PDA

View Full Version : Headlight mystery

saferider1
04-21-2013, 10:30 PM
I'm having headlight problems on my 2012 Taotao ATM150-A 150cc. In the headlight assembly there are 6 bulbs: twin brights, twin dims (separate bulbs), and twin running lights. First the left bright went out. Then a day later all the bulbs went out except for the right running light. It's a bear to take off the front plastics, so I wanted to ask for ideas before I dive in. Connectors? Wiring? Surely all the bulbs didn't burn out? Also, when I checked the Taotao parts web site (eagleatvparts.com), they don't sell the bulbs individually, you have to buy the whole headlight assembly. Anyone out there been able to swap out bulbs if that's the problem?

richardthescooter1
04-22-2013, 12:07 PM
If you have a fuse box, I'd check the wire underneath the fuse box, they can come loose and cause problems, make sure your connection are tight.

saferider1
04-22-2013, 08:11 PM
If you have a fuse box, I'd check the wire underneath the fuse box, they can come loose and cause problems, make sure your connection are tight.

Thanks Richard. I'll check as soon as this snow storm blows through. I think it might be a connector or wiring issue.

smoak
04-22-2013, 10:02 PM
Just a thought, I had headlight problems on my Roketa. Turns out it was the switch on the bar. I had to tear it down and clean/rebuild it.

I would have lights go out, sometimes all, sometimes one or two..

It was a 20 minute fix.

Good luck!

Smoak

saferider1
04-22-2013, 10:18 PM
Just a thought, I had headlight problems on my Roketa. Turns out it was the switch on the bar. I had to tear it down and clean/rebuild it.

I would have lights go out, sometimes all, sometimes one or two..

It was a 20 minute fix.

Good luck!

Smoak

Thanks smoak. I'll let you guys know what I find!

techie610
04-23-2013, 01:59 PM
I had sort've the same problems on my bikes.
My Vento had a corroded grounding.
My Sportiva had a bad Voltage Regulator.
Turns out, every Chink bike Ive seen has bad wiring, but the Japo and Taiwan scoots are built much better. Holds true to: You get what you pay for. lol

spandi
04-23-2013, 05:10 PM
You might want to give the connections a shot of Corrosion X first and see if that helps.

saferider1
04-24-2013, 04:44 PM
Hey guys. So, I learned that there's a single bulb for dim/bright. It's a Philips HS1 12V/35W, and both bulbs are burned out. Is this just pure coincidence that both burned out within 24 hours of each other, or is something else going on? Ideas? Thanks.

techie610
04-24-2013, 11:04 PM
I would replace the VR, then the light bulbs.
Regulators are relatively cheap.

saferider1
04-24-2013, 11:13 PM
I would replace the VR, then the light bulbs.
Regulators are relatively cheap.

Thanks techie. do you know where to find the regulator on a Taotao ATM150-A? Where do I look? What does it look like?

techie610
04-29-2013, 05:20 PM
Sorry for the delayed answer.
Most bikes I have messed with, the VR is behind the headlight unit. Single, metal box, bolted to the triple-tree, with a small cluster clip on it.
Typically, has fins for cooling. Probably wont be much bigger than the CDI.

saferider1
04-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Sorry for the delayed answer.
Most bikes I have messed with, the VR is behind the headlight unit. Single, metal box, bolted to the triple-tree, with a small cluster clip on it.
Typically, has fins for cooling. Probably wont be much bigger than the CDI.

thanks techie, now that you've described it, i know exactly where it is. that's the part that came flopping around when i assembled the bike. it's bolted to the steering column. now i know what that thing is!! thanks again!

techie610
04-29-2013, 05:42 PM
No problem dude. :D
But that has to be bolted. grind a clean, flat surface to put it on.
Needs that grounding point.

saferider1
04-29-2013, 05:44 PM
No problem dude. :D
But that has to be bolted. grind a clean, flat surface to put it on.
Needs that grounding point.

No worries. The bike comes with a mounting point. It's bolted down. It just ships loose, flopping around hanging by its wires for some reason. Thanks again.

techie610
05-19-2013, 03:37 PM
@ saferider1 :
Have you ran into anything else?

saferider1
05-19-2013, 04:12 PM
As far as headlights, the new bulbs are holding up just fine. Didn't replace the VR. Other issues with the bike: main problems are loose bolts, which are an easy fix. Swing arm to tail pipe bolt like to come loose. Rear axle nut was loose from factory, as were the front brake caliper bolts--which made a nice clunking sound when braking. I did some up front upgrades like fuel lines, vacuum lines, Naraku CDI, coil, NGK spark plug, valve stems, etc. So it's been pretty trouble free, now has 2,700 km on it.