PDA

View Full Version : Honda Reflex damage - photos

Oldnewb
03-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Hi Everybody,
I'm one of the new old guys. Just posted an inquiry yesterday looking for advice about how to remove a damaged body panel on my 'new to me' 2003 Honda Reflex. I'm attaching some photos so you see the damage and the panel I'm referring to. I've removed all of the hardware connecting the damaged panel, but is showing resistance. I'm not going to force it off and do more damage. It looks like I may need to remove the center panel that supports the windscreen and possibly some plastic around the handlebars and gauges. Don't know.
I've got a service manual CD on order as well as an owner's manual that I found on E-Bay, but I've no idea how long shipping will take on those items. Any dismantling advice?
Thanks, :scoot: Dave135

scootnwinn
03-24-2013, 05:58 PM
that center piece that says Honda comes off first nice bike by the way

Oldnewb
03-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Yeah, that's my conclusion too. I'll probably stall for a bit waiting for the service manual. Also, I'm going to have to make sure a replacement gasket is available for the windscreen in case that's needed.
Thanks for the compliment on the scooter. I really like it too. I'm kinda liken the Burgmans but this 250 is as big as I dared start with. I feel like I'm on the verge of some great adventures.:D Dave

richardthescooter1
03-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Hope this helps.

richardthescooter1
03-25-2013, 04:23 PM
one more.

richardthescooter1
03-25-2013, 04:24 PM
And this one. and btw nice scoot

Oldnewb
03-26-2013, 01:49 AM
Richard,
Thank you! I feel a little stupid now. I'd realized the center piece that secures the windscreen needs to come off first, but I hadn't removed the two screws that fasten from inside. Wow. That was very kind of you to take the time to do that. Thanks a million.
I'd just gotten new tires for my scooter today and I've got plans for other more routine checks I'm anxious to do, but this fix is really on the top of the pile for me. I'll post my progress.:scoot: Dave

richardthescooter1
03-26-2013, 11:21 AM
Dave,
Your welcome, I had those pic's in my photo album so I can help in most areas concerning scoots. I've had mine apart more times then I can count. I have the MC-54-250B Roketa scooter (the Honda Reflex clone) In front of scoot just below headlights, (only the nuts come off, after you have the front loose the front will drop of the screws) Good luck, let us know if you need anymore help.

Oldnewb
03-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Hey Richard,
Your photos helped a lot. I looked at them several times today. I'd also over-looked the screws under the floor mat. I've got everything off minus the cowling. All fasteners are removed and I've made some progress, but as I'm sure you well know, I've got resistance from the studs/anchors-points below the headlights.
I'm thinking it may be easier to unplug the headlights and turn signals, but leave the lights themselves in place until after I've got the cowling all the way out. (I'm still waiting for manuals) Can you explain how to unplug the lights please?
I can see (2) screws at each turn signal as well as the screws fastening the headlights. I looks like it would be easiest to just leave all those screws in place until after the panel is out.
Thanks in advance. :scoot: Dave

Oldnewb
03-26-2013, 09:52 PM
Yeeoooow!!
I got it. Lotsa staring, headscratching, questions and searches. The last little bit getting down off of those two studs on the frame was slow and ticklish. No additional damage. Tomorrow I'll gather materials to begin the fiberglass repair. Really looking forward to scooting.
Richard, thank you again so very much for the photos. They were very helpful. I figured out how to unplug the lights and harness by looking at the same hardware on E-bay.
Thank you everybody for welcoming me to your fraternity and for all of your encouragement. :scoot: I'll post some more pics as I progress. Dave

Admin
03-26-2013, 11:57 PM
Glad everything is coming together for ya Dave! :tup:

richardthescooter1
03-27-2013, 09:03 AM
Hey Dave, good looking tires, glad you made good progress.

Oldnewb
03-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Hi Richard,
Thanks. The tires are Bridgestone. Got em at Bike Bandit. This entire scooter experience is something new all the time. I read a comment the other day by another Honda Reflex owner about tires. He said he'd discovered a car tire that works on the rear tire. He uses 145/80 R12. He says they last 6 times as long as scooter tires. Got it from a thread entitled Honda Reflex dated 2/10/2013.
Got another question for you. Another tidbit I picked up from another thread about body plastic re-assembly said he'd used RTV on his anchor points when re-assembling as an insurance policy against screws backing themselves out.
I thought that might be a good decision with the typical self-cutting threads, but not with the machine threads. What's your experience? In your experiences have you had any trouble with your your screws backing out? Dave

richardthescooter1
03-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Hi Dave,
If you have these body clip and screws, (thats what I have on my scoot) they work good and stray tight, every once in awhile if you work on your scoot like I do, they can striped out, but they are very cheap to buy and replace, Vog has push pins, I would not like them.

Oldnewb
04-04-2013, 12:18 AM
Richard,
Hi. Thank you again for another valuable tip. Yes, I do have that type of clip in all locations where I have the self-tapping type of screw. That's the location where I'll probably use the RTV as a supplement this time. My scooter has just over 6000 miles on it and this is probably the first time the front cover has been off. I store your tip and look at some of those the next time around.
I've finally got repair and fiberglass work done and I'm very pleased with the outcome. We're having some wet weather right now, so as soon as the rain backs off and the humidity gets to where it's best within a few days I'll paint my cover. I'll post some more pics then.
:scoot: Dave

richardthescooter1
04-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Sound good Dave, hope your out scooting soon. Be careful out there, but most of all have FUN.

cheetah
06-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Awesome pictures! I hope you are getting this fixed. I think it's cool that you are trying to do it on your own. I am afraid that if I crash my Cheetah I will be taking it to a shop to get it fixed. I wouldn't feel too bad about forgetting about the screws. I've done that a few times.

Bob Shaw
09-29-2013, 09:44 PM
Dave, when I had to repair my damage from laying mine down, 2005 silver reflex, I went to an auto paint store with my VIN # and they matched my paint perfectly, and even put into a spray can. You can get with or without hardening, and with or without gloss. I figured I would be using it again, which I did, so I got the non-hardening, and then went over it with a clear coat.

Bob

Oops, sorry, I see that this was an old post. Well, did you get it fixed, and how does it look? Got any new pictures?