PDA

View Full Version : Riding in the rain.

Houndguy
04-05-2013, 02:24 AM
I had some business to take care of today and the girlfriend required my car for her duties. So I jumped on the bike...just in time to be caught out in a rain storm.

It wasn't that bad, we have been having a drought here in West Central Florida and frankly it felt pretty good to be out riding around in a steady, cool rain. I've been wanting to get out and see how the new bike handled wet conditions and she passed with flying colors. :clap:

After my business was done I was feeling so good I took her on a little ride, finding an old cemetery that deserves a closure look (I'm a history buff and cemetery's are a book chock full of info if you know what to look for). I was going to ride up the road and get some information about a nearby zoo I heard about but the lightening started to flash so I decided it could wait.

Not really a ride report but a pretty little jaunt of maybe 50 miles round trip. Riding in the rain just made my whole day. I commuted to work with a smile on my face and rode home under threatening skies but dry roads tonight (I work from 4 PM to 1 AM most nights).

I could not help but chuckle as I heard a couple with the windows down call me a damn fool for riding. But it didn't matter. It felt right to be out. :scoot:

50cc
04-05-2013, 05:00 AM
i ride in storms, rain, snow, wind.. all year round since the scoot is my only ride. just get some good clear goggles and dont care what cagers say.

prodigit
04-05-2013, 05:07 AM
I hate riding in the rain!
It pisses me off!
However, there's a certain 'piss-off'-level limit I can bear. Once the level goes beyond sanity, I snap, and don't give a F# anymore!
When I'm finally totally soaking wet, there's no reason to try to stay dry anymore.

Then I'll start laughing, and cursing at the same time, at the heavens for throwing all it's garbage on me!
My F-words will turn into 'singing in the rain' songs, and I'll happily splash in the deepest peddle I can find!
Heck, as long as there's not a single inch dry anymore, I don't even care if it's a 5ft deep peddle; I'll jump into it!
It's free-ing experience!

But if there's even one square inch dry on my shirt, you bet I'll protect it!

ascoda
04-05-2013, 06:59 AM
I rode in that rain to and from work yesterday. I do it a lot in the summer. I really don't mind it. I carry a rain jacket and rain pants in the scoot all the time. Be extra careful, stay out of the oily center of the lanes and painted lines. They will be real slippery in the wet.

50cc
04-05-2013, 07:53 AM
Be extra careful, stay out of the oily center of the lanes and painted lines. They will be real slippery in the wet.
i second that - wet road markings are the biggest bitches, one must never front-brake on one!!

richardthescooter1
04-05-2013, 12:12 PM
I ride in the rain too, just have to be careful on the curves and turns, to me the wind is most trickest.

Firehawk989
04-05-2013, 06:13 PM
I rode in that rain to and from work yesterday. I do it a lot in the summer. I really don't mind it. I carry a rain jacket and rain pants in the scoot all the time. Be extra careful, stay out of the oily center of the lanes and painted lines. They will be real slippery in the wet.

Found that one out the hard way yesterday. Car in front of me made a sudden stop for a yellow light. I dodged the car, but put the scoot down. Fortunately I'm ok, and the scoot fared well too, except for the rear brake lever. Now I will leave a lot more space between me and other cars in the rain, that could have been way worse than it was! :doh:

Houndguy
04-10-2013, 07:44 AM
Oh no doubt! I recommend no less than 3 seconds in the rain. As others have said, try to stay in the tire tracks of the car ahead of you. If you have bright viz gear, make sure you wear it, etc.

My scoot is my main means of transportation and I will ride it 95% of the time. But if I can avoid riding in the rain I will for the safety reasons mentioned in this post.

amac1680
04-10-2013, 12:08 PM
No choice eventually you get hit with rain here. Slow down and look out .

Be Big,
AMAC

Domindart
04-13-2013, 02:03 AM
Other day i got caught in the rain too and it was kinda fun...but I'm gonna have to find some rain pants.

Frank Castle
02-07-2014, 01:20 AM
i dont mind riding in the cold weather but i hate riding in the rain, it gets dangerous

bandito2
02-07-2014, 12:38 PM
I don't mind riding in the rain (except at night) I don't mind riding when it is cold (except when frost, snow or ice is on the road) But I do NOT like riding when it is wet and cold at the same time. That is just miserable. I carry rain gear with me all the time too because you never know when it might rain. Plus rain gear works real good at blocking wind helping to keep a rider warm. And keeping more distance from vehicles in front of you and slowing down are important for you safety as well as being even more vigilant about keeping aware of surrounding space and other vehicles. Cage drivers are vision impaired in rain too.

yayforscooters
02-07-2014, 09:06 PM
I don't ride in the rain. I am afraid to. It is unpleasant and scary. It's not always very safe to ride in the rain, so I usually don't! (:

Irish
08-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Word of WARNING! Watch out for Toll Booths! Vehicles leave oil( from exhaust when accelerating & stopping)on the pavement! It is VERY slippery!!!!:tdown::s Irish:scoot::nuts:

cheapeto
08-11-2015, 07:33 AM
This year I decided to not be so much of a fair weather rider. Since I'm riding longer miles now, I figured I just needed more rain riding experience.
I also carry my rain gear, so I can just motor on. If it's coming down real hard, like down in North Carolina last year, I just pull way off the rode and hunker down.
I find road paint to be very slippery myself.