PDA

View Full Version : Newb from Texas...

keltex78
05-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Hey all, a newb to the world of scooters here, looking to purchase my first scooter to save a bit on gas costs. I recently joined another scoot forum, so I'll copy my intro post here with all of the boring details...

I live in Northeast Texas, Kilgore/Henderson/Longview area. I work in IT for a company with several nearby locations I support. I frequently have to travel between these sites, with trips ranging from 1 - 18 miles each way. On top of that, I currently have a 23-mile each-way commute to get to work. This commute is about 50% in-town, with the remaining on Farm Roads where my speed rarely climbs above 55mph. My current vehicle is a Nissan Titan Pickup, and the 70+mpg offered by these scooters is extremely tempting compared to the 17mpg I average in my truck. I get a milage reimbursement on my work-related travel. I've checked and found that insurance is extremely affordable on these scooters. I know parts are cheap, and easy to replace, so this sounds like a good opportunity to save money. I've already prepared a simple spreadsheet calculating fuel costs, and with my current milage and fuel expenses, a bike like this should pay for itself in less than a year.

My interest in scooters began when I had a discussion with another forum user regarding his Kymco Super8 150. I was intriqued by the thought of a $2500 scooter that would get 80mpg so I began researching further. I was a bit concerned about the top-end of the Super8 though, as it was stated to be around 55-60mph, meaning I would be wound out at WOT for a bit of my trip. I would prefer a motor that would handle the 55mph a bit easier, so I investigated Kymco's larger offerings, but found those to be too expensive to justify the purchase. This was also complicated by the fact that I don't have a Kymco dealer in my area (Just one, who only deals in ATVs) and I was hesitant to buy a Super8 without seeing one in person. That lead me to this forum, where I discovered that cheaper options were available.

I've read reviews, watched Youtube videos, and read here, and now I'm strongly leaning toward the Roketa 250cc Type 79, from SuperiorPowersports:

http://www.superiorpowersports.com/250cc_Gas_Scooter_p/rk250sc-79.htm (http://www.superiorpowersports.com/250cc_Gas_Scooter_p/rk250sc-79.htm)

This bike has a lot going for it that I like; in no particular order:

1. 250cc motor: That gives me plenty of headroom to drive the bike at a 55-60mph without being at WOT for extended times, gives additional power for climbings hills, as well as allowing me to drive on the interstate (NO THANKS!!!) if needed.
2. Larger fairing and windshield: The minimal wind protection on the Super8 was a big concern to me as I would be driving the bike at 55mph a lot; I assume this one will be much more comfortable due to the added protection.
3. Trunk in addition to underseat storage: At times, I have to transport small amounts of hardware/tools/etc, so the trunk is a very nice feature which I think I would benefit from immensely!
4. The saddle: This bike look like it would be much more comfortable for a 30+minute work commute than the Super8. Maybe? I've never sat on one so I don't know for sure.
5. Larger fuel tank (?): This bike is said to have a 3+ gallon fuel tank, beating the Super8's 1.3 gallon tank, so less frequent fuel-ups.
6. Nearly $1000 cheaper than the Super8: The Roketa is currently $1599.95 vs. the ~$2500 MSRP on the Kymco.

The only disadvantages I see are the smaller tires (13" vs the Super8's 14"), no local dealer, and the loss of the two-year warranty on the Kymco unit. Regarding warranty, I know that a warranty is basically non-existent, and am not intimidated by that fact. I'm mechanically inclined and already do all my own mechanical work, so I doubt that I'll be overwhelmed with a scooter. I read the full PDI process and that doesn't concern me; I'm the type who would do the majority of that on my own anyway.

Also, I've had some very close friends who were nearly killed in a bad motorcycle accident because they WEREN'T WEARING THEIR HELMETS(!!!). I tend to be cautious regarding such things and would definitely be purchasing/wearing a full-face helmet with the chin protection.

techie610
05-10-2013, 01:47 PM
First: Welcome to the Forums. :D

Second: You get what you pay for, and that holds very true in the concept of Scoots.
Kymco is probably the best brand of scoot I have ever seen. Linhi is another good brand, Chink made, but decent for the money.
That being said, You cant go wrong with a Kymco.
As well, if you can turn a wrench and follow wires, you can tweak, tune, and mod a scoot to do 65, no problem. And if you are like myself, it becomes an Addictive Hobby..
-_-

My father has this:
http://www.saferwholesale.com/150cc-Horizon-4-Stroke-Moped-p/150%20horizon.htm
And he loves it. It has been modded to do 72mph (GPS) but did 55 stock. a little tuning, can do 65. But the size, comfort, weight, ECT. is great.

Guest_3
05-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Welcome to ScootDawg and the Roketa club. :cheers:

Admin
05-11-2013, 12:45 AM
Welcome to SD, hope you like it here! :)

amac1680
05-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Welcome.

Be Big,
AMAC

spandi
05-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Hiya and welcome. This is the place to keep your "Painted Pony" running.

wheelbender6
06-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Welcome to the forum. 80 mpg cars come with a high price and a ton of compromises. 80 mpg scooters are all fun.