PDA

View Full Version : WIll I fall if I get a front flat at 65kph (~40 mph)?

50cc
03-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Hi, so my 50cc goes 65kph max, but I have these two new tube type Kenda tires and I heard tube type tires are more dangerous to ride with, so I was wondering what will happen if I get a front flat while going 40mph in traffic?

Thanks in advance.

Ivan

MEAN_MOTOFINO
03-01-2013, 11:08 AM
I would SAY depends on how much weight is on the front. If its light and you dont panic (DONT slam on brakes) you could probably coast to a stop. But if its heavier or if you hit the brakes hard I could see the front end sliding out from under you :\

Either way I wouldnt think a new tire would blow out whether its tubless or not, I wish you the best of luck

scootnwinn
03-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Ya front flats are scary. Who knows what could happen. If the tire tubes are new and kept up not sure why you would have any additional issues over the tubed type..

50cc
03-01-2013, 12:59 PM
I heard tubeless have stronger walls and that's why they're safer.. And my new Kendas are the tube type. And yes, tubes inside are also brand new, Continental. I read one has to apply only the brakes on the good wheel..?

prodigit
03-01-2013, 02:03 PM
I personally think you'd not fall.
A flat usually never happens immediately. Unless you're riding on age old tires, where wires are falling out, and the tire thread has gone for months already, a leak usually deflates the tire slowly, and here's what you could expect:

The tire will deflate, your top speed will decrease, until your 50cc scoot can't get it past 25MPH, when you turn you feel like the scooter is wobbly, does not stay on a fixed line, and before you actually fall off, you will want to look at your scoot to see what's wrong, and notice the flat..
That being said, suppose you have no other way than to ride on the flat tire, on your way home; the more you ride on a flat, the more wobbly the ride in corners, even at straights you feel your bike going left to right, eventhough you hold the handlebars steady.
Your scoot will probably not surpass 20 or 25MPH, until the tire is completely blown, without air, and then you feel the hard road. At that point turning has to be done very slowly (like <5MPH), or you'll fall, and riding in a straight line, will make you wish you where home on the couch watching TV or something, because of the tires no longer absorbing the unevenness's of the road and your bike vibrating and rumbling, as if the bolts would fall out of you, when you'd have bolts keeping you together!

Even when hitting a large sharp object with the front tire, more than likely you will have seen it, but if you didn't you will definitely have heard it, and will have to come to a quick stop.
But in my lifetime I've never ever seen, or heard of any bicycle or scooter front tire, just simply exploding (like with the air out of it within a fraction of a second); never!

There is ALWAYS a sign, before that happens.
IMHO, the only way a scooter tire can blow, is AFTER you've had no thread on it no more, and the tire has naked wire sticking out of it (the wire holding the rubber together, and you're riding on the wire); OR you've pumped WAY too much air in the tire, and a tire 'blister' has shown.
A blister, is basically a bubble in the tire making your ride miserable, (by riding bumpy) until the bubble explodes. But you most certainly had a warning before it happens!

50cc
03-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Thanks everyone, thanks prodigit, I really feel much better now. I imagined it'd be like in the cartoons where the rider makes a 'salto mortale' kind of flip or something.. :wtf:

scootnwinn
03-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Prodigit is right 99% of the time I have been on a bike with tubes that suddenly popped. It was on an old bike 2 up at high speed I thank the Good Lord it was rear. It was interesting. Nothing is 100%

spandi
03-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Just remember to wear your safety gear. Helmet, gloves, riding jacket and boots. (shin/leg guards are also good.) Better plastic than skin. (much better)

50cc
03-02-2013, 02:57 AM
Just remember to wear your safety gear. Helmet, gloves, riding jacket and boots. (shin/leg guards are also good.) Better plastic than skin. (much better)
I have full winter gear, but summer is coming and I really don't want to ride with all of it in the heat - I usually ride only with my snickers, short pants and a t-shirt most of the time so I'm wondering if there are some kind of knee / elbow protectors - effective, easy to put on and small enough to fit in my top case? Would this be enough protection for a minor crash keeping in mind I have good gloves and a safe helmet too?

scootnwinn
03-02-2013, 08:27 AM
its better than nothing

http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/protective-gear

I know your in the UK but that will get you started