which is the equivalent of 5.5g rollers. Your variator weights are crucial in finding your optimal performance.

CDI: I don't know much about the CDI, but I do know that stock ones often come with a restriction which causes your scooter to be unable to reach its highest rpms. A high performance cdi removes this restriction and offers a better rpm range for better acceleration and top speed.

Re-Jetting: Rejetting is difficult and time consuming and requires you to take apart your carburetor multiple times. First you have to buy a range of sizes of jets, then you have to do what is called a plug chop every time you install a new jet. This indicates whether you go higher or lower in jet number. My main jet is 85 due to the free flow filter, my idle jet is 38, again, due to the free flow filter. My stock should have been somewhere around 78 main and 35 idle. Rejetting to the perfect size is very much worth the trouble because you get better performance, gas mileage, and longevity out of your scooter. Having the wrong jet size can severely impact performance and longevity.

P! Sticker: Possibly more crucial than a gremlin bell, this sticker is from the Anime show FLCL and stands for "the pillows" an amazing Japanese rock band.

lykos23
05-23-2013, 11:20 AM
The following videos helped me dearly!

Carb installation/removal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEKk9PfZWJQ

Carb Dis-assembly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnzzUOcXqLY

Valve Adjustment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxzW9aYA_6U

Variator Removal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYCasW5pY24

Clutch nut Removal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEDdglsl9PM

techie610
05-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Great Thread. :)

Admin
05-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Great Thread. :)

+1 :tup:

venxxxxx
10-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Thanks for this thread. I got the same scoot.