PDA

View Full Version : sudden loss of power out ofnowhere

raygun04
04-14-2013, 11:02 PM
So I suddenly lost power again and while i was trying to give it a little gas to get home it died on me and now it wont start? o.O might anyone know the problemo? I just did the valves by the way and shes been working alot better ever since I did that...I almost thought my loss of power problemo was over o.O;;;; thanks for anyones assistance

DW
04-14-2013, 11:45 PM
If it has the under seat air box, sometimes the snorkel comes loose from it at the bottom of the air box. Check the spade terminals on the coil for a solid connection.

raygun04
04-14-2013, 11:49 PM
air box? I do beleive that is above my cvt case.... So I should check the Cdi and the coil? I might add everything is stock....I havent changed out the spark plug or anything I might add

richardthescooter1
04-15-2013, 11:09 AM
When you say it won't start, does it crank? If so, check to make sure your spark plug is tight, check those vacuum lines and intakes to make sure they are tight.

raygun04
04-15-2013, 07:07 PM
yeah it sounds like she wants to start....and ill check the spark plug make sure all the lines are on good and tight when I get the chance (it rains here till friday)

richardthescooter1
04-15-2013, 08:00 PM
When checking if spark plug cap is tight and coil wire, you could take spark plug out and place in cap ground to the frame and crank it to see if your getting spark. plus how many mile from the last valve adjustment?

raygun04
04-15-2013, 08:21 PM
I just did them about a week ago....though I barely rode my scooter without my helmet (for just half a block down and back) last night and i noticed my scooter is alot louder to o.O;;; I can also hear ticking even after my scooter has warmed up and will quicken or slow depending on the rpms and how much gas i give o.O;;;;

richardthescooter1
04-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Ticking is normal.

erictheviking666
04-16-2013, 12:23 PM
How many miles are on it? You mentioned you hadn't changed the plug out yet. If your using a standard non-Iridium plug, it needs to be at least CLEANED (preferably replaced) about every thousand miles to maintain best performance! Do your self a favor and get the Iridium plug it last 5 or 6 times longer than a standard plug. Also you should check your fuel flow and maybe replace the filter.

DW
04-16-2013, 01:05 PM
A soft ticking is ok, a loud ticking should be adjusted in my humble opinion. Just turn the crank till the rocker is completely off the cam lobe, adjust to a tight .004in (take your time and make sure it's right) then do the other one the same way. The air box is the plastic housing around your air filter. Is your air filter cleanish? (some dust ok, oil bad) How old is your gas? Fuel filters clean? Petcock working? If it runs for a bit then stalls, it seems your carb bowl is running dry. Then when it sits for a while, enough fuel seeps in to let it start and run again, then stall. Is that your problem?

50cc
04-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Try with a new CDI!!! Had the same issue and it was the CDI dying on mine.

raygun04
04-16-2013, 07:43 PM
like the last time I was riding I just started loosing power...and if i tried to give her gas she would just die faster unless i eased off the throttle (but ill usually dont turn back on the throttle fully only to keep her at her normal idle untill she recovers but she usually dies and ive only kept her from dieing like that one time only) and Ive got about 1,500 miles almost on her....but yeah after she dies I'll usually have to wait a while before shel start back up

raygun04
04-16-2013, 07:57 PM
oh! and i also notice when i trying to start her back up my gas goes down a bit I THINK so perhaps its the petcock? i usually get gas somewhat often and i use a capful or two of seafoam about every other fill up around

DW
04-17-2013, 03:07 AM
check your fuel filters. Pinch off the fuel line by the tank and pull the filters and put a clean piece of hose on the back end of the filter and blow through it. If you can't get air through it after the gas is pushed out then it's clogged and needs replaced. If thats ok check the vac line to the petcock and try bypassing the petcock temporarily. If it starts and stays running, check the petcock end of the vac line to see if you have good suction. If thats fine replace the petcock. Also slowly take your gas cap off after it stalls and listen for a air hiss as you twist the cap. sometimes the vent in the cap stops letting air in the tank and creates a vacuum. It seems that the problem is your only getting a trickle of gas down to the carb. As the bike sits, without running the gas slowly fills the float bowl, the gas in the bowl gets used up and it acts like it's out of gas because your not getting a good fuel flow to your carb. I would check all that before I started buying parts. All this assumes you have a gravity fed system with the tank behind the seat. Is your air filter clean and the fat tube that runs to the back of the carb secure and leak free?

raygun04
04-17-2013, 01:43 PM
ehh.. will I be able to tell the difference between the air and gas lines? *feels dumb* lol I was suppose to have my uncle help me with this but since he seen my scooter actually hes since changed his mind o.O;;;; if it wasnt for scootdawg or youtube I wouldov never learned or been able to change the oils and do a valve adjustment myself....though I will check my air filter and what not today

DW
04-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Can you post a pic or two of the engine compartment? I can indicate what part is what and repost it. Just have patients and we'll git er going again. Not even sure what scooter you have.

raygun04
04-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Ive got a SSR Znen Interceptor and I will take pics once I find the missing work lamp we have for light so the pics wont be dark or anything (doesnt have flash)

raygun04
04-20-2013, 02:21 PM
heres another video of what worries me....its louder in real life though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_gKkSegWw8&feature=youtu.be

(still havent found the work lamp but it will be nice tomorrow so ill take everything apart and take pics...oh and the air filter is clean btw...didnt seem like like it was taking in alot of air though so i was thinking maybe its the air lines??)

raygun04
04-20-2013, 02:33 PM
I dont feel as bad now i just heard a scooter as loud or louder then mine pass from inside lol

DW
04-20-2013, 03:40 PM
Should I be thinking that your fuel tank is under your feet or under your seat in the back? I did hear the valves ticking a bit. I doubt if they are too loose or causing your problem and should quiet down a bit as your valves seat. No tap at all (when the engine is cold) indicates too tight and risk of burning a valve. Always adjust them with a cold engine.

raygun04
04-20-2013, 03:48 PM
yeah I adjusted them when the engine was cold but I could check them again to make sure

raygun04
04-24-2013, 07:59 PM
took a ride to Chicago and I made it there and back with no problems (as long as I kept it under 45)

Crash4723
05-11-2013, 03:53 AM
Sounds like a fuel filter or petcock issue. I ran SeaFoam through my '08 Tank Racer and it just flat out would not run at all. I love SeaFoam and run it through the crank case and fuel system of all the cars I owned, works great. Just not sure with the scoot.

I would start with the fuel system first. It is easier to adjust and diagnose than the electrical system. New filter, check twice the petcock for proper opening to allow the fuel to flow. Also blow backwards through the fuel line to the tank. Could be a piece of crap blocking the hole in the tank.

If you rule out fuel and move on to diagnose electrical be very patient and careful. Make sure you choose the correct replacement part. There are sooooooo many different variations out there. Sooooooooo many..