PDA

View Full Version : Scoot Repairs - DIY?

Admin
03-19-2013, 04:02 AM
So when the scoot breaks down or needs routine maintenance, do you do it yourself, or have someone else do the work?

Just my latest attmept to start interesting poll topics. :scoot:

teddy554
03-19-2013, 08:38 AM
yeah wish i could pay some one lol

Guest_3
03-19-2013, 09:01 AM
I hate to say it..but we take the scoots to Big Al's Cycle Shop to be fixed when needed.

scootnwinn
03-19-2013, 10:11 AM
The only thing I don't do is mount and balance tires. I do remove them from the bike and reinstall but not the actual mounting...

jct842
03-19-2013, 10:58 AM
I do it all. I even did a top end over haul on my 400cc majesty. That was caused by a poor design on yamaha's part. In doing it I found parts for chinese scooters are a whole lot easier and quicker to get than yamaha. It was a 2007 and they do not even stock new pistons for it in the USA. john

Firehawk989
03-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Done all the work so far on the 2 scooters I owned. First was a Benzhou Deluxe 50 with 8000km for $600. That one got new driven face, new rollers, new belt, fresh oil seals for the transmission, tapped transmission oil drain plug to a larger size because the old one was stripped out, and a new clutch.

The one I currently own, a Hyosung Sense with 6800km, got for $400 not running. Just got it back on the road, it needed a thorough carb cleaning and adjustment, fresh gas, new plug, new battery, and the head and exhaust bolts tightened to get it going properly again. Tops out at only 60km/h or so though, so next I'm going to get into the transmission. Probably needs a new belt and rollers/sliders at least.

I think I would draw the line at having to split the crankcase though. Would probably just try to find a new or used engine to replace the dead one.

beachbum
03-19-2013, 02:12 PM
I do all the work.

These forums are just awesome. You really can find all the help you need to do the work yourself.

I can see that if you dont have the time, you might just bring it to somebody.

mrmike
03-19-2013, 03:19 PM
I hate to say it..but we take the scoots to Big Al's Cycle Shop to be fixed when needed.

Wayne

I live here in Westvale (Syracuse West). Where is this Big Al's cycle shop located? I will do most of my own work, but would need tire work and inspections done somewhere else.

Guest_3
03-19-2013, 03:57 PM
Hey Mike, Al is in Deansboro NY. But I heard he is moving to Waterville NY.

chindog
03-19-2013, 07:15 PM
I've never done any work on my scooter. That's all changing this weekend. I'm going to do the oil/filter change, change the gear oil, replace the air filter, and do a CVT belt and roller/slider change. I just hope it runs right after I finish.

jeepsteve92xj
03-19-2013, 08:20 PM
Always do my own work, but I'll be having the exhaust modded by a shop after I work out the fit and figure where the oxygen sensor bung needs to be installed.
Oh yea I have a seat being done up by a motorcycle seat craftsman. I need ot give him a call, haven't spoke to him in a while.

mrmike
03-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Hey Mike, Al is in Deansboro NY. But I heard he is moving to Waterville NY.

Thanks for the response. I'll look him up when I need work done.

50cc
03-20-2013, 02:17 AM
The only thing I don't do is mount and balance tires. I do remove them from the bike and reinstall but not the actual mounting...

Same here.

amac1680
03-20-2013, 06:52 AM
I still have busted up knuckles from owning my Harley all thoses years. Now other than fluids my bikes go to the shop. I'm just getting to old to enjoy it anymore .

Be Big,
AMAC

bhinch
03-20-2013, 12:40 PM
What is a scooter shop....I have none here. Have over 9000 miles on my scoot and have installed HID head lights, manual choke, recovered the seat myself, LED's on the rear and installed a rear trunk. It is a 2008 Roketa 250B (257) purchased new in July 2008. Enjoy the ride...http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr163/hinchb/04dc5514-b907-4a07-8682-e54999badd92_zps517cd2f8.jpg

epyon96r
03-20-2013, 12:54 PM
I do over 90 percent of the work myself, my girl(ex now) did the other 10 percent and that was pretty cool. It was mostly minor mods and not repairs, mostly... If the engine ever pooped out, I would def need some help from a shop.

spandi
03-20-2013, 01:11 PM
I see my mechanic every morning bright and early....In the bathroom mirror :nod: :lmao::ugh:
When I started out (after taking off the tupperware) it looked like a hopeless mass of wires and tubes, now I can fix or modify it in my sleep.

scootnwinn
03-20-2013, 09:09 PM
I just realized I answered wrong. My scooter doesn't break down...

I do my own maintenance. ;)

99owned
03-20-2013, 11:01 PM
Lol ^
|

I try to do all work needed or mods my self, With the exception of this 1 scoot i've been buggering people for help on here :D

richardthescooter1
03-21-2013, 12:18 PM
I do all my own work, only thing I go to shop for is mount and balance my tires, but I take them off too. someday soon I want to be able to do this also. All the work I've done on mine scoot, if I took to a shop it be a huffy cost to be. It is good to become one with your bike, with some experience only you will know what wrong, alot of shop when looking for a problem are just guessing.

prodigit
03-22-2013, 03:36 AM
I do all the basic stuff.
If it gets too complex, or i don't know how to solve something,I'll either bring in the bike, or sell it.

larrball
03-22-2013, 07:57 PM

Me 3. (50cc was #2 )

My first 2 scooters (scooters like most of us have/50cc/Gy6) where junk right off the start and always needed 'ANOTHER' problem to justify the $400 price tag.
Now the little 2009 Jonway i have now has been as close to a Honda/Yamaha scooter as i'v seen outside this and most scooter forms.
I do a good PDI twice a year and replace all maintenance items and keep it under a cover all year around.
So far, so good with only a CDI/lights/Battery that had to be replaced and some parts that where replaced by choice.
Yep i got a good deal, got a bit lucky, but now i did pay almost right at $1000 for it back 3 years ago.

Oh ya, the horn works only now and then due to lack of use and when it warms up i'll spray that switch with contact spray. ;)

And Yes, i'm still keeping my eye on that 2012-13 Zuma.

Too bad my eye and my pocket book don't see to well together, or my ass would be riding a Zuma this spring..(Pun intended).. Oh, well.

larrball
03-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Mike.
DO this a poll sticky // no reply/

Nice to have as a post/info, but a poll overview should be ongoing.

Mclovin
03-29-2013, 05:27 AM
Everything except paint.

Jellofingers
04-02-2013, 02:13 AM
Same here on Maui, true there are some, but the cost is unbelievable! I have done all my own work with the help from you guys...

Irish
03-15-2015, 12:54 PM
Wayne

I live here in Westvale (Syracuse West). Where is this Big Al's cycle shop located? I will do most of my own work, but would need tire work and inspections done somewhere else.
I recently bought a 2006 HD Sportster w/ Trike Kit. If it says Harley on it , you can't afford NOT to do your own work! EX: an ashtray might cost $2 , take the same ashtray & put H.D. on it & it will cost (AT LEAST ) $7. Irish:s

bigshankhank
03-19-2015, 06:36 AM
I did all the maintenance and repair work on my in-laws scoots when I lived near them in Florida. I finally got tired of having to go through them every six months because I would get them running and working right, my in-laws would ride them two or three times and park them in the garage until lo and behold! the gas went stale and could I come over and get the scooters working again. After two years of this pattern I just took them home with me and my wife daily rode them and would just haul them up to the in-laws when they wanted to go for a ride. I love and hate carbs for this reason; simple to work on but so sensitive to ethanol laced fuels. Would that I still had the scoots, I would look into a direct injection cylinder head mod.

rks
03-19-2015, 10:15 AM
I did all the maintenance and repair work on my in-laws scoots when I lived near them in Florida. I finally got tired of having to go through them every six months because I would get them running and working right, my in-laws would ride them two or three times and park them in the garage until lo and behold! the gas went stale and could I come over and get the scooters working again. After two years of this pattern I just took them home with me and my wife daily rode them and would just haul them up to the in-laws when they wanted to go for a ride. I love and hate carbs for this reason; simple to work on but so sensitive to ethanol laced fuels. Would that I still had the scoots, I would look into a direct injection cylinder head mod.

First let me answer the poll question.....I do all my own work, and feel that if someone can't, or won't, they don't need to own a Chinese scooter.....and might better buy one of the higher priced spreads.

I wanted to share my carb experience with you, big shank. My scoot just turned 3 years old, and I have never taken its carb off to clean it. It just hasn't needed it, starts well, idles well, powers up well, and delivers great mileage. In my area it is in hibenation for 5 months a year.

Here is the thing....I always use non ethanol gas, in fact I drive 13 miles to get it, even though there are probably a dozen gas stations closer...but none with non ethanol. I also add about a half an ounce of MMO at each fillup, (about a gallon).
Seafoam would probably work as well. Before storing for winter, I add some Stabil as insurance. It works for me...3 years, and 5800 miles, and 15 total months of non use, and I haven't had to touch it.......at least not yet.

kz1000st
03-19-2015, 11:24 AM
I'll second the Seafoam. I put it all my stuff before I lay them up for our very long Winter and they all start in the Spring.

Yes, I do my own work on everything except mounting tires. I use to do it, have all the stuff to do it but after watching them do in five minutes what used to take me an hour I let the pros do it now. I pull the wheels off, take them in with the cheap tires I got online and put the wheels back on.

kz1000st
03-19-2015, 11:27 AM
I'll second the Seafoam. I put it all my stuff before I lay them up for our very long Winter and they all start in the Spring.

Yes, I do my own work on everything except mounting tires. I use to do it, have all the stuff to do it but after watching them do in five minutes what used to take me an hour I let the pros do it now. I pull the wheels off, take them in with the cheap tires I got online and put the wheels back on.

I do all my own work, and feel that if someone can't, or won't, they don't need to own a Chinese scooter.....and might better buy one of the higher priced spreads.

Ditto this unless you have a shop or dealer nearby. Then a Bintelli, Wolf or Lance is perfect for you.

bandito2
03-19-2015, 02:43 PM
Same thing here. But I did have a shop press on some gears once upon a time with a hydraulic press since that is the sort of thing the average guy just doesn't have handy. And a long time ago I had some electrical work done... Otherwise it has been DIY for me.