PDA

View Full Version : Toolkit addons - suggestions?

saferider1
01-29-2013, 02:04 AM
I know toolkits are good insurance. I already used my WD-40 to get out of a bind when my key wouldn't turn in the ignition after fueling up (by the way I have CorrosionX on order to fix that problem permanently!)

I need some help whittling down and beefing up my toolkit and spare parts on board my scooter. I have a 2012 Taotao ATM150-A 150cc. Here's what I've seen on scootdawg threads as possible addons to what I have already. Opinions on these items? Any other suggestions? Thanks for any advice.

Items I've read about and am considering adding:

impact driver
13" 1/2" drive breaker bar
strap wrench
wire crimping tool
electrical: 16 gauge wire, butt connectors, quick connects, etc.
feeler gauge
tire repair kit
bike pump
spare bulbs
spare fuel filter
extra vacuum line and gas line
spare regulator
spare CDI box
spare ignition coil
spare throttle cable
spare drive belt

Here's what I have in my under-seat compartment so far. It seems kinda heavy. Any ideas on whittling it down? As it is now, the compartment is full with what I have listed.

1) FIRST AID KIT
2) RAIN JACKET/PANTS
3) BUNGEE CORD NET
4) TOOLKIT & SPARE PARTS: Currently weight: 13 lbs
My tool bag is a kid's insulated 2-compartment lunch backpack (see photo)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Mechanix gloves
2 rags in ziplock bags
0.2 oz green loctite
0.2 oz blue loctite
1.25 oz white lithium grease
0.5 oz graphite oil
3 oz WD-40 spray
LED flash light
small ziplock bag of extra fasteners M6, M8, screws, etc.
roll of steel wire
zip ties
electrical tape
duct tape
teflon tape
utility knife
tire pressure gauges x2
needle nose pliers
gerber 'suspension' multi-tool
pliers
channel lock pliers
small vice grips
wire cutters
piece of coat hanger with hook-shaped end for grabbing wires
bit driver set with various phillips tips, 1/4" drive tip
phillips screwdrivers 4" x2
flathead screwdriver 6"
flathead screwdriver 3"
metric hex key set
hex key for Motobatt battery terminals
crescent/box wrenches: 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 17mm
adjustable wrenches: 10", 8", 5"
3/8" drive ratchet
5/8" spark plug socket
2" extension
3/8" drive hex bits: 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7mm, 8mm, 10mm
3/8" drive sockets: 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 17mm
1/4" drive ratchet
1" extension
2" extension
3" extension
5" extension
1/4" drive sockets: 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm
1/4" drive deep sockets: 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm
1/2" drive 21mm socket
(1/2" drive torque wrench at home + 25" breaker bar at home)
2 spare fuses
spare rubber dampers for trunk
spare NGK CR7HSA (4549) spark plug

medman1952
01-29-2013, 02:55 AM
I think you have enough, especially under the seat. Except I didn't see a spare belt. Some of that I would try and thin out under the seat, now in your garage/shop do you have a lift table?

wutzthedeal
01-29-2013, 04:47 AM
How far are you traveling every day? That seems like an awful lot to carry. You will see over time what you need but I can already see that you'll probably be dropping a lot of those sockets and some extensions, anything you have duplicates of (pliers, screwdrivers), etc. The idea is to focus on what could go wrong on the road and what you would need there. I personally would eliminate half of that load that you're carrying, unless you're going super-long distances from home.

teddy554
01-29-2013, 07:30 AM
what i carry and i ride every day all day is a 8mm 10mm socket with a a hand driver/extension and a small 1/4 drive ratchet, both screw drivers and a allen wrench set that folds out like a pocket knife, one pair of pliers and a spark plug socket with extra spark plug 10/12 mm open end wrench and a flash light that straps to my head . That will get me or help me with most problems anything bigger i will just park it and get a ride home. I wouldnt carry all that you will be a riding tool box but you for sure be able to handle anything that comes your way it all about your personal preference i guess and a leval of comfortability

saferider1
01-29-2013, 08:52 AM
a flash light that straps to my head

Brilliant! I'll definitely get one of those.

I didn't see a spare belt. Some of that I would try and thin out under the seat, now in your garage/shop do you have a lift table?

No lift table available. In fact, no garage. All work performed in the apt complex parking lot.

How far are you traveling every day?

Only traveling up to 20 miles per day. Perhaps 40 miles in a single day a couple of times per month.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I'm going to do some trimming. Obviously I'm not changing oil on the road, so I'll start separating out tools that I use only at home. And removing the redundant stuff.

scootnwinn
01-29-2013, 09:33 AM
I carry very few tools with me on my daily 40 round-trip commute. My tools stay home with my wife and my pick-up truck. She will come to my rescue anytime ;) On longer trips I take my Burgman the only thing I added to its stock tool kit is a flashlight and a 17mm wrench so I can remove the front wheel if I get a flat...

scootnwinn
01-29-2013, 09:35 AM
Oh there is an extra belt in both bikes and the 150 has the 8mm socket and ratchet needed to expose the belt in addition to my Leatherman and stock tool kit

Irish
01-12-2015, 04:14 PM
Don't forget a tow-behind trailer so that you can carry all of that crap. I've been riding since 1959/60 & that sounds like my shop! Irish

wheelbender6
01-12-2015, 05:55 PM
saferider1 - I think you could finish the Dakar Rally with all that stuff.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6d/Dakar_Rally.jpg