PDA

View Full Version : MC54-250-B Voltage regulator questions.

smoak
05-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Finally tracked down all my wiring issues where I had a harness melt and other issues... you can see more here. (http://www.scootdawg.net/showthread.php?t=53219)

The harness that melted was coming straight off the stator wires, looping around to nowhere and then connecting into a harness that goes into what I am assuming is the voltage regulator.

Here is a pic of the unit I am talking about:

The bigger box with the cooling fins (located on the right side rear) has a couple of harnesses coming out of it, and one leads to the stator. So I rewired everything properly and started the bike and let it run. All the wires coming out of the VR got super hot, some too hot to touch. The VR itself got really hot, and the little finned box thing above and to the left also got hot.

So, questions:

1. Is this my VR as I assume?
2. If so, what is the little finned box?
3. How hot should this unit and the wires coming out of it get?
4. If this is what happens when a VR goes bad, are they a simple part to find for replacement?
5. Would this thing getting too hot be what made my bike die while going down the road?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Smoak

bhinch
05-10-2013, 12:02 PM
The large finned box is the Rectifier/Regulator (R/R)...the little finned box is the blocking diode.....they should get warm, but not hot..... When R/R goes away the scoot still runs but it is not charging the battery. My scoot has a 6 wire R/R, which I had to replace a few weeks back. My battery would not charge and the rear stop/turn would not work.
All is good now.....My scoot has a volt meter and it shows 13.4 with the HID's and everything on and going down the road. When my R/R went the volt meter just showed battery voltage which was 11.3 with the engine running....

smoak
05-10-2013, 12:40 PM
The large finned box is the Rectifier/Regulator (R/R)...the little finned box is the blocking diode.....they should get warm, but not hot..... When R/R goes away the scoot still runs but it is not charging the battery. My scoot has a 6 wire R/R, which I had to replace a few weeks back. My battery would not charge and the rear stop/turn would not work.
All is good now.....My scoot has a volt meter and it shows 13.4 with the HID's and everything on and going down the road. When my R/R went the volt meter just showed battery voltage which was 11.3 with the engine running....

Thanks bhinch, that answers a lot of my questions right there! I don't have a volt meter handy, so I wonder if seeing if this is totally bad would be as simple as unhooking the battery cable while it is running and see if the bike dies?

I need to hunt up a meter... Mine walked away somewhere!

Did you replace the rectifier and blocking diode as a set, and where did you get your parts at?

Thanks!
Smoak

bhinch
05-10-2013, 03:16 PM
I replaced the R/R only....the scooter should not run if the battery is removed. I puchased mine from www.bigandlittlescooterparts.com or should I say on Ebay. The 257cc and 260cc Linhai take the 6 wire R/R. The R/R is $56.99 plus shipping $5.99 and is the bigger unit. Some of the R/R are the small units. This is a direct bolt on and the same size and correct number of wires.

smoak
05-10-2013, 07:41 PM
I found this one for $40 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLTAGE-REGULATOR-LINHAI-VOG-260-TOURING-ROKETA-250B-JONWAY-250CC-260CC-SCOOTER-/271022145132?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item3f1a2dbe6c&vxp=mtr

I'll double check voltage output this weekend and then probably go ahead and order it.

Thanks,
Smoak

bhinch
05-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Sounds good to me....great price....

hagedorn45
06-08-2014, 08:21 AM
that is a super price need to get that one quick i paid the same as he did little more for shipping

hagedorn45
06-08-2014, 08:24 AM
man i have got to check when msgs are sent i am a whole lot late in that msg