PDA

View Full Version : 150 GY6 just stop running

Jaybird09
03-13-2013, 04:03 PM
So in the fall I crusin around and as I left my buddies driveway my 2009 GY6 roketa scooter just flat stopped running. I pushed her home and checked it out. I thought maybe it was a fuel problem, but the filter was fine and there was gas going to the carb. I went to check the spark and the wire that goes over the plug slightly come apart. I figure it must have stopped getting spark. I wanted to check more into it but it snowed that night so I put fuel treament in the tank and put her away for the winter. This weekend I would like to pull it out and get it running and jump on the scoot and buzz around again. But before I get to buy parts and stuff for it I want to see if anyone knows what the problem could be. I am being told to replace the CDI coil?? Could this be the problem? If so where do I find one? The local shop here wants $80 for just the parts. I have done valve adjustments and belt repairs and other repairs on this scoot so I am no stranger to taking it apart and working on it. Any one with some help or adice would be wonderful... :scoot::thanks:

scootnwinn
03-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Pictures? Sounds like the boot came off your spark plug lead you can screw it back on usually. No parts at all but you can send me the $80 if I'm right. You may want to replace the boot... Can you be more specific or show us exactly what you mean by the wire that goes over the plug...

Jaybird09
03-15-2013, 03:05 PM
I was messing with it today and the part that came out of the boot simply snapped right back in. The problem is that while I was cranking it I didn't see any spark when I had the plug in and touching it to the frame of the scoot. I don't think it is getting any spark. I don't know much about wires and spark or not. But I do know if you remove the plug and start it up while the plug it touching something metal (such as the frame) I don't see any spark trying to hit the frame. Not sure what else to do. I can pist pics. But I don't have a lot of pics on my computer of the scoot taken apart.

scootnwinn
03-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Those boots screw on usually. You need to check you have continuity all the way to the conductor in the boot. Ground it to the engine not the frame too... Check all that first

Jaybird09
03-15-2013, 05:04 PM
Ok so the end of the boot should unscrew and come off? Check all that and ground the plug to the frame and check for spark... if there is no spark then what? I follow the cable to a round (coil?) and it has to prongs with wires connected to it. They look alright to me, but I am not the best at judging electrical issues. From there I have not really followed where the wires head to. I am not sure what happen either. Last fall I fired it up like I have many many many times before, rolled down to the end of the driveway, waited for traffic and went to give it some throttle to go and it just died. I tried to fire it back up and nothing. I tried and tried again and still nothing. It was late evening on a sunday so I gave up and by the time I had some free time to tinker with it again it was cold and snowing so I stored it away in the shed for the winter. Still not sure what the deal is I have it out now and I am looking to start riding it ASAP (like tomorrow) and I have the seat and side panels off of it. I am just not sure why it wont start. Things I have looked up on the internet and read have all pointed to it not getting any spark. The plug is new and good. When I removed the plug come little piece came out of the boot with it. But it seemed to snap right back into place. I Dont know what to do hear. She has had a few issues before... broken belt, carb idling a little rough, bald tire and battery. All were pretty easy to fix and I was on the road that day. This has me totally stumped

Jaybird09
03-15-2013, 05:10 PM
The scooter is a 2009 Roketa Sicley 150cc.

DW
03-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Same happened to my '08 Roketa Fiji. it turned out to be the clips on the coil power wires were making intermittent contact. It would run fine then quit out of the blue. Soldered in some better spade clips and added heat shrink and haven't had that particular problem since.

Jaybird09
03-16-2013, 11:22 AM
I think I am going to have to try that, its easy and cheap and if It does not work then I guess I am back to square one and I will be back here posting the results and or asking for more advise. I looked at the two wires that are under the rubber plunger looking thing and they seem to look good, I will maybe take them off and see if I can find contact... I am not to good at all when it comes to electrical problems. I can do a whole new carb and valve adjustments without a single issue, but when it comes to electric issues I get stumped! Thanks for the advise and I getting dressed to go out and try it now and see if I cant get her running..

Jaybird09
03-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Ok so I took the wires off the prongs and got it all set up and it still dont have spark, I went to a local scooter shop and showed them the wire and coil and they said there was nothing wrong with it, I bought a CDI and plugged it in and put the plug it, tested for spark and still NOTHING... The CDI I bought was a used CDI off the same scoot like mine that was wreaked. They said it was tested and worked fine. I am not sure what the deal is and why I get no spark coming from the spark plug... I have checked the fuses to just make sure it was not a fuse of some sort. I ran a check on the wires to see if something was wrong with any of them or cut and I see nothing... some one please help

edfr
03-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Now that is funny, how did the shop test the COIL and determine it was good? Looking at it will not tell you if it is good or bad. Since you mentioned you checked for SPARK on the FRAME which by the way is NOT the way to Check for a NO SPARK condition.

You have to test for SPARK on the motor there are TWO GROUNDs one from the battery to the frame and one from the frame to the motor. The important one is the FRAME TO THE MOTOR if that is bad or broken or not connected you will NOT HAVE a SPARK. The best is to Connect the Ground wire to one of the BOLTS holding your valve cover that is always nice and clean.

So check the grounds TWO OF THEM.
Lefty

Jaybird09
03-21-2013, 03:04 PM
I checked all the grounds all looks well, I dont understand how they was able to tell me that the plug wire was good by looking at it either. I figure they must have know someting I dont. I think I am going to get a new boot and wire to the coil. Check for spark again and if this dont work then I am going to try to change the stator... thing is I have no idea how to do that. I am not even sure where that woul dbe located. I am having such issues with this and I posted it online for sale... every time someone wants to come look at it I tense up cuz I do not want to see it go. I love this thing and I have had it since it was new.Other then this problem the biggest issue was a belt that broke on me last summer, changed it and was scooting agian within a hour.

DW
03-28-2013, 02:16 AM
Put a test light on the two wires coming into the coil, if it flashes when you crank the engine then the coil or plug is bad. No flash means no power to the coil.

Jaybird09
03-30-2013, 01:44 PM
That was it, $17 dollars for a new one and she is running just fine again. Thanks y'all for all the info and help.