PDA

View Full Version : Will a 50cc scooter be good for me?

Phillips
03-06-2013, 07:39 AM
I am looking to buy my first scooter and have my eye on a 50cc lovely. Being on a bit of a tight budget I don't want to make a mistake and buy something that it the wrong size model for me. Any tips for this newbie would be very welcome.

inuyasha
03-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Hi Phillip
Welcome aboard
Pleased to meet you
What types of roads and use will the scoot have to handle?
A stock 4 stroke 50 can reach speeds of 30 to 40 mph. a stock 2 stroke 50 can achieve speeds of 45 to 50+mph
I always recomend a 2 stroke if its a 50cc scoot you want to ride
I have a stock 2 stroke the Aprilia sr 50 and a 95 cc 4 stroke bbk project scoot
The aprilia is still a quicker and faster scoot in stock form then the 4 stroke scoot with all of the added performance parts and tuning
My top speed with the 2t aprilia 63 mph, the 4t redstreak bbk scoot 55mph
http://motorscooterguide.net/Articles/2StrokeOR4Stroke/2StrokeOR4Stroke.html (http://motorscooterguide.net/Articles/2StrokeOR4Stroke/2StrokeOR4Stroke.html)
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

scootnwinn
03-06-2013, 09:43 AM
What Hank said is great info. We really need to know more about what you are hoping to buy and what you daily ride might look like. Are you of average size? What do you want to carry? etc...

prodigit
03-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Hey,
It really depends on your needs.

People 300LBS or more, or when riding with passenger, you generally want something more.
If your trips are mainly in the city, with speed limits upto 35, or 40MPH, you're good. If you plan on riding a lot in suburban areas, with roads 35+MPH, you might want more.
The price difference between a 50cc and a 150cc is minimal (if they come from China).
However, in many states, for anything above a 49cc you need a motorcycle endorsement; classes cost ~$275+ for 2 days.
And if you don't need the endorsement in your state, you still might want to get one.

Aside from the scoot, make sure you set about $300 aside, for tag, and taxes.
Also, you could get a cheap helmet, gloves for ~$75 if you look around a bit.
If you really want to be cheap, the least you need is goggles, or sunglasses, but when you fall, sunglasses could make you blind. Motorcycle goggles supposedly less.
But, if you want to play it safe, get a motorcycle harness or leather vest, jeans or leather pants, cross gloves, goggles, boots and full sized helmet.

Those things can go anywhere from $150 to $3000 for a set. Just look around. Usually for a beginner who's not riding very fast, a $150 set is good enough!

Girlrider
03-07-2013, 03:21 AM
I had a friend buy a 50cc as a starter bike but he traded up pretty soon. Maybe living in a hilly place was the reason, haha. He spent as much time pushing as riding it. If you want to do anything more than ride around your local (flat) area I'd go for something bigger.

scootercapecod
03-07-2013, 06:38 PM
I'm in agreement with most everyone on here. If you've NEVER ridden on anything other than the lawn tractor, maybe a 50cc 2T would be appropriate for you. :D If you have some riding experience though I seriously recommend a 150 or better. Of course as mentioned you'll want to check the laws in your state or county. Some areas have a "local" way of handling scooter issues, Some will and some won't enforce scooter laws but to be safe, I'd at least make it legal. Riding gear is VERY important! One good lay down of your scooter will explain that so don't cheat yourself into thinking it won't happen. Of course though I hope it never does.

jimvip
03-07-2013, 06:48 PM
I am looking to buy my first scooter and have my eye on a 50cc lovely. Being on a bit of a tight budget I don't want to make a mistake and buy something that it the wrong size model for me. Any tips for this newbie would be very welcome.
i have a 49cc vip that has 70cc mod done and it goes 50 to 60 but with bigger frame i prob need better spark coil

prodigit
03-07-2013, 07:49 PM
A BBK mod could be illegal in some states.
In FL for instance, it would be illegal, if the rider does not have a motorcycle endorsement.
However if you do have an endorsement, a BBK on a 50cc (like a 72cc, 75cc, or 80cc) would be your best choice, or get a 150cc.

If the terrain is not hilly, a 150cc can get you anywhere @55MPH, tops out at ~60MPH; some do more, some slightly less...

I'm just wondering if the op still reads this thread? No response for a while...

scootnwinn
03-07-2013, 08:52 PM
op or no we will talk about it anyway... I enjoy the perspectives any way and its useful for people in similar situations... You do wonder who your helping occasionally though...

inuyasha
03-07-2013, 09:04 PM
A BBK mod could be illegal in some states.
In FL for instance, it would be illegal, if the rider does not have a motorcycle endorsement.
However if you do have an endorsement, a BBK on a 50cc (like a 72cc, 75cc, or 80cc) would be your best choice, or get a 150cc.

If the terrain is not hilly, a 150cc can get you anywhere @55MPH, tops out at ~60MPH; some do more, some slightly less...

I'm just wondering if the op still reads this thread? No response for a while...

Hi
A well tuned stock 2t 50 would would be as capable if not more so then the 4 t 50 with the bbk and performance parts
I know as i have both a stock 2t 50 and a 4t 95 cc bbk scoot
the 2t is quicker faster and has a higher top end
so start with the 2t and then if you want even more performance put on a bbk and have a scoot capable of 70 mph speeds
A while? it was only yesterday, not all of us check in every day, im sure he will be back in time
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank

Phillips
03-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Thanks to all for the detailed and useful replies. I don't get online very much, so my reply is a bit late, sorry. Considering what has been said I am going to reconsider the engine size issue. I was a bit swayed by the chance to buy from someone I kind of know, rather than thinking about what I will use it for.

I don't plan to take really long trips on a bike but the opportunity to do more once I have experience would be good. Same for carrying a passenger - would hate to meet a nice gal that I couldn't take out with me one day.

Taking on board the endorsement and clothing costs too I may just hold on a while and look out for something a bit bigger. Thanks again for all the feedback - I'm sure I will pop up somewhere else on this forum with more questions!

scootnwinn
03-07-2013, 09:23 PM
Wise decision however, if you have the money though and its cheap it may be worth a try. You won't see much devaluation when you sell it. I bought my 150 a year ago for $850 and sold it a year later for $800. You may or may not enjoy riding it may scare you. An inexpensive scooter as an experiment isn't necessarily a horrible idea... Just another perspective...

MEAN_MOTOFINO
03-08-2013, 01:06 AM
Get a Chinese 150cc.. you will love the TORQUE!!!!

50cc
03-08-2013, 02:14 AM
A four-stroke 50cc with 5 gram rollers keeps up with city traffic more than fine and will give you some outstanding mileage figures. And if you want some extra boost, you just put a BBK on it. I'd go for a 50cc and switch to 150cc in 2 years or so when I get more experience. Been riding 50cc's for years and I'm 86kg and also ride with my girl a lot in summer. Never had problems with the extra weight.

Rattled81
03-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Interesting to read everything on this thread because I'm considering a 50cc for my daughter, when we allow her to get one. She is slightly built and won't be going great distances, plus we live in a very flat area, so it sounds ideal as a starter.

millsc
03-14-2013, 09:51 AM
the 50cc stock can run about 35 + or - a few mph, but can be upgraded and modded to become quite speedy for a little bike, mine will do over 50 gps, but i put alot into it

prodigit
03-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Depends on what scoot. My TaoTao started out at 35MPH, but after engine break in, it goes nearly double (50MPH).
Ow, and I did the engine break in with synthetic oil BTW!

amac1680
03-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Depends on what scoot. My TaoTao started out at 35MPH, but after engine break in, it goes nearly double (50MPH).
Ow, and I did the engine break in with synthetic oil BTW!

Very cool. Always wondered why the no syn during break-in.
That's a quick scoot.

Be Big,
AMAC

prodigit
03-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Synthetic oils are 80+% dino oil anyway.
They're just more refined dino oil, with synthetic oil added, and additives.

Real synthetic oil you won't find for $5 per quart in autozone, They go for 3-4x the price.

back in the days oils where either dino oil, which was cheap, or synthetic, which was very expensive.

Nowadays, they mix em, and call them 'synthetic', because they're like 1/3rd really synthetic, and the other 2/3rds are dino and mixed dead cockroach shells.

So back in the days it made sense not to pour synthetic in a new engine, because it was so expensive, and the oil needed to be replaced after a few miles anyway.
Not because the oil itself was bad, but because of particles in the oil that could damage the engine (like metal flakes, and carbon).

Usually, the oil we get rid of in scooters, is still in excellent condition (less than 10% used).
However we got to get rid of it, because chinese engines are not very efficient with engine oil.
Cylinder tolerances are greater than big brands, and a lot more junk ends up in the oilpan.