PDA

View Full Version : Roketa MC-79 vs. MC-54b?

keltex78
05-13-2013, 12:44 PM
:hmm:
I'm just about to order, but would like to get some opinions and info on the differences between these two models.

I'm looking at a side-by-side comparison on both models directly on the Roketa Website:

http://www.roketa.com/product/2610/0/27312.shtml
http://www.roketa.com/product/2610/0/39674.shtml

As near as I can tell, the biggest differences are:

1. Different fairing/windshield/light design (=)
2. Alarm system on 54b (said to be a problem point) (-, 54b)
3. Nicer trunk on the 54b (+, 54b)
4. Nicer saddle design on the 54b (+, 54b if true)
5. Slightly more power on 79 (+, 79 if accurate)
6. Lighter weight 54b (+, 54b)
7. Backup kick start on 79 (+, 79 if true)
8. Better Aluminum muffler(no rusting) on 79 (+, 79)

Now, a couple of other points:
Looking at pics, I don't see a kick start on pics for either of these bikes. Does the power plant on the 250 CC scooters not have the kick-start function?

Again, from the pics, the 54b and 70 do not have the same CVT unit/shroud assembly. Do these two bikes share the same drive unit? If not, which is the more reliable/easy-to-service mode with readily available parts?

Overall, I prefer the styling of the MC-79 (nicer rims/shroud design, just personal preference), but want to make sure I get the best bike. Pricing on the units is about the same, about $50 more for the 54b. If all I'm getting different is the alarm, then it's not worth it. If the drive units are the same, the next most important features are the comfort (saddle/floorboard) and storage space available for cargo.

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, please chime in!
:hmm:

keltex78
05-13-2013, 01:41 PM
I've done some Google searching and found a bit of (conflicting) information. A comparison thread indicated that the 54b has the 257cc Yamaha/Linhai motor while the 79 has the 244cc Honda clone. Other postings indicate that this isn't necessarily going to be the case. What are the strong points of the two power plants and which is going to be easiest to service?

Onethread I found indicated that the 54b runs cooler due to the placement of the radiator. As this is NE Texas where it gets above 100 degrees in the summer, that may be a signifcant deciding factor.

Guest_3
05-13-2013, 02:11 PM
I'd go with the 54B. :tup:

spandi
05-13-2013, 02:24 PM
The MC 54B is over 3 mph faster than the 79. (I still can't figure why the 79 is roughly 45 pounds more) However in higher speed traffic the extra weight may not be such a bad thing.

Guest_3
05-13-2013, 02:28 PM
I still can't figure why the 79 is roughly 45 pounds more

I'm guessing its a misprint/typo.

smoak
05-13-2013, 02:46 PM
The saddle on the 79 looks like my reflex saddle I put on my 54B. The 79 saddle with lumbar support will be more comfy.
You might get a 54B, and you might get a 54.. It is a crap shoot. the B have a linhai clone motor, while the regular 54 will have a CFMOTO clone motor.
Linhai clone=Yamaha clone-horizontal cylinder- from 244cc to 257cc. (Mine is a horizontal 244cc, go figure)

CFMOTO clone= Honda clone-Vertical cylinder- 244cc.

You can disconnect the harness to the alarm and it wont hurt a thing, I did on mine.

Personally, I like the styling of the 54 more than the 79.

good luck choosing, and getting the new bike!

Smoak

keltex78
05-13-2013, 04:35 PM
LOL! I just downloaded and printed the 54b owners manual. Now I'm more confused than ever! :s

Reading and research is making me lean more toward the 54B. I generally like the looks of the front end of the 54b and the back end of the 79. I like the extended aluminum floorboards on the 54, and prefer the handlebar-mounted mirrors over the extended pylons on the 79. I still prefer the wheels on the 79, but they look okay on the 54 except for the red option. I'll probably be going with the blue with silver for my second choice. I want light-colored for high visibility on the road...

The 54 looks like it would have a large front storage compartment, but for some reason, no one ever posts pics of the storage compartments with anything for scale... That's one of the features I'm most curious about...

Front glove compartment storage
Underseat storage
Rear trunk storage

Can a standard-sized laptop generally be fit into the trunk on one of these?

spandi
05-13-2013, 05:18 PM
I'm guessing its a misprint/typo.

Could be. On a video I saw on youtube a Znen scoot (that was about $500 less than mine) and supposedly outweighed it by 40 or so pounds, had a single tube running to the forks, while mine has a four tube box frame running to the same spot. (what is wrong with this picture?)

smoak
05-13-2013, 05:44 PM
LOL! I just downloaded and printed the 54b owners manual. Now I'm more confused than ever! :s

Reading and research is making me lean more toward the 54B. I generally like the looks of the front end of the 54b and the back end of the 79. I like the extended aluminum floorboards on the 54, and prefer the handlebar-mounted mirrors over the extended pylons on the 79. I still prefer the wheels on the 79, but they look okay on the 54 except for the red option. I'll probably be going with the blue with silver for my second choice. I want light-colored for high visibility on the road...

The 54 looks like it would have a large front storage compartment, but for some reason, no one ever posts pics of the storage compartments with anything for scale... That's one of the features I'm most curious about...

Front glove compartment storage
Underseat storage
Rear trunk storage

Can a standard-sized laptop generally be fit into the trunk on one of these?

The front glove box on the MC45-250 B will hold about three packs of cigarettes stacked per side. That's it. I have trouble cramming my ball cap in there and getting the door shut.

If you get the MC%$ with the linhai motor in it you will be able to fit a half helmet under the seat, no more. the under seat is shallow with the linhai motor. you will be able to fit a laptop under there. A full size helmet or a laptop could fit in trunk storage, but the trunks are rattle traps, and I took mine off immediately after getting it home.

I am told the cfmoto clone engine MC54's have more storage space under the seat, but I do not know for certain.

Hope that helps.
I would take pictures for you, but ALL my body panels including the under seat bucket happen to be off my bike ATM.

Smoak.

Guest_3
05-13-2013, 09:19 PM
Rear trunk storage

Can a standard-sized laptop generally be fit into the trunk on one of these?Yes it can with no problems. I'll try to take a pic of mine tomorrow. :)

keltex78
05-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Well, I finally made the plunge and ordered my bike. After extensive reading and pondering, I chose the Roketa MC-54b. First choice of blue, with second being silver. I hope they ship the blue. This was after a thourough reading through all 14 pages of earlwb's Roketa experiences thread on the old ScootDawg site:

http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=200cc&thread=7135

His pics make the bike look a lot bigger than I would have thought. I'm 6' and ~180lbs, so I don't think this bike will have any trouble running me around. Just waiting for the slow boat to arrive with my giant crate o' bikey awesomeness. Free gloves FTW! :clap::D

Now to scheduling my state-mandated motorcycle safety class. There is only one local place offering the class, and since there's no competition, they charge the maximum state-allowed price. Class sizes are limited and book fast, so it will be June before I can get through that. Also, going to be looking for a local shop to select a helmet (full-face). Going to Academy tonight to pick up a pair of boots for riding; I have a gift card I received as a B-Day gift this spring to put toward those.

I've been reading the full PDI process and will need to purchase fresh fluids in advance. I'll need to start getting a stash of parts together for repairs. I've got a shop building with plenty of tools (inlcuding the Harbor Freight electric torque wrench) and know-how to start digging into it as soon as it's delivered. I think I want to make the switch over to the K&N filter EarlWB described in his thread.

I have a mechanic friend with a full shop; I'll check with him next time I see him to see if he has the setup to replace a motorcycle tire so I can swap valve stems which are said to be a problem on this bike. If I'm already breaking it down, I may just go ahead and replace the rear tire with a better quality one.
:shrug2:

spandi
05-15-2013, 02:13 PM
Looks like you're off to a fling start! (keep us posted)

keltex78
05-16-2013, 12:49 PM
I just registered for the basic rider safety course: Two 8-hour days, June 8-9. Not getting much rest that weekend. I'll have to wake up and get rolling a lot earlier than I'm used to, the class starts at 7:30 and I've got a bit of a drive to get to the location.

I picked up a pair of boots at Academy last night; I'll be shopping for a helmet next. I need to pick up a suitable long-sleeved shirt for the class. I'll probably just hit up Goodwill or a thrift store for a used denim shirt. I never wear long sleeves, even in winter. I'll need gloves too...

The course requires me to bring eye protection? Does a helmet visor count, can I wear sunglasses, or would I need ANSI safety glasses? :shrug2:

keltex78
05-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Well, I registered online for the Basic Motorcycle Rider Safety Course from the only local place offering the course. I registered for the class at the Longview location for the second weekend of June. I got my reservation confirmation, but they scheduled me for the Tyler location instead! I emailed back and they haven't responded, so I've tried calling, but the call just goes to an answering machine referring me back to the website. >:(

I hope they get this straightened out soon...

spandi
05-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Hang in there, it's worth the aggravation to learn what you have to, to keep yourself safe.

Guest_3
05-20-2013, 07:47 PM
After extensive reading and pondering, I chose the Roketa MC-54b.

Congrats on the new ride. :cheers:

keltex78
07-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Well, I ordered my scooter from Superior Powersports on 5/15, but they haven't been able to ship it yet. There was an issue with my payment (on their end) where my status had been "payment declined" even after they had received my payment. That was sorted out, but the order immediately went to a "Pre-order" status which keeps getting pushed back further. It was initially 6/20, 6/30, and has since been pushed back to 7/15.

Since I ordered the scooter, I've purchased all of my gear, taken the MSF BRC, and received my permanent motorcycle operator license. I've been very busy moving into a new home, so I haven't pressed the issue with Superior. I'm finally starting to get impatient, and am getting close to cancelling my order.

The 54b is the model I really want, but I'm considering the downgrade to the 79 since that appears to be in stock at both Superior and PowerSportsMax. I vastly prefer the style of the 54/Reflex body though. Another concern is that some reviews indicate that the 79 has poor radiator placement resulting in worse cooling. Can anyone comment on that to verify if that will be an issue? I live in NE Texas where summer temps can commonly be over 100 degrees.

My options:

Wait indefinitely for Superior to receive and ship my scooter.
Give Superior a chance to offer me an incentive to downgrade to the less-desired Type 79.
Cancel my order and purchase the Type 79 from Powersports Max or another competing retailer.
Purchase a used scoot locally via CL; I've found a couple of possibilities here, but I would really prefer new, and the local scoots have the CFMoto 244cc instead of the 257cc motor I would prefer. I also don't like the fact that a local purchase may not have been well-maintained...
Thoughts?

sanmar
07-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Personally, I would ask Superior for some incentive not to cancel my order. They need to be stepping up at this point. But, I would give them a chance to do so. Good luck!

keltex78
07-05-2013, 04:09 PM
Okay: I just got off of a 2 1/2 hour long chat session with Aaron at Superior. Most of that time was waiting while he was escalating my concern to his manager.

My inquiry was regarding the reason for the delay they are experiencing with receiving their shipment. Their response was to offer me a $20 discount for my inconvenience until I pointed out that they were offering a $50 off discount as an Indepence Day sale special. He was able to apply this $50 discount to my order so that worked out well...

He also provided some infomation that is interesting if true. He indicated that the delays were due to this being an import of a new model. I know many of the 54b style scooters were old-stock. This unit was listed as In-Stock when I ordered so I am speculating that the old-stock may have been depleted. He specifically stated that this is an all-new 2013 model.

"...since this is a new product we're waiting on shipment from the manufacturer and like all new products there is a lot of steps you have to go through to get it here. Shipping and customs is what we're waiting on."

"...the price of this unit is going up soon so a benefit of having an older order is you get to keep that price."

"It is a new 2013 model."

"...it may even have some newer features!"

Anyone have any insight into this and can confirm that 2013-models are being imported now?

jct842
07-05-2013, 04:49 PM
I don't think you will find any difference in model years. Any extra features would probably amount to something relating to stricter pollution laws. If you do your part and take care of it you will have many years of reliable riding. john

cookees
07-05-2013, 09:37 PM
An interesting side bit is Roketa. They will buy from virtually any factory and specialize in buying whole inventories. That being said, you can actually find some good deals from Roketa if you take the time to research the WMI and determine the actual factory that produced the scoot.

I'd go with the 79.....made by a much better company.

LFF = ZHEJIANG TAIZHOU WANGYE POWER CO.

prodigit
07-06-2013, 03:49 AM
Updates could be rejetting,
I would have chosen the 54 for looks and the radio only. The 79 has weird handlebars.

keltex78
07-06-2013, 09:10 AM
Updates could be rejetting,
I would have chosen the 54 for looks and the radio only. The 79 has weird handlebars.

They both have radios but the placement looks weird on the 79. I don't know about the handlebars, but I never liked the mirror stalks on the 79, I think the more traditional mirrors on the 54 look much better. I like the 54 fairing better but the LED lighting, silver trim, and trunk box look better on the 79. I like that the floorboards extend further on the 54 as well. The 54 has the alarm too; I don't care about the remote start feature but I like the alarm!

keltex78
07-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Update directly from Roketa:

Yesterday, I wrote out a quick email to Roketa directly, inquiring regarding the import status of the 2013 MC-54b:

"In mid-May, I ordered a Roketa MC-54b scooter from a dealer here in the US. It has been delayed repeatedly, and per a recent conversation, they are currently waiting on customs regarding the import of the new 2013 model year. Can you confirm that the 2013 MC54b has been EPA approved and is cleared for import into the US? If it will be several months, I will change my order to an alternate Roketa model that is currently in stock."

I received this response this morning:

"The 2013 MC-54-250cc has been EPA approved, and should arriving our warehouse less than 2 weeks. Tks!

Goldenvale/Roketa"

This sounds promising to me. I've located several other online dealers who are also verifying the arrival of the 2013 MC-54b to be in mid-July. Maybe my scooter will get shipped this month after all!

I'm not sure what model year was being shipped until this point (Can anyone verify?) but I'll be glad to have a newer-assembly which has spent less time decaying in a crate on a shelf. I'm hoping the new model will have better quality hoses than some of the old 2008 apparently had.

prodigit
07-09-2013, 06:24 AM
Well, if it's EPA approved, it can only mean that your bike will be running leaner, and has less power.
That's all EPA does. Exhaust restriction.
The good thing is, upjet, and have fun; or ride around as is. Really, the EPA has even caused Hondas to run lean, with their stupid regulations.

novaraptor
09-30-2013, 06:56 PM
Hey Keltex78, Just got back to the board after being gone awhile.. Just curious to know what's up with the scooter delivery. Hope silence means that you are out riding around and having a great time..

ShannonHarlan
08-23-2018, 05:33 AM
I just registered for the basic rider safety course: Two 8-hour days, June 8-9. Not getting much rest that weekend. I'll have to wake up and get rolling a lot earlier than I'm used to, the class starts at 7:30 and I've got a bit of a drive to get to the location.

I picked up a pair of boots at Academy last night; I'll be shopping for a helmet next. I need to pick up a suitable long-sleeved shirt for the class. I'll probably just hit up Goodwill or a thrift store for a used denim shirt. I never wear long sleeves, even in winter. I'll need gloves too...

The course requires me to bring eye protection? Does a helmet visor count, can I wear sunglasses, or would I need ANSI safety glasses? :shrug2:

Sorry for bumping up in this thread, since i'm in same situation like registered for the rider safety course..So safety they are considering as crucial importance..I have to wear safety helmet, shoes,etc..Which is the best place to buy all these stuff?????

-----------------
Thanks
ShannonHarlan

cheapeto
08-24-2018, 07:27 AM
The most choices would be any powersports shops close to your area. I bought my first 3/4 helmet from Pep Boys, along with a pair of gloves. My boots came from Super Shoes.
Then when I decided I really enjoyed 2 wheels, I found a local motorcycle gear shop, that had a sale going on. That is where I got my Gator Skins, riding jacket, goggles, and falling down pants from there also. I got my Frogg Toggs from one of the powersports outlets.
Just got to look around.