PDA

View Full Version : First-time rider looking for gear...

keltex78
05-10-2013, 11:39 AM
I'm sure this topic gets posted a lot. I'm preparing to purchase my first scooter, and have seen enough to know that Safety is a priority on bikes. I intend to WEAR MY SAFETY GEAR at all times when riding, and would like to get any advise possible.

1. The helmet! I know this is a vital piece of equipment for any rider. I'll be purchasing a full-face helmet with face shield and wearing it any time I'm on the road. I assume I'll have to find a local shop to learn my size, but once I have that, I plan on ordering one online. Once I have the helmet, I plan to apply reflective tape for visibility, in the unlikely event that I end up driving at night.

2. Gloves: Not a problem here. Gloves are affordable and easy to obtain.

3. Boots: I understand that these are important. I'm purchasing a pair of over-the-ankle work boots and these will make good footwear for biking as well.

4. A Jacket: I anticipate this to be my most difficult bit of gear to select. I'm in Northeast Texas; during the summer, it gets very warm, easily over 100 degrees. I've read from a lot of users who have posted that wearing a proper bike jacket is actually cooler in the summertime. I would like a basic mesh-style bike jacket with the needed armor to help save my skin in the event of a slide, but am on a budget. I've seen the motocross style armor kits, but I would need a vampire-killing sword to wear one of those in public... :ugh: Any recommendations on a good value in a breathable mesh jacket?

chindog
05-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Leatherup.com has an armored light colored 3 season jacket on sale now for $70.

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Motorcycle-Mesh-Jackets/Xelement-Mens-Silver-Igniter-Tri-Tex-Fabric-and-Mesh-Motorcycle-Jacket/53267.html

I was really tempted to get this one, but I already have a mesh jacket. The liner is very warm in cool weather, especially when I wear a fleece jacket under it. On warm days, without the liner, it does help with cooling.

smoak
05-10-2013, 12:55 PM
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/ generally has really good deals. I got my leather Shift armored riding jacket there. It is a $400 piece that I caught for less than $130 on sale. It comes with a winter zip out liner, and I have ridden comfortably in 95 degree weather in this jacket. Of course, as soon as we stopped for a bit, it had to come off!

As for helmets, all I can say is you get what you pay for. I have a full face Shoei from my musclebike days, and it is the only helmet I can ride in. You will want to try on several, and not just look for fit, but field of view. I can shoulder check the road behind me with my shoei on, I can't do that with a lot of helmets.

I am told HJC (sp?) helmets are on par with Shoei field of view, but I have never tried one. I just know your average Bell full face makes me feel like I am riding with blinders on...

good luck in your gear search and ride safe!

Smoak

techie610
05-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Helmet : http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/CTGY/fullfacemc
>> The AFX is probably the most comfortable I have worn.

Gloves : http://www.jpcycles.com/gloves?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=fingerless%20motorcycle%20glove&utm_campaign=clothing+and+eyewear
>> Great site, great prices. I have fingerless riding gloves from here.

Footwear : http://www.workbootsusa.com/
>> I LOVE this site. Everything you need/want. I ride in steel 6in toe Magnums

Jacket : Leatherup looks like a good site. I have never purchased from there. Plus, I don't ride with a jacket.. If anything, a light windbreaker/raincoat.
http://supercrossaction.com/Icon-Interceptor-Reflective-Mens-Mesh-OnRoad/M/B004SRXG6Q.htm
>> This is what I wear for long trips.

lykos23
05-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Hank likes to preach ATGATT - All The Gear All The Time, but if we break it down is it really worth the money?

Helmet - Who needs one? Your skull is hard enough to bounce off the surface of most roads at low speed. And technically the majority of accidents happen at low speeds anyways. Here's the trick; Always speed! It may be illegal, but your statistical safety is more important than ticket fines, you can spend the money you saved not buying a helmet!

Jacket - When are you going to fall on your back in a crash? Like probably never! People look cooler in T-shirts, but what good are your arms anyway? They can stand a little road rash, get a sleeveless vest! Make sure to keep it open at all times so your soft underbelly can stop yourself from skidding in the road in a probable crash. But, hey, if you're really that worried, tuck and roll!

Gloves - Chances are you'll only ruin one of your hands in a fall. And is road rash really that bad? Sure, they're only $15-25 for a reliable cheap pair of gloves, but in reality you only break one hand to stop yourself from a fall, and you only need one hand to wipe your arse. Skip the gloves!

Pants - One word, and one word only... "Pants!" And some more words; pants are unarguably important. But there are things you have to weigh in consideration of pants, or as the Japanese call them, Pantsu. Safety is no longer an issue with all the money you just saved not buying gear, so you have two things to weigh; style and comfort! For this I recommend a flashy pair of sweatpants, or even shorts for better scarring. Trust me, you can afford the hospital bills, and everyone will be in complete awe and confusion over whether your legs are covered in scar tissue or an indecipherable tattoo!

Shoes - My grandpa has a saying... "Your shoes are where you keep your feet" and this saying has never been more true. Sure we've all heard stories from just about everyone about how a good pair of riding or steel toe boots saved their foot, leg, or life. And sure a good pair of boots can even prevent a fall given proper timing and support. But what's more important? Your ugly feet, or how you look? Buy some cheap chinese sneakers - those child laborers work hard on making them look fancy, especially the competitive off brands. The money you save can go towards infesting in a high quality peg-leg and pirate hat for when you inescapably wipeout.

Bucket Pancho - A lot of people like to keep a pancho, umbrella, or garbage bag in their trunk just in case it starts raining on them when they're out and about. But, what are you? A conformist? A little rain is tolerable, isn't it? Hell, you can skip a shower when you get home if it really starts pouring. It's better to have no protection at all!

Everything in my post is :bs:

Ride safely.

techie610
05-10-2013, 01:55 PM
lykos, that's a pretty funny post. :lmao:
Always need a good laugh from time to time :cheers:

scootnwinn
05-10-2013, 03:07 PM
Uhm, I just wanted to chime in and say a little about your plan to use the local bike shop as a demo store and then go and order the stuff online. I think that is definitely unethical and in some sense actual theft. You are going to go to a small business owner who is doing his part to help your community and use the time effort and money he has spent to provide a nice clean place with a knowledgeable staff for you to find what you need. But then, instead of paying for his services by paying the small mark-up he has on his gear you are going to take your business to his competitor and help to insure the next time you have to try something on he won't be there????????? Aren't you shooting yourself in the foot?? Is saving $10-20 really that important to you? One round of return shipping will eliminate any savings. If you are going to buy online leave the local guy out of it completely. Don't go in there and get his poor commissioned staff's hopes up and then walk out the door. At least then they won't feel used. I hope it works out for you but if using the motorcycling community for your own personal gain to their detriment is how you do things in general keep driving the cage.

Forgive me I feel strongly about this, I have a lot of friends in the business... Its good to have a friend in the business and trust me those folks in online stores are not your friends.

chindog
05-10-2013, 06:29 PM
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/ generally has really good deals. I got my leather Shift armored riding jacket there. It is a $400 piece that I caught for less than $130 on sale. It comes with a winter zip out liner, and I have ridden comfortably in 95 degree weather in this jacket. Of course, as soon as we stopped for a bit, it had to come off!

As for helmets, all I can say is you get what you pay for. I have a full face Shoei from my musclebike days, and it is the only helmet I can ride in. You will want to try on several, and not just look for fit, but field of view. I can shoulder check the road behind me with my shoei on, I can't do that with a lot of helmets.

I am told HJC (sp?) helmets are on par with Shoei field of view, but I have never tried one. I just know your average Bell full face makes me feel like I am riding with blinders on...

good luck in your gear search and ride safe!

Smoak

Thanks for that link, Smoak! I hadn't run across that site before, but have it bookmarked now.

smoak
05-10-2013, 07:51 PM
No problem, chindog. I get monthly emails from them with specials... they always have cool gear for cheap.

spandi
05-10-2013, 10:40 PM
I personally like the Japanese Kevlaraku style pantsu's :D

blumkin
05-22-2013, 12:53 PM
As far as a jacket goes, just a light windbreaker is sufficient.

inuyasha
05-22-2013, 02:55 PM
Hi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2Wmi6KdPHw
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

Houndguy
05-23-2013, 09:22 AM
I live in Florida and have considered getting a mesh jacket myself. I'll be curious to hear what you buy and what you think of it.

As far as boots. I can not stress this enough. Non-slick, oil resistant soles and waterproof. You can get this at your local Wal-mart for about 40 - 50 bucks.

I would recommend buying two sets of gloves. A lighter pair that you can use for everyday use and a pair of gauntlet gloves. I've been caught out in colder weather (low 20's F) and in the rain. Gauntlet gloves prevent the wind and rain from ending up in your jacket sleeves.

scootnwinn
05-23-2013, 10:27 AM
As far as a jacket goes, just a light windbreaker is sufficient.

A light windbreaker is sufficient only for standing in light winds. The material they are made out of has been known to melt into your road rash. It is even less pleasant to experience than it sounds.

Would you wear a baseball uniform to play football? Why would you wear a walking uniform to ride a motorcycle?