PDA

View Full Version : Light oil leak in variator case after agressive riding

50cc
04-05-2013, 04:50 AM
Hi all,

had a blown crank seal that was leaking inside the vario case, replaced it with a new original KTM seal and leaking stopped for a few days, but later I noticed some leaking again, but only after long WOT rides. Oil does not get on the variator or belt, just slowly leaks and drops from the back of the case (there's a kind of a small passage on the cover, below the clutch). Drips for 5 minutes after a rough ride (i have 4.5g rolpers now and rpm is quite high), then it stops. Oil level does not change, no oil on any moving parts, no oil puddles over night and so on.. So i'm asking is this dangerous or I just add some oil when needed and ride it like this?

Thanks in advajce guys.

Firehawk989
04-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Could it be the oil seal on your transmission input shaft? I had to replace one of those on my previous scooter cause it was leaking into the vario case under the clutch.

50cc
04-05-2013, 06:47 PM
No, it's the new seal, I traced the leak :( Also, no oil around the trans seal.

50cc
04-06-2013, 05:29 AM
So what do you think? Should I worry?

50cc
04-08-2013, 04:41 AM
yeah, i guess it's not so bad, so i'll just keep on riding it like that..

teddy554
04-08-2013, 09:34 AM
yeah, i guess it's not so bad, so i'll just keep on riding it like that..
Where is the oil coming from, i would let it leak oil inside the cvt, i would fix that for it doesn't get the inside of the cvt oil nastyand run the chance of it getting on the belt and cause slippage

jmstar09
04-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Remove the variator and grab the crank with your hand and try to move it side to side. If the bearing is sloppy then there's your problem! If the bearing is failing, it'll eventually make a clunking sound most noticeable at idle and the leak will get worse.