PDA

View Full Version : Lance Milan Brake Switch not engaging - no starter, no brake lights

imbayliss
04-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Hi All,

I have a 2007 Lance Milan that I bought on Craigslist. When I got it, the front brake lever wouldn't engage the brake light but the rear brake lever did. I use the brakes together so wasn't too concerned at first but it was on my list of things to do. Now the rear brake lever will not engage the brake light and it also keeps the starter from engaging. I can still kick start it but without any brake lights, I don't want to ride it. Obviosly, I have to fix this now so I can get brake lights back and the starter would be nice as well.

My question is, how do I trouble shoot this? Would it have anything to do with brake fluid or is it safe to assume it's the brake switch? If it is the brake switch, I need to identify the part and order a new one. What's it look like? Is it electronic or a mechanical switch?

All advice is appreciated! Thanks!

qwertydude
04-18-2013, 08:50 PM
These sound like you have bad brake lever switches, or bad connections. These bikes have interlocks where the starter won't engage unless the brakes are pressed. Look carefully where the brake levers are joined to the bars and you'll notice two wires.

Pull the wires and make sure the connection is solid, you can squish the connectors together with pliers to grip the spades tighter, if these are tight and making a connection then it might be the switch itself is bad. When pressing the brake levers initially you should hear a very light click, that's the sound of the switch activating. If you don't get that sound the switch isn't working.

The last thing might be the contacts in the switch might be bad, so you might need new ones. Also before taking everything apart, sometimes dirt and grease can cause the tiny switch button which is pressed by the lever to jam, if you notice the button is jammed you can clean the area with WD-40.

This is where they are.

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/8866/brakeswitch.jpg

imbayliss
04-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Thanks for this! That's exactly what I needed. I know that I get the 'click' on the rear brake lever, not sure about the front. I'll get the plastics off and clean those connections and see if that does the trick.

I'll keep you posted!

jmstar09
04-19-2013, 03:05 PM
On the Milan the switches are like this one. The right and left switches are made opposite each other so you have to order one of each. Also, don't over-tighten the screws that hold the switch in place cause you can break the plastic rendering the switch useless.

http://scootersparts.net/images/Front%20Brake%20Switch.jpg

imbayliss
04-20-2013, 07:18 PM
I got the plastcis off, disconnected the wires and crimped them down a bit. They're reconnected and the rear works fine again, starter and brake lights are fine. Front brake switch is working intermittently, about what it was like before. I'll probably have to get new switches eventually but using the brakes together, the brake light is working so it's ridable again. Thanks for your help folks!

Now I may have to start a new thread though because I put on a new carb as well and she's bogging down at full throttle. I can get her going, veeeery slowly but not fast enough to keep up with traffic which is frustrating. New post coming!

Craig

imbayliss
04-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Seriously though, thanks everyone for posting!!

imbayliss
05-15-2013, 02:31 PM
Ended up needing new switches.... they're installed and all is good!