PDA

View Full Version : My brand new ride.

qwertydude
03-09-2013, 01:38 PM
Hey guys even though I am presently scooter-less. My current rides are a Sym Wolf Classic and now a brand new Honda NC700x.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/7636/12nc700xbeauty12.jpg

I've filled up one time since new so far. And it's looking really good I got 72 mpg! And it's still breaking in. This is truly an mpg machine built for efficiency. It pulls like a freight train and even on the freeway it only revs 3000 rpm or so. This is also good news because since the engine is based on a Honda Fit's engine, these lower RPM's will translate to pretty much not needing valve adjustments. Sure the interval says 8,000 mile valve checks but how many people do that to their Honda cars?

The "gas tank" is a trunk that fits a full face helmet so that's definitely one of the better features.

It's really funny that the reviews on US based sites lambaste this bike for not being a high strung high maintenance machine with a performance envelope of a superbike. But every other publication in Europe praises the bike for being the ultimate multipurpose full size motorcycle capable of commuting touring and having a little fun on the side.

But once you really ride it, the effortless acceleration from down low really make this bike something to experience. And then the MPG's the only full size motorcycle I've ridden on that could almost match this bike was a GS500F that I had to put a +3 front sprocket on and it still only got 65 mpg average, 70 if I was careful. And it didn't accelerate like this bike which is a rocket up to 70 mph or so, obviously with only 51 hp on tap it loses some steam past 70 mph but still great highway performance. And the pull it has seemingly just off idle at 2000 rpm is really something to experience.

I'm sure I'll be seeing even better than 72 mpg when the engine is broken in.

spandi
03-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Beautiful Machine, and It sounds like a great all around performer with a trainload of versatility. Who cares if it doesn't accelerate like a sport bike. What do you need with a 180 mph top end anyway? (American motorists are just a little too power crazy.) With gas prices headed north, you'll look good without even having to twist the throttle.

Admin
03-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Beautiful bike, love the 700x! Congrats on the new ride!

teddy554
03-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Love it, watched a video were it was matched against the bmw 600 some cc scooter a a cheap true motorcycle first time i have heard of it. Glad you are enjoying it looks real sharp

jct842
03-09-2013, 04:24 PM
sharp looking bike. That valve thing at 8k is just to keep honda on the offensive should you ever get the one out of a million that has a valve crash they will say since you did not check valves it is not our fault. john

scootnwinn
03-09-2013, 04:31 PM
I've been tempted by this bike its a beautiful machine. Congrats. Looks like you got the manual not the auto right? Will you still ride with us scooter punks?

Guest_3
03-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Very nice & Congrats. :)

Phillips
03-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Lovely looking bike, congratulations. I wanted to know more about it so have just read an article online about a guy who took it out into the desert for some off road fun. He seemed very impressed. Are you planning to do anything like that?

prodigit
03-09-2013, 09:34 PM
Looks like something I would want for myself.
There's something about the magical 500cc number for highway bikes;
It's just enough, not too much!
Especially with single cylinder.
A 250cc has to rev too high to maintain speeds of 70MPH.
I'm sure the 500cc bike can go faster, at least 80MPH, as my BMS TXB 260 was able to go 82-83MPH!

400-500cc is powerful enough, has great gas mileage too.

I wanna get rid of my Honda VT750... Not too happy with 55MPG.

inuyasha
03-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Hi
Outstanding
Congratulations
Sharp looking and very capable, I Iike her
May she bring you much joy in the years to come
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank

qwertydude
03-10-2013, 12:53 AM
I did get the manual transmission version which gets about 3 mpg more than the auto. I don't mind the shifting.

And for prodigit what is amazing is I used to own a VT750 Shadow Spirit. This bike has actually both more useable power and more torque than that bike has on top of being more fuel efficient. It truly is as revolutionary as they say. A lot of people think it can't be but I'd say the only improvement they might have been able to incorporate is gasoline direct injection. Theoretically that should be able to net them another 15% or so better fuel efficiency.

One thing I'm definitely looking forward to are longer road trips like a LA to Vegas run since I do make those on a regular basis in my car. Of course 110F in summer can be a bit bothersome so maybe a few spring time trips out there. I have my best friend who's a college professor there where I can crash at his place so Vegas is a regular stop for me. The 700x definitely makes for an excellent highway bike once properly kitted with a larger windshield and possibly leg wind deflectors. It may not have 150 horsepower or more but it's nearly completely vibration free at all highway speeds so it's good for long distance travel. I don't know what people are talking about who say it's not powerful enough. It can't go 200 mph sure but for all manner of legal and somewhat irresponsible freeway speeds it has no problem and enough passing power to shame all but the most powerful sports cars.

scootnwinn
03-10-2013, 12:57 AM
I would of gone manual too. Great bike dude glad you are happy if I was to buy another bike this would be on my short list...

bigggroovy
03-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Beautiful!!!!!!!! Take really good care of it and enjoy miles and miles of fun!!!!

justdon
03-10-2013, 10:54 PM
Thats an awesome looking bike.Enjoy it..It should give you years of fun..

wheelbender6
03-12-2013, 11:50 AM
From what I have read, the fuel economy is better than some 250cc street bikes. That was based not on EPA ratings, but road test mileage by the magazine.

Catbird
03-13-2013, 09:29 PM
Oh man, I really like that bike!

I've been lusting after the automatic trans version for the last 6 months or so, but they don't seem to exist in my neck of the woods (Fredericksburg, Virginia).

I hope you get a lot of pleasure riding yours, though.