PDA

View Full Version : Gear that's saved you in an accident?

saferider1
02-03-2013, 10:57 AM
I'm doing research before upgrading my gear. I read a thread about All the Gear All the Time - ATGATT, and realized there are a lot of smart people on this forum! I started looking at gear online based on that thread, and there are so many choices. So, I thought I'd try to narrow it down by asking, in your own experience, what gear has saved you in an accident? Right now I'm in Colorado, but moving to Florida, so info on hot weather gear would be helpful.

inuyasha
02-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Hi
The choices are endless and so are opinions on what is the best
These buyers guides should help
http://www.motorcycle.com/rider-safety/motorcycle-beginner-buying-riding-gear-90974.html
http://www.motorcycle.com/buyers-guide/buyers-guide-to-motorcycle-gear-33365.html
http://www.bikebandit.com/community/guides/the-motorcycle-pants-buyers-guide
http://www.bikebandit.com/community/guides/the-motorcycle-boot-buyers-guide
http://mymotorcycleshop.com/buying-guide/how-to-buy-motorcycle-gloves/
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

saferider1
02-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Great articles. Thanks for putting me on the right track.

inuyasha
02-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Great articles. Thanks for putting me on the right track.
Hi
Your most welcome
I have a vast array of riding gear for different conditions moods and some specific to the motorbike im riding at the time
If im on my Indian i dont wear my aprilia gear as i do when riding April but gear better suited to the look of the bike
For me its ATGATT all the way
Yours Hank

MEAN_MOTOFINO
02-03-2013, 02:45 PM
My boots saved my toes from dragging around a corner. N00b mistake lol this was years ago

50cc
02-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Never had a major accident. Anyway, I always do wear a helmet and occasionally some bike pants with protectors, especially in winter.

skuttadawg
02-04-2013, 01:44 AM
Leather gloves , steel toe boots and a full face helmet . I had a wreck on a motorcycle doing 90 MPH and and my FF helmet got ate up instead of my face . Even a cheap helmet is better than nothing and cheaper than plastic surgery . Wear waterproof leather motorcycle gloves with a lil sleeve . www.cyclegear.com has lots of goodies as I try to stop by there once a month . They have lots of winter accessories too

saferider1
02-04-2013, 02:09 AM
Leather gloves , steel toe boots and a full face helmet . I had a wreck on a motorcycle doing 90 MPH and and my FF helmet got ate up instead of my face . Even a cheap helmet is better than nothing and cheaper than plastic surgery . Wear waterproof leather motorcycle gloves with a lil sleeve . www.cyclegear.com has lots of goodies as I try to stop by there once a month . They have lots of winter accessories too

Cool web site. Thanks. As far as leather gloves, what do you recommend for hot weather / summer riding? Any particular style or brand? I have Olympia Wind-tex leather gloves right now, but am wondering what to do when it gets hot...just keep using them and sweat a little?

I have Olympia I have a Scorpion Exo 400 FF helmet by the way. Always on my head when I'm on my bike.

MEAN_MOTOFINO
02-04-2013, 02:27 AM
Icon make some nice gloves with little ram-air ducts made into the fingers and ove the top of the hand... just a heads up. May be worth looking into ...

Edit:

Like These

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/903/13211/ITEM/Icon-Tarmac-3-Gloves.aspx

scootnwinn
02-04-2013, 10:56 AM
I rode once with out all my gear, I lost a nipple that day. My helmet made sure I was conscious to feel it. There is no single most important part it works as whole piece. It is never too hot to wear it if you pick it well...

erictheviking666
02-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Well it may not be safe, but you'll find when you get to Florida most people ride in shorts and sandals, especially in the summer time. Not saying it's right, but you'll pass out from heatstroke sitting on a bike stopped in traffic, on hot asphalt, in July in full leathers. It's just not always an option here unless you're on a long ride at continuous speeds without a lot of stopping. It's a chance you take some do, some don't but you can pass out from the heat sitting in traffic.

scootnwinn
02-04-2013, 10:10 PM
I live in New Mexico the heat is just as bad here. There is gear designed for the heat. Leather is not the only option anymore. The heat is an empty excuse.

inuyasha
02-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Well it may not be safe, but you'll find when you get to Florida most people ride in shorts and sandals, especially in the summer time. Not saying it's right, but you'll pass out from heatstroke sitting on a bike stopped in traffic, on hot asphalt, in July in full leathers. It's just not always an option here unless you're on a long ride at continuous speeds without a lot of stopping. It's a chance you take some do, some don't but you can pass out from the heat sitting in traffic.
Hi
Quote from rocky who lives and rides in florida
Originally Posted by rockynv http://www.scootdawg.net/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.scootdawg.net/showthread.php?p=509250#post509250)
Huh? I live in South Florida and ride year round. I am a daily commuter and ride regardless of the weather. A decently ventilated light colored helmet and light colored mesh armor are cooler in the Florida sun than riding in shorts and a t-shirt.

Minimum here is full faced modular helmet, light silver CE Level 3 armored jacket with back protection, riding boots and carbon fiber armored mesh gloves.

It is too hot here to ride without the gear to protect you from the direct sun.

I was a non-believer until SilvreKat kept after me to amend my ways and now I see the light and know that the right gear makes hot weather rides easier to take.

Your bare flesh making contact on a Florida road can sear to it and be left behind in even a minor crash.
Theres never a good excuse not to wear riding gear
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank

prodigit
02-04-2013, 10:41 PM
For me, 1st gear saved my life!
2nd was good also, but I wouldn't know what to do without a first gear!

Aside from that, a good set of goggles, to keep the creepers and pebbles out of the lookers, and be alert, slow on the throttle, and restrain from zigzagging in the crowd, which is a perfect recipe for disaster.

I'm really not a proponent for wearing gear on a motorcycle, but it's the good will of the people that try educating the hammerheads like us.
Life is too short. I can't blame you if you won't wear a leather jacket in FL, but a mesh vest with re-enforced elbow/chest/spinal protection is really the way to go.
There's not much protection against a 12tonner running over you, but against the most common thing amongst motorcycle accidents, road rash, there is a solution.

I just haven't found it yet for pants. Even Jeans are heavy; and there's not much light and cool for legs out there (unless you're into inventing re-enforced boxershorts or so).

inuyasha
02-04-2013, 11:26 PM
For me, 1st gear saved my life!
2nd was good also, but I wouldn't know what to do without a first gear!

Aside from that, a good set of goggles, to keep the creepers and pebbles out of the lookers, and be alert, slow on the throttle, and restrain from zigzagging in the crowd, which is a perfect recipe for disaster.

I'm really not a proponent for wearing gear on a motorcycle, but it's the good will of the people that try educating the hammerheads like us.
Life is too short. I can't blame you if you won't wear a leather jacket in FL, but a mesh vest with re-enforced elbow/chest/spinal protection is really the way to go.
There's not much protection against a 12tonner running over you, but against the most common thing amongst motorcycle accidents, road rash, there is a solution.

I just haven't found it yet for pants. Even Jeans are heavy; and there's not much light and cool for legs out there (unless you're into inventing re-enforced boxershorts or so).
Hi
Your not a hammerhead in my book my friend
I just want my friends and all people for that matter to be as safe as possible so as to minimize injury in the event of an accident
The gear may or may not save you but as the old saying goes "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank

spandi
02-05-2013, 12:31 AM
Either I leave the house looking like an Imperial Stormtrooper or I'm not leaving.

inuyasha
02-05-2013, 01:13 AM
Either I leave the house looking like an Imperial Stormtrooper or I'm not leaving.
Hi
Get this my friend and make that statement into a reality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8ANGKAlBZ4M
http://udreplicas.com/index.php?option=com_content&id=61 (http://udreplicas.com/index.php?option=com_content&id=61)
Take care and ride safely dearest friend
Yours Hank

prodigit
02-05-2013, 01:43 PM
I always thought they should make helmets out of those storm troopers/Darth Vader.. LOL.
Can you imagine riding around on a starwars racer modified motorcycle, with a helmet on like this?

LOL!!

I'm only worried about peripheral vision, which seems to be not so very big with these helmets...

jeepsteve92xj
02-05-2013, 02:55 PM
I got most of my gear from Leatherup.com, I went down in August on nearly dry roads, scooter skidded 20-ish feet, I skidded a bit less.
The truck behind me did not run me over, and he stopped to see if I was ok, which I was.
Bent the left mirror extender, rubbed a flat spot on the left brake lever, rubbed a little pain off the front fender and the lower left body work.
I was wearing a backpack on top of a jacket, gloves and helmet - the backpack probably kept me from touching the ground with my helmet.
I got only a wet azz, not to wet to keep me from making it to work on time.

My tires are good, but the spot is heavily trafficked by semi and dump trucks along with plenty of cages. There is a Peter-built shop right there. Some of every automotive chemical on that intersection and a bit of moisture.

prodigit
02-05-2013, 04:24 PM
makes you think twice before buying expensive scooters...

scootnwinn
02-05-2013, 04:41 PM

I like that. Me too

inuyasha
02-05-2013, 06:25 PM
I got most of my gear from Leatherup.com, I went down in August on nearly dry roads, scooter skidded 20-ish feet, I skidded a bit less.
The truck behind me did not run me over, and he stopped to see if I was ok, which I was.
Bent the left mirror extender, rubbed a flat spot on the left brake lever, rubbed a little pain off the front fender and the lower left body work.
I was wearing a backpack on top of a jacket, gloves and helmet - the backpack probably kept me from touching the ground with my helmet.
I got only a wet azz, not to wet to keep me from making it to work on time.

My tires are good, but the spot is heavily trafficked by semi and dump trucks along with plenty of cages. There is a Peter-built shop right there. Some of every automotive chemical on that intersection and a bit of moisture.
Hi
So very happy and relieved that you werent injured
Yours Hank

Irish
09-08-2015, 11:27 AM

I recently moved to Florida from N.H. & the thing that I worry most about is what is that heat doing to my air-cooled engine at those ridiculosly(sp?) long traffic lights! I have actually seen people riding with a full helmet , leather jacket , shorts & sneakers! :tdown::shrug: Irish:scoot::nuts: