PDA

View Full Version : Fixing and flipping bikes?

smoak
05-13-2013, 11:07 AM
So I have been looking on Craigslist lately for good deals on parts bikes or otherwise, and I have seen lots of 2007 and up Chinese scooters for sale in the $200-$300 range that say "It won't start, don't know why."

I was thinking that as long as the bike seemed solid and the motor wasn't locked up it might be a good investment to grab up a cheap bike, fix it, and flip it.

Any thoughts on the subject? I see running scoots used on Craigslist for anywhere from $600 on up. Buy it for $200, fix whats broke (or clean the carb and set the valves most likely lol) and turn around and sell it for $500 or so and make a couple hundred bucks.

Sound plausible? I am already becoming known around my town as the guy with (no legs and) a really fast scoot, and I have been asked to work on other peoples bikes. (mostly right now the people who lost their MVL to DUI or whatever and are riding 49cc scoots lol) I already have a shop dedicated to working on my own bike, I can't imagine it would be a stretch to make some cash flipping bikes.

Thoughts?

Smoak

4getful2
05-13-2013, 11:34 AM
I don't see why not but, most of what i see in my area have been laid down and need some plastic or more......... or mysteriously can't find the title. Garage sales might be a better bet.

smoak
05-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Oh, I have seen several that were advertized as "lost the key, no title" which just screams out stolen to me.

I don't mind scratched up plastic.. Body filler and fresh paint can fix that no problem!

Firehawk989
05-14-2013, 01:44 AM
Thinking about flipping my little Hyosung. I paid $400 for it not running, (prices are ridiculously inflated here in this city) if I can get $800-$1000 for it, I'll flip it and get a BWS, then mod the BWS to my liking and be done with it.

trailheadmike
05-14-2013, 03:19 PM
I am looking to do that myself, so I think that's a great idea. Problem is that craigslist by me typically has 2008 non-working 150s for a thousand or more!!!!

smoak
05-14-2013, 03:43 PM
I am looking to do that myself, so I think that's a great idea. Problem is that craigslist by me typically has 2008 non-working 150s for a thousand or more!!!!

If you have an ipad or iphone, get the craigslist pro app. It allows you to set the parameters and areas of search, so you can get more specific results from a broader geographic area.

wheelbender6
05-14-2013, 07:49 PM
You must know your competition before investing in scooter flipping. In my area, a new Chinese 50cc scoot can be had for $700 +tt&l and a new 150cc for $1000 +tt&l. It is tough to compete with that.
I have known of some people doing well flipping quads.

smoak
05-14-2013, 11:14 PM
You must know your competition before investing in scooter flipping. In my area, a new Chinese 50cc scoot can be had for $700 +tt&l and a new 150cc for $1000 +tt&l. It is tough to compete with that.

Good point. If anyone around here wants to buy a new scoot from a B&M they have at least an hour and 20 minute drive in any direction.

Locally, competition shouldn't be a problem.

Irish
07-08-2015, 01:00 PM

I made REAL good money flipping older motorcycles when in N.H. Here I don't have the connections for parts or the reputation that I had there & I'm to old to establish a reputation here!:taunt: Irish
P.S. I used to combine the good "old" parts & build a completely newer bike! Also you would not believe what people will pay for used "good" electrical parts!:yay: