PDA

View Full Version : I hate being so filthy rich...

carasdad
01-30-2013, 08:23 PM
I hate being so filthy rich...ok...in regards to my carb..cause my bank account is a joke..lol. As you know I put in that powerhouse iron kit from Autotech355 on Ebay. Old one that cylinder cracked on was a street kit...this a sport/race kit with porting big enough to fit my head through almost... Old one ran well on a #85 jet...this one was lean with it...#90 was lean with. It would only run ok until the auto enricher cut off..then it merely bogged and got hot. Today I put on a performance pipe and only bigger jet I had was a #100.. Probably more like 102..105 or bigger cause as everyone knows when you drill one out..it ends up slightly larger than the drill size. So my 1mm bit measured 1mm but as stated I'm sure the orifice is larger in the drilled jet.. To me it now seems rich..revs high on the stand..so much in fact that it almost whistles jet like at WOT. Take off is ok..sometimes a bit sluggish. Acceleration to WOT of only 35mph is slow and sounds as if it is breaking into a 4 cycle sound. When I get to WOT and drop to half throttle..speed stays the same...but it has a " tat tat tat tat tat " sound like a machine gun. Guessing that it is rich at that is unburned gas igniting in the expansion chamber? Bright side it is no longer lean and shutting off cause it's too hot once the enricher kicks off. Plug chop shows the porcelain as dark brown and the electrode as black. Never messed with raising or lowering the needle clip as I have always had success with a mere jet change. My question is...if I lower the needle..that will lean out my lower and midrange...but at WOT won't my main jet still be wide open once the throttle is fully twisted and the needle if fully out of the main jet opening?....leaving me too rich? Maybe go back to a #95 jet where it was lean and raise the needle?..:hmm:

terrilee
01-30-2013, 08:29 PM
your lucky im smart
when i 1st reading the heading of the new post,
i almost PM'ed ya and asked for a date
but as said , im smart i read the post

saved us both a lot of embarrassment :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

qwertydude
01-30-2013, 08:56 PM
It's always a balancing act when jetting. You need to experiment with needle heights too. If you're bogging too rich on the top end with one jet but acting lean while accelerating it means you need to lower a jet size on the main jet and raise the needle one clip higher.

But to me it sounds like you can't trust your drilled jet. Get a real 95 and 100 main jet and you'll probably be better off. Then after experimenting with each one see how it behaves at partial throttle.

Is this a stock size carb or an oversize? Because one thing is for sure going with an oversize carb can create a situation like you have, a very difficult to tune midrange. When going oversize carbs you end up with basically an on/off switch instead of a throttle.

carasdad
01-30-2013, 10:11 PM
It's always a balancing act when jetting. You need to experiment with needle heights too. If you're bogging too rich on the top end with one jet but acting lean while accelerating it means you need to lower a jet size on the main jet and raise the needle one clip higher.

But to me it sounds like you can't trust your drilled jet. Get a real 95 and 100 main jet and you'll probably be better off. Then after experimenting with each one see how it behaves at partial throttle.

Is this a stock size carb or an oversize? Because one thing is for sure going with an oversize carb can create a situation like you have, a very difficult to tune midrange. When going oversize carbs you end up with basically an on/off switch instead of a throttle.

Thanks....carb is stock 19mm standard Minarelli QJ type. never had a problem jetting those nit picky 2T's in my life...this one wants to challenge me. I have to agree..getting a 'real' #95 and #100 will take away some of the probs..for is the drilled #100 made with a 1mm drill..really 100?...no way of finding out...so new 'real' jets it is.:tup:
@terrilee....you may not want me...I am fat n ugly...ewww...you would need about 20 of these :cheers: before you would even talk to me.....

fugaziiv
01-30-2013, 10:29 PM
I'm on the new jet train as well. That takes a variable out of the equation and makes the issue easer to pinpoint.

Matt

carasdad
01-30-2013, 11:12 PM
I'm on the new jet train as well. That takes a variable out of the equation and makes the issue easer to pinpoint.

Matt

Matt...exactly my after thought..right after I posted this scenario... Just as 'Too many Cooks spoil the Broth"....in the Scoot world.."Too many variables spoil the diagnostics"....:tup:

spandi
01-30-2013, 11:45 PM
I installed Trump jets in my carb, now it's not only filthy rich but "fires" every time!

inuyasha
01-30-2013, 11:48 PM
I installed Trump jets in my carb, now it's not only filthy rich but "fires" every time!
Hi
:ugh::nuts:>D:yay:
I nearly busted a rib laughing at that one
Where do you come up with them LOL
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank

spandi
01-30-2013, 11:51 PM
Hi
:ugh::nuts:>D:yay:
I nearly busted a rib laughing at that one
Where do you come up with them LOL
Yours HankThank you Hank, apparently I'm batting 1000. (I did the same for your daughter on the other site too.):lmao:

inuyasha
01-30-2013, 11:52 PM
Hi Glenn
Fine tuning the air fuel mixture can be quite the hassle
Its part of the reason i choose "April" as her efi system makes life a whole lot easier
Im sure you will firgure it out in no time and have her "ship shape and bristol fashion"
Yours Hank

inuyasha
01-30-2013, 11:54 PM
Thank you Hank, apparently I'm batting 1000. (I did the same for your daughter on the other site too.):lmao:
Hi
Your most welcome and thank you for entertaining my little girl:tup:
Yours Hank

carasdad
01-30-2013, 11:57 PM

I once used Richard M. Nixon jets in a carb..of course they went in 'crooked'...but on the bright side when I passed another scooter..I never had to take a hand off the handlebars to wave..cause they automatically gave people the Peace sign anytime we saw somebody..

inuyasha
01-31-2013, 12:04 AM
I once used Richard M. Nixon jets in a carb..of course they went in 'crooked'...but on the bright side when I passed another scooter..I never had to take a hand off the handlebars to wave..cause they automatically gave people the Peace sign anytime we saw somebody..
Hi Glenn
:s:clap::yay::nuts:
Me thinks we are all getting a little crazy tonight
I Like it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrx2jq184
Yours Hank

scootnwinn
01-31-2013, 12:18 AM
It is certainly silly around here tonight. I must say the Trump jets get a +37.23007 and the Nixon (sorry Glenn) a +.006286 according to my calculations yes I found a torn up MENSA card

spandi
01-31-2013, 12:31 AM
Sorry (I know it's sick) but every time Stewie puts the gun in his mouth I crack up!

carasdad
01-31-2013, 12:40 AM
It is certainly silly around here tonight. I must say the Trump jets get a +37.23007 and the Nixon (sorry Glenn) a +.006286 according to my calculations yes I found a torn up MENSA card

Rob...if you found my torn up card..put it back together with Duct Tape...umm...err.. It holds up better and is more durable.. yeah that. Speaking of Duct Tape...here is something that is almost so true that it is funny. We certain "People of Pigment"..having lil to no body hair.. I could shave with a piece of Duct Tape...just "Stick n rip"...Done!!... In boot camp they made me shave with the other guys every morning...I said..."Sir..huh?...for what..shave what?"
I think I pretty much hold the record for pushups for punishment in any bootcamp. Or as they called it.."Mandatory on the spot training"..That's a stupid phrase for pushups..man I hope my old Company Commander is not a member here reading this..:ugh:

spandi
01-31-2013, 12:42 AM
It is certainly silly around here tonight. I must say the Trump jets get a +37.23007 and the Nixon (sorry Glenn) a +.006286 according to my calculations yes I found a torn up MENSA cardBut I couldn't have done it without Glenn's ingenious filthy rich analogy in the first place.:tup:

scootnwinn
01-31-2013, 12:42 AM
Glen I'm pretty sure you can say no now even if he is but I wouldn't want to be presumptious...

scootnwinn
01-31-2013, 12:43 AM
But I couldn't have done it without Glenn's ingenious filthy rich analogy in the first place.:tup:

That's the only reason he scored at all

richardthescooter1
01-31-2013, 03:21 PM
Good one Hank.