PDA

View Full Version : Scooter security while shopping...

keltex78
05-17-2013, 01:14 PM
Just curious how most people handle this issue:

My incoming Roketa MC-54b comes equipped with a factory alarm system, which is apparently pretty unreliable and would probably serve me best if it's totally disconnected. I know the 250cc bike is heavier than many so it would be difficult for a single thief to quickly load into the back of truck, but I assume security will still be an issue...

When you make a quick stop at the store to pick up a few items, what is the general recommendation for parking/securing a 250cc scooter? I've seen wheel locks, chains, and other security devices, but these would be very inconvenient for a quick run in to Wal-Mart... but much less inconvenient than coming out and finding that your scooter is missing.

How do you handle this? Just park in a visible spot where the scoot will be visible to store security cameras? I know some people park bikes on the sidewalk near the entrance, but is this even legal/permitted?

Guest_3
05-17-2013, 02:02 PM
When you make a quick stop at the store to pick up a few itemsI lock the steering and set the alarm. :)

As for the factory alarm, mine has never failed me since 2008.

keltex78
05-17-2013, 02:06 PM
I lock the steering and set the alarm. :)

As for the factory alarm, mine has never failed me since 2008.

So is the factory alarm okay with the problem point being the remote start? I've read a lot of threads about these being problematic, but many do seem to be related to the remote start function; if the alarm is good, that's great! :tup:

Guest_3
05-17-2013, 02:25 PM
The remote start is a guessing game if its going to work or not, so I never used it.

spandi
05-17-2013, 11:25 PM
British made aftermarket alarm, wheel lock, and Onguard "Beast" 16 pound chain to a pole. Even for a quick stop, as they can steal a scoot in the blinking of an eye.

amac1680
05-18-2013, 06:17 AM
I just park it.
I'm lucky scooter theft is of little problem.

Be Big,
AMAC

spandi
05-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Just curious how most people handle this issue:

My incoming Roketa MC-54b comes equipped with a factory alarm system, which is apparently pretty unreliable and would probably serve me best if it's totally disconnected. I know the 250cc bike is heavier than many so it would be difficult for a single thief to quickly load into the back of truck, but I assume security will still be an issue...

When you make a quick stop at the store to pick up a few items, what is the general recommendation for parking/securing a 250cc scooter? I've seen wheel locks, chains, and other security devices, but these would be very inconvenient for a quick run in to Wal-Mart... but much less inconvenient than coming out and finding that your scooter is missing.

How do you handle this? Just park in a visible spot where the scoot will be visible to store security cameras? I know some people park bikes on the sidewalk near the entrance, but is this even legal/permitted?The thing of it is thieves can come as a team. (even for the heaviest bikes.) A metal bar slid under the front and rear tires and four guys lifting, and even a big Harley cruiser can disappear in a flash.

thumper650
05-26-2013, 03:21 PM
For me it depends on the neighborhood. Usually I do nothing, but sometimes I lock it to a post or something.

inuyasha
05-26-2013, 03:28 PM
Hi
I pulled up locked the steering and went in the store for less then ten minutes
That's how I lost my Puma and she was never recovered
Now I always use an armored cable lock and a disc lock with alarm
I also try to park in view of security cams or line of sight so others can view her
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

thumper650
05-26-2013, 11:40 PM
I remember when that happened Hank,
That totally sucked, April is even more sought after I'd think, so I'm glad to hear you lock her up. I definitely try to find high exposure places to park as well.
Part of the reason I have not pulled the trigger on a new Zuma is I'll be afraid it will get stolen.

techie610
05-27-2013, 03:37 PM
I typically use a Bully towing chain and a Masterlock.
Chain through the front AND back rims, then to a sigh/tree/post, ECT.
Plus, I use the alarm system that came with it. But I am upgrading it to a louder scream.
I think a nice 115dB chirp should get some attention.. :D

jct842
06-06-2013, 01:58 AM
I just park it too. About the only place to shop in the area is walmart so it goes right near the front door. I don't worry about the majesty at all, full coverage and is not primary transportation. Smaller scooters are more what the kids want especially 50's that do not get a plate and it doesn't matter what you do to prevent it, if the want it they take it and the chain, alarm and any thing else they want. I live on a dead end dirt road 2.2 miles of it and have a 132 lb dog who is as gentle as they come but the thieves don't know that. john

inuyasha
06-06-2013, 02:28 AM
I just park it too. About the only place to shop in the area is walmart so it goes right near the front door. I don't worry about the majesty at all, full coverage and is not primary transportation. Smaller scooters are more what the kids want especially 50's that do not get a plate and it doesn't matter what you do to prevent it, if the want it they take it and the chain, alarm and any thing else they want. I live on a dead end dirt road 2.2 miles of it and have a 132 lb dog who is as gentle as they come but the thieves don't know that. john
Hi
You got that right
http://www.scootdawg.net/showthread.php?t=53329
Take care and ride safely my friend
Yours Hank

techie610
06-06-2013, 11:34 AM
My Falcon is a larger framed 150, complete with tag and all, with full coverage, even against theft and damage.
I have just grown slightly fond of her.

If someone wants something bad enough, its almost impossible to stop them. At least make it as hard/time consuming as possible. :)

jct842
06-07-2013, 12:38 AM
A lot of people would not like it but I think if all of the states plated and required ins on the 50's theft would slow down. Because there are no legal papers and tittles normally when you sell one its easy to get rid of one freshly stolen.