PDA

View Full Version : free scooter

uncle niceguy
05-20-2013, 09:38 PM
My brother has offered to let me have a 150cc sheinke scott that he left with a friend when he moved from Chicago. He told me that it leaks oil and is falling apart, after asking a few question I found out that he ordered it online and had a friend assemble it for him. He has never changed the oil(same fluids that it came with) He's had it about 3 years!! I'm pretty new to scooting myself, and can do some stuff to the bike, but anything that would involve really opening up the motor I would have to take to a shop.
In your opinion would it be worth the 10 hour drive to get it?
He says that it is running right now, but I don't think I'd want to make the trip if it has to be junked. BTW I gave hime a good lecture about maintainig his bike when he went on a rant about what a piece of crap china bikes are!

qwertydude
05-20-2013, 11:11 PM
If you have to split the cases and you don't have the experience, trust me just spend the $300 and get a brand new engine. It only takes a couple people less than an hour to install and is a known good engine instead of trying to replace seals only to realize you need new rings, or a new cylinder, or a new oil pump, or new stator etc., etc. Heck if you don't trust yourself turning the few bolts and nuts to install the engine, any competent scooter or even motorcycle place should be able to install a whole engine for only an hour's charge. If they try to charge you more they're ripping you off.

50cc
05-22-2013, 02:17 AM
qwdude speaks the truth, listen to him. leaking oil could be anything from seals to loose cylinder bolts or a constantly overheated engine with a tiny heat crack somewhere.. believe me, get a new engine or better - a new bike. went through all these steps myself and realized i invested money (and time!!) enough to get a brand new scoot when i dealt with my second hand Chinese crap.

smoak
05-24-2013, 12:30 PM
Something to consider. It is a 150cc.. anywhere you go in the US will require you to tag and insure that as a motorcycle. Make sure you can get a title for it and have it in your name, or you will have a scoot leaking oil in your garage you can never take out on the road.

Smoak