PDA

View Full Version : fuel eating

andrewrides1
04-30-2013, 11:56 AM
ok I'm selling my 4 stroke but before it goes out i wanna fix a fuel eating problem let me explain my issue. awhile back i was having a bogging and dieing out issue I traced the problem to the fuel tank and fuel vent canister. i took off the canister plugged the hole to the manifold and attached a tube to the gas tank outlet so fuel wouldnt spill out and at the same time some air could get into the tank. This was all probably just a vacuum leak which I didnt know at the time but i diregarded the canister. unfortunatly this quick fix left me eating fuel like a mofo. also i get erratic gauge reading. does anybody know what the problem may be. am i spilling fuel through the top of the tank, burning too much fuel through the carb ect. I have a feeling maybe its evaporating too fast the the top gas tank vent hole. maybe i should just plug the hole.

prodigit
04-30-2013, 11:10 PM
The hole is there to vent fuel damp from the tank.
It's connected to the vacuum hose, allowing your engine to suck in the fumes of gasoline, for an even better evaporation.
Unfortunately, when you overfill the gas tank, the carburetor will get too much fuel, as it will get fuel added to it's air intake, thus run very rich, and bog out sometimes.
I have the same issue on my EVO150.
The fuel should not pour out, only for ~1oz of fuel (the top of the tank).
I'd say, just don't top off the tank; and leave everything stock.

I don't have evaporation problems, however, I do notice that the MPG's are on the lower end of the spectrum. (for my 150 I had hoped to be in the 80's of MPG's, but I'm in the 60's of MPG).

andrewrides1
05-01-2013, 01:47 AM
ya I'm in the 50's too I guess I can live with it. Thank you for the reply. I'm ordering my 50cc 2 stroke tonight. lol I'm so exited. I've had my old scooter on ebay for about a day now and its aleady got some bids. lets see how much it gets me in the next 5 days.