PDA

View Full Version : 50 to 150cc conversion

boonietonton
02-22-2013, 08:21 PM
I was wondering how hard is it to convert a 50cc scoot to a 150? The body of my scoot is one of those eagle version which was made for the 150 but had a 50 in it. I'm thinking since the body is made for the 150, it should be be easy to convert. Thanks.

scootin150
02-23-2013, 02:03 AM
My buddy MeanMotofino here on scootdawg did his 150 swap into a 50cc frame u can check his build out in the custom builds section! Lots of time and work but def. worth it in the long run! U could also PM him for more info on how he did his.

boonietonton
02-23-2013, 03:07 AM
Thanks!

scootercapecod
02-23-2013, 02:04 PM
As long as the motor mounts and shock mounts will fit AND you're swapping one GY6 clone out for the GY6 150 clone it should be relatively easy to do. Keep in mind you WILL need a bigger air filter, carb and intake manifold (which in some cases comes with the new motor). Question: Are the motor mounts top mounts or lower mounts (nearer the kickstand)?

MEAN_MOTOFINO
02-23-2013, 02:38 PM
If its a 50cc 2 Stroke it should be a simple swap as their mounts are usually on top. Now if its a gy6 50cc or most other 4 stroke then MOST LIKELY the mounts will be on the bottom and you will have to fab your own and more than likely have to move your shock mount back as well. Wiring is simple unless your new motor has an 11 or 12 pole stator which is a DC setup and requires rewiring for the different rectifier and cdi.

scootercapecod
02-24-2013, 11:11 AM
I failed to mention that BUT isn't the wiring harness a little different on a 2T vs. a 4T? I would think you'd have to replace the CDI and a few other things.

MEAN_MOTOFINO
02-24-2013, 11:16 AM
If you use the 2t wire harness I believe the main issue it that you will get spark every revolution but it will still run fine. I could be wrong as I have never personally done that conversion...

scootercapecod
02-26-2013, 07:38 AM
I would think the CDI as well as the wiring for the lights might be different too, only because it's a 2T to 4T. The bigger question is whether or not it's an AC or DC current CDI and lighting system.

8307c4
02-27-2013, 12:04 AM
Mhm, yeah...

I thought about all of that, went straight to the 150cc so that was a good choice.
But now, I was thinking the other day about 500cc's and someone told me, you're just going to get tired of that, too.
I thought about what she said, and I had to admit, she was probably right.

So, the next motorbike I buy has a 1.5 liter engine in it.
It's also going to have a brand name like Honda / Yamaha / Suzuki / Harley / Kawasaki / Buell / etc.

And it's going to cost me.
But I'm past caring.

No more power issues, no more engine swaps, no more constant rebuilds.
And no more Chinese garbage, done.