PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, decisions. Tomos or Kymco

thumper650
05-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Hi fellow Dawgs:

I currently ride a 09 Tomos Nitro 50, which is running pretty well, but has a nagging oil leak from the rear main seal. I tried to replace it once, and will try again with a Honda part as soon as Summer vacation starts.
Recently a friend moved to Japan. He had a 2007 Kymco Agility 50 that he had to get rid of. I bought it for $600 with the intention of selling it for him. He didn't want to be bothered with it. It's completely stock, still restricted and hates cold weather, something I think I could fix. Runs great in this warm weather though.

Here's my question.

I think the Tomos is more a little comfortable, and I like the looks of it better, but I'm wondering if I should sell it and keep the Kymco because it's a better brand? an might last longer? I ride about 10 miles a day in crazy traffic, so this thing is really just an appliance to get to work.

What would you guys do? Maybe keep them both, it just seems excessive.

I'd appreciate your input and sage advice.

Thanks!

wheelbender6
05-07-2013, 09:35 PM
i would keep the scooter that had better parts availability. I don't know which one that would be in Mass.

techie610
05-07-2013, 10:47 PM
They are both great bikes.. Hard choice.
Personally, if your not hurting for cash right away, Id keep both, in case one breaks. Tinker around if you want with the other.
If your looking for the cash, keep the one that you feel runs better. weather that's in MPG, MPH, or whatnot. Sell the other, and hold near half in case your bike needs it.
That's just my two cents.

But id keep both. and that's from someone who has 5.. lol

scootnwinn
05-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Keep them both and ride them alternately until your decision is apparent. Surely the one you enjoy riding the most will make the daily commuting battle less stressful...

sbcwinn
05-14-2013, 05:18 PM
Hi Thumper!

I have a Tomos Nitro 50 too, brand new. It is a big secure heavy bike with a high center of gravity and a very harch ride. I swear that mine becomes airborne (LOL!.)

Please go to the review section of this forum. I posted a review of it.

What would I do??? Sell the Kymco. Why? It may be harder to sell the TOMOS but the TOMOS is really well screwed together. Parts are cheap and readily available.

Then use the money from the sale of the Kymco to fix the oil leak on the TOMOS. The gasket is probably in stock at TOMOS USA. If not there are a ton of third party suppliers.

thumper650
05-26-2013, 03:33 PM
I'm leaning towards the Kymco. I've been using it for a few weeks now. I adjusted the valves and it's running very well. I think it's a little better made than the Tomos, even though the Tomos looks better.
I'll probably sell the Tomos after I attempt to fix the oil leak this Summer.

sbcwinn
05-28-2013, 03:48 PM
The Kymco is a better built bike. No question about it.

Say here's an idea. Sell BOTH and buy a brand new bike altogether!

thumper650
05-29-2013, 09:10 PM
Say here's an idea. Sell BOTH and buy a brand new bike altogether!

Now there's and idea. I'm drooling over the new Zuma, and I really like the Kymco "Like" 50. : )

thumper650
04-22-2014, 09:51 PM
Just an update to this old thread. I decided to keep the Kymco. It's been running great all through the winter. Just hit 6000 miles so I think it's time for a new belt and sliders.
I'm going to sell the Tomos.

Gimpdog
04-23-2014, 01:40 AM
Sounds good to me! Good to know you were safe thrughout this nasty winter...

blueboy5000
04-23-2014, 09:45 AM
I've got a running 2002 Kymco Yup 50 2-t. It has 25,000 miles on it and runs like a champ, and hits 48mph on the flats. The only mods it has are 6g sliders and an unlimited CDI.

I recommend the Kymco. I mean, 25 k, that's just amazing!

thumper650
04-23-2014, 08:24 PM
I recommend the Kymco. I mean, 25 k, that's just amazing!

25K? is that in Kilometers? My agility reads in KM. Either way it's pretty impressive. And thanks gimpdog, the winter was horrible up here. I only took the bus about 8 times the entire winter. Only had to ride home in one surpirse snow storm. Fortunately traffic was absolutely stopped, so I could scoot slowly down the shoulder with my feet down.

Firehawk989
04-28-2014, 01:40 AM
If you change your mind and go with the sell both and buy a Zuma option, don't buy the brand new 4 stroke one, there are very few mod options available. The previous generation 2-strokes are faster and very easy to mod. Also you don't have to worry about adjusting valves or anything with a 2-stroke. Mine is at 16,000km and still going strong.

thumper650
04-28-2014, 05:30 PM
I had a 05 Zuma a while back. No doubt it was bullet proof and fast, even stock. I like the new 4 stroke one. I wouldn't be modding anything to go faster.

Firehawk989
04-28-2014, 06:30 PM
I had a 05 Zuma a while back. No doubt it was bullet proof and fast, even stock. I like the new 4 stroke one. I wouldn't be modding anything to go faster.

Fair enough! I'm sure the new ones will also last forever, especially if left stock.