PDA

View Full Version : cloudy oil?

uncle niceguy
05-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Let me start by saying that I don't know much about mechanics so please forgive my ignorance.
I just had a 50mm bbk with head installed(at the local scoot shop), and it has about 250 miles on it. I've just changed the oil for the third time and the oil seems cloudy...I'm not sure if this is normal or if there was something wrong with the install. It seems to be running great the differance is night and day after the upgrade. It's a jonway yyq50-6 with a #95 main jet and #34 idle jet...it does bog down for a split second when I wot, but #88 jet seemed to be running lean, and I've read that that will mess up the valves. Everything else is stock. Any thoughts would be greatly appreiciated. btw i tried installing a # 38 idle jet but it flooded the carb. Thanks again, I'm new to scooting and love it, and love to tinker but i need all the help i can get.

qwertydude
05-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Run the stock 34 pilot. Not even 150cc engines run 38 pilots.

As for jetting. Why 95 mains? Have you swapped out to a free flow exhaust?

If all you've done is remove the snorkel and 4 hole restrictor you should at most be running 92 mains and usually 88 works fine.

A proper plug chop is the only way to determine how rich or lean you are absolutely. Read how to do that before just swapping and going by "feel" (more like guessing).

smoak
05-24-2013, 12:38 PM
I am assuming from the size of the motor that it is air cooled... If you have "cloudy" oil in an air-cooled engine, something is wrong. Does the oil smell like gas?

If not, I would take it back to the shop that did the work....

Smoak

lykos23
05-24-2013, 12:43 PM
I agree with your replies so far, a 95 jet seems way too big for even a 100cc. However, as far as the idle jet goes, that is boggling to me. I have a 63cc scooter and a 38 jet runs fine with my free flow filter.

I have no idea why your oil would be cloudy though, I would definitely at least call up the shop that did the work.

blueboy5000
06-12-2013, 02:59 PM
I would check the petcock. If it has malfunctioned, it could be stuck open, allowing fuel to mix w your oil.