PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever run out of gas?

qwertydude
03-25-2013, 10:57 PM
I just had this happen to me. But it's not what you think.

I was riding my Sym Wolf on the freeway and the empty light came on a little earlier than expected. Well I only had about 10 miles before I reached home and having had this light come on before I knew I had at least 25 miles left til I was truly out.

Well my engine sputters and dies. Luckily I was in the right lane and simply rode into the emergency lane. Tank is bone dry nothing left. And then I smelled gas.

Turns out right where the fuel line plugs into the vacuum petcock under the tank was a small crack that leaked the gas out.

I had to push the bike half a mile then up a freeway merge ramp and then a half mile more to an exit where a gas station was. Luckily the Sym Wolf in neutral is as easy to push as a bicycle. I'd have hate to have to push say a Honda Shadow 750 a mile.

teddy554
03-26-2013, 02:42 PM
all the time on my cpi cause i have no gauge....i have ran out of gas 4 time right by a gas station lucky me and about 3 times nowhere near anything...not so lucky and very dumb but i keep a close eye on it now

amac1680
03-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Keep a bottle of everclear under your seat.
Cures many roadside issues...........

Be Big,
AMAC

Admin
03-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Keep a bottle of everclear under your seat.
Cures many roadside issues...........

Be Big,
AMAC

:lmao: May cause some issues too! :D

I have a video of a friend from last summer that would take a mouth full of it and spit it out and light it. It was quite entertaining, but it started to get to him after the 3rd or 4th presentation. :hehe:

amac1680
03-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Yepper , not to be taken seriously !

Be Big,
AMAC

MEAN_MOTOFINO
03-27-2013, 11:52 AM
I always run out. Usually its in convenient places. One time it was totally dry in the tank... the scoot literally stalled as I was pulling in to fuel up.

I also had one issue with my stock MotoMojoRinoFino tank where it had developed a hairline crack on the bottom of the tank and it would slowly drip out. I guess the torture from wheelie did it... who knows.

prodigit
03-27-2013, 12:21 PM
I usually time it.
One time I was on reserve with my Honda VT750, but made it without running out.
My ATM50 does about 125-150 miles on a tank (just over a gallon), so I'd need to ride a lot before I'd ever get there.

techie610
03-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Worst time I ran out..
Half way up a 40 degree hillside, about a mile long..
No jug, can, extra.. Nothing. Found a Pepsi bottle on the road, when I pushed it to the top. (Safer than being on the bottom of the hill)
A passing scoot filled me up the 18oz bottle, and I went on.

This was at 0600, in the middle of NOWHERE. Not a building in sight.

Guest_3
03-28-2013, 01:01 AM
I haven't yet, But Dee did twice going to the gas station. http://forums.pcpitstop.com/public/style_emoticons/default/pullhair.gif

Now I always keep 5gals of gas in the garage. :)

skuttadawg
03-28-2013, 05:06 AM
There first night I had my Magnum which is a 2T I went on a ride into another county and ran out of gas . I had not done that in over 20 years . Luckily I was 1/4 from a gas station . So I learned when you get a scooter fill it up and check the gauge and gas level to see if its accurate . My Echarm gets in the red when its halfway but still has more of a red stripe to go . It holds 2 gallons and only have been able to put in 4 dollars worth of premium 3 times . My 2T only holds 4 liters almost a gallon

Domindart
04-13-2013, 02:21 AM
No working fuel gauge so ya I have twice. Need to find out how many miles per tank..