PDA

View Full Version : Another order! - RE: Variator Weights

lykos23
05-10-2013, 01:02 PM
This is an update from this post:
http://www.scootdawg.net/showthread.php?p=520440#post520440

So, most of my last order came through, most importantly my gram scale. So far I've installed the performance ignition coil and I'm still waiting on the clutch springs. I went to solder the wire to my right front light and noticed that the wire was completely fine and it was just the bulb that blew, haha - oh well, now I've got a new soldering iron!

When I weighed my variator weights they all weighed about 6.50-6.53 grams. Problem is there is no writing on them, and I can't figure out what measurement they are (I now find myself with no metric measuring tape, argh!). So, here are my questions:

Will any GY6 rollers on amazon fit? Or do I have to find some way to measure my current rollers?

Do I want sliders, or roller?

What's with people mixing up their weights? I see a lot of people installing different combinations of weights, should I be doing that?

I want a higher top speed, because currently my top flat terrain speed is about 40mph and I need 45mph to go to the bank. How much heavier of weights should I get? I weigh 250lbs, is 45mph even achievable on a 63cc? I know I can go 50mph downhill, and up to 35 uphill.

I got 2,000rpm clutch springs, will the theoretical faster acceleration from these compensate for the slower acceleration of heavier roller weights?

If I'm supposed to adjust my idle based on when the clutch engages, do I have to re-adjust my idle when I install 2,000 rpm springs?

If my setup isn't perfect will it be tolerable? I don't quite have the money to be out spending loads of money on variator weights or a variator weight tuning kit, so if I end up getting too heavy or too light of weights and too stiff of clutch springs, will my scooter still be rideable? I mostly need it to go 35mph, quickly, is there anything I should avoid that will hinder that?

I just got my high performance ignition coil, but I still don't know much about them. How much theoretical performance gain should I get from installing it? (It's all rainy outside so I haven't ridden to test it yet).

If you have any recommendations for products please go to Amazon.com or Newegg for links because I only have credit for these two sites and am currently strapped for cash.

In a few months I plan on buying these things:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PV9W60/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2VPA2J7YDDYST
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PV9VZW/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2VPA2J7YDDYST

But for right now I'm on a low budget to buy all the performance parts I can because I'm fed up with how cars honk and pass me on the street because I can't accelerate from a stoplight fast enough.

inuyasha
05-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Hi
All 139 qmb,s use 16 x13 roller weights so that the size you want
Sliders last longer and give a better acceleration curve and higher topend imho
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank

andrewrides1
05-10-2013, 01:30 PM
This is an update from this post:
http://www.scootdawg.net/showthread.php?p=520440#post520440

So, most of my last order came through, most importantly my gram scale. So far I've installed the performance ignition coil and I'm still waiting on the clutch springs. I went to solder the wire to my right front light and noticed that the wire was completely fine and it was just the bulb that blew, haha - oh well, now I've got a new soldering iron!

When I weighed my variator weights they all weighed about 6.50-6.53 grams. Problem is there is no writing on them, and I can't figure out what measurement they are (I now find myself with no metric measuring tape, argh!). So, here are my questions:

Will any GY6 rollers on amazon fit? Or do I have to find some way to measure my current rollers?

Do I want sliders, or roller?

What's with people mixing up their weights? I see a lot of people installing different combinations of weights, should I be doing that?

I want a higher top speed, because currently my top flat terrain speed is about 40mph and I need 45mph to go to the bank. How much heavier of weights should I get? I weigh 250lbs, is 45mph even achievable on a 63cc? I know I can go 50mph downhill, and up to 35 uphill.

I got 2,000rpm clutch springs, will the theoretical faster acceleration from these compensate for the slower acceleration of heavier roller weights?

If I'm supposed to adjust my idle based on when the clutch engages, do I have to re-adjust my idle when I install 2,000 rpm springs?

If my setup isn't perfect will it be tolerable? I don't quite have the money to be out spending loads of money on variator weights or a variator weight tuning kit, so if I end up getting too heavy or too light of weights and too stiff of clutch springs, will my scooter still be rideable? I mostly need it to go 35mph, quickly, is there anything I should avoid that will hinder that?

I just got my high performance ignition coil, but I still don't know much about them. How much theoretical performance gain should I get from installing it? (It's all rainy outside so I haven't ridden to test it yet).

If you have any recommendations for products please go to Amazon.com or Newegg for links because I only have credit for these two sites and am currently strapped for cash.

In a few months I plan on buying these things:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PV9W60/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2VPA2J7YDDYST
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PV9VZW/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2VPA2J7YDDYST

But for right now I'm on a low budget to buy all the performance parts I can because I'm fed up with how cars honk and pass me on the street because I can't accelerate from a stoplight fast enough.

your weights happen to be 6.5 gram weights if you want to go faster typically you go heavier. I would try 8 or 9 so you wont lose too much pick up. I would go with the sliders they perform better than the rollers and are worth the extra doe. people mix weights to acheive the perfect way they want their bike to perform. you dont have to readjust your idle for springs, the springs wont change your idle just when your clutch engages. you will notice more speed when you get your cdi. oh and i wouldnt buy a clutch they dont really do that much for speed if anything at all. the variator will help more with that. other then that you should be able to hit your speed mark when your done. 40 mph. you really want more speed get a bbk better carb, perf exhaust and big valve head. 50 mph. I personally gave up on 4 strokes for the moment because its not worth the money you dump in to it for little gain in performance. I have a 50cc 2t now. when im done with it it will probably smoke any 150 gy6 out there

lykos23
05-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Hi
All 139 qmb,s use 16 x13 roller weights so that the size you want
Sliders last longer and give a better acceleration cuve and higher topend imho
Yours Hank
Thank you so much Hank! I was really unsure and pretty confused over that.

your weights happen to be 6.5 gram weights if you want to go faster typically you go heavier. I would try 8 or 9 so you wont lose too much pick up. I would go with the sliders they perform better than the rollers and are worth the extra doe. people mix weights to acheive the perfect way they want their bike to perform. you dont have to readjust your idle for springs, the springs wont change your idle just when your clutch engages. you will notice more speed when you get your cdi. oh and i wouldnt buy a clutch they dont really do that much for speed if anything at all. the variator will help more with that. other then that you should be able to hit your speed mark when your done. 40 mph. you really want more speed get a bbk better carb, perf exhaust and big valve head. 50 mph
Thanks again for all your helpful advice, Andrew!

I'll be buying some 9g sliders, I'm completely unfamiliar with how all this stuff works so I'll wait to buy a tuning kit to mix and match.

I was really unsure about the idle thing because I tune my idle to when my tire starts moving, which I thought was when the clutch engages. But what you say makes sense.

I can't wait to get that CDI, unfortunately it shipped from China, so it will be another two weeks.

I will definitely skip getting a new clutch then. I've seen a lot of people install them in youtube videos, but I've never heard about what they do to perform better. If all clutches work on the same basic functionality then it would only make sense that my stock clutch should perform as good as a performance one... I'll take the money from that and invest in a good performance exhaust. Is this one good enough http://www.amazon.com/50cc-Scooter-Performance-Exhaust-Silver/dp/B00A2OJ5R8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_misc_1 ? Or are there better ones on Amazon?

Everyone keeps reccomending a big bore kit, so I guess I'll submit and buy one. Probably this one: http://www.amazon.com/Quad-Moped-Scooter-Engine-Bore/dp/B005HGPFHK/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1368207770&sr=1-2&keywords=big+bore+kit+gy6 unless I find a better one within a month or two.

Thanks again!

andrewrides1
05-10-2013, 01:55 PM
that pipe looks clean and i recomend you get it. but dont give in to peer preasure if you really dont need a bbk and are happy with 40 mph, when your done, thats cool. if you like modding and just love and want to make your bike better get it. lol.

inuyasha
05-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Hi
This should help
http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=4strokeissues&action=display&thread=21571
Yours Hank

lykos23
05-15-2013, 10:52 PM
Today I got my sliders and chinese CDI, surprisingly fast delivery on both ends. I ordered the Dr. Pulley 9g slider weights. I haven't noticed a higher topend yet, but that is due to slow takeoff. While the takeoff is slow, the acceleration is incredibly smooth - it's like I'm riding a different bike. I don't know any other word to describe it other than "smooth". I reach 35 faster, after a slow takeoff, but I'm hoping that will be solved with the clutch springs I ordered, as they already came in the mail.

Because I can't seem to get my clutch bell off without a special tool, I caved in and ordered it after multiple attempts at holding the clutch in place without it. It's in Louisville Kentucky right now. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039LEZFS/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is what I ordered, I'm hoping it does the job as advertised. I'm sure once I install my clutch springs, the faster acceleration at takeoff will finally make me able to reach closer to my top speed within the time it takes between stop signs or street lights. Once I get my BBK I'll probably get some 1500rpm springs so I'm not needlessly revving the engine just to go too fast. The fancy 2000rpm springs I got from Japan seem nice, can't wait to install them.

Hi
This should help
http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index...y&thread=21571 (http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=4strokeissues&action=display&thread=21571)
Yours Hank
Thanks, Hank that does indeed help quite a bit. The chart indicates that I should be able to go around 39-40mph, but with some optimism and a little work I'm hopin' I can get to 45 without the bbk. I'm still getting the bbk, but that's just a bonus upgrade for me.

that pipe looks clean and i recomend you get it. but dont give in to peer preasure if you really dont need a bbk and are happy with 40 mph, when your done, thats cool. if you like modding and just love and want to make your bike better get it. lol.
I love scootering, and I like working on the scooter, and given how much I have to ride it, I think it's in my best interest to get a bbk especially for the long run. If I can go fast enough to go on the main roads then I can even reach the DMV to get my motorcycle license!

lykos23
05-18-2013, 07:12 PM
Yesterday my clutch tool came in the mail! Now after a few hours of struggling with the clutch and clutch bell I've finally got some 2000rpm clutch springs in my scooter. I get way faster takeoff than before, it seems at least a 5mph gain. My idle is a lot higher now too, as my theory seemed right that the clutch springs would prevent my clutch from engaging and since the way I tune my idle is by gauging when the rear tire starts spinning I'm able to have a higher idle. With the higher idle I'm able to take the tape off of my filter without any noticeable issues, not sure why, but that also means that my lights are no longer dim at idle, and I have more responsive throttle with the new springs which, at first, took a second or two before the tire would spin.

Just for comparison's sake I decided to take out my dr. pulley weights and put in my old stock ones. Because when I got the dr. pulley slider weights I also got the new cdi in the mail (which meant there were too many variables when comparing my weights), and it does seem to have some improvement with the cdi, however, the slider weights have only made my acceleration incredibly slow. With my stock weights I can hit 45mph downhill with ease, with the dr. pulley slider weights my acceleration only allows me to hit 44mph before the road forces me to slow down. Additionally I can barely hit 25mph uphill while my stock weights allow me to go 29mph uphill. On average I cruise at 34mph with the dr. pulley sliders between stopsigns and stop lights, and I cruise at 35+ with my stock weights.

I believe it's because I weigh over 250lbs that I will have to purchase lighter weights in order to see an increase in top speed and acceleration. Since Dr. Pulley sliders offer higher top speed and faster acceleration by default I believe I should be able to combine 9g sliders with 4g sliders to attain an approximate 6.5 weight which will be closer to my stock weight which was able to hit 50mph a few times. :hmm:

It's too bad I can't order a weight tuning kit yet, it's getting faster for me every time I replace things in my cvt.

blueboy5000
06-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Just run 6g weights man. 6g is perfect for hilly conditions. If you live in flats, 7g will do you nicely. If you have 6.5g as your original weight, then you had 7g weights that became worn.

lykos23
06-12-2013, 07:14 PM
Just run 6g weights man. 6g is perfect for hilly conditions. If you live in flats, 7g will do you nicely. If you have 6.5g as your original weight, then you had 7g weights that became worn.
I've tested multiple weight setups now and thus far I enjoy my three 4g three 9g setup, which equals 5.5 in roller weights. It's great for the hills around here and great on flat terrain. Soon I'll be getting a lighter variator and I'll be switching to all 9g weights.

My 6.5g weights were spot on at 6.5g on a digital scale. They were barely worn out at only 2k miles.

These are my varying speeds with different weight setups:
4g:
35mph uphill, 33mph GPS

40mph flat terrain, 36mph GPS

45mph downhill, 39mph GPS

Three 4g and three 9g:

32mph uphill, 28mph GPS

40mph flat terrain, 37mph GPS

50mph downhill, 43mph GPS

Six 9g:

30mph up hill, 25mph GPS

40mph flat terrain, 38mph GPS