PDA

View Full Version : This scoot (EVO) or that one (PX)?

prodigit
01-29-2013, 01:18 AM
Just thinking about buying a new scoot... A cheapo...
I hope soon I'll have the $$$.

I'm in between 2 choices right now:
1- The SP 150cc Scooter Type EVO:
http://ifutureweb.com/superior/images/AX150SC-EVO-4.jpg

or the
2- The SP 150cc Scooter Type PX (powermax):
http://ifutureweb.com/superior/images/AX150SC-POWERMAX-8.jpg

Both are relatively new bikes. I like the EVO looks better, spes say it has 0.3HP more than the other bike, but the Powermax makes strong claims on the website (like being fast)....

Anyone got additional info? (like if the MPH/MPG rating is correct).?
Experience riding them?

I don't care about high quality products, just scooters that can entertain me for a few thousand miles...

MEAN_MOTOFINO
01-29-2013, 01:42 AM
The VIP should be a lighter fun scoot

scootnwinn
01-29-2013, 09:29 AM
I like the VIP better too get the red one it will mock the .3 HP claim of the other bike

RED=FAST

teddy554
01-29-2013, 10:02 AM
vip cause i like that body style had a 50cc like that style loved it but both look good where are you ordering from

lovemy2strokes
01-29-2013, 11:35 AM
The Evo has 13" wheels and the vip has 12s stock. Speaking from an owners point of view, I swapped my 12s for 13s after 2 12" rear rims bent. I dont do motocross just normal riding so Im assuming bad manufacturing on the 12" rims. I got the 13s from the local dealer for 85$ rear w/ tire and 95 w/ tire for the front.
Minute hp claim differences are usually bs, I had two of the same scooters (TT CY50 T3) and one title said 3.9 hp and the other said 3.5 hp. Honestly it felt exactly the same.

lovemy2strokes
01-29-2013, 11:37 AM
http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s560/lovemy2strokes/IMAG1009_zps9aac102c.jpg

Gotta look for the other one now.

gjohannsen
01-29-2013, 12:43 PM
As being new to the world of scooters. I purchased a evo150 in Burgundy. The first machine was junk. However the second machine is night and day different. My experince so far is that everything on the Evo for parts can be readly obtained from a variety of sources including the sponsors. and local vendors. I believe the evo has a advantage because it has numerous back up components. example headlamps, kickstarter.I ride my scooter everyday.......... I also do my own maintence on scooter!

prodigit
01-29-2013, 02:46 PM
Both scooters have plenty of repair material available online; they're chinese...

From the specs, the SP has 13 in tires, the EVO 12. But from the photo's it looks like the evo has the larger tires.

The EVO looks more luxurious.
I'd also like to know if the under seat storage space is about as large as the other. (I probably get a black or silver EVO, because I have a black/silver rear trunk that will fit the bike).

The VIP's exhaust seems like it will rust quickly, while the evo's aluminum.

The VIP does seem like it's a lighter bike, meaning faster acceleration, less wind resistance, probably more top end too; but those are things I'm less looking for (a 150 is plenty of fast enough for me).
What I care about is MPG, reliability, trunk space, and looks.
I guess they're pretty much the same on both...
Even price is the same!

I'm gathering more info on both bikes today.

lovemy2strokes
01-29-2013, 02:49 PM
I own a 2012 VIP 150, they definitely come stock with 12s and the evo comes with 13s since I bought the wheels for an evo on my vip.
The vip is very maneuverable and I got near 75 mpg when it was stock.

scootnwinn
01-29-2013, 02:58 PM
The EVO looks more luxurious.

This is interesting not sure I have seen that adjective used to describe a Chinese scooter ;)

inuyasha
01-29-2013, 03:14 PM
This is interesting not sure I have seen that adjective used to describe a Chinese scooter ;)
Hi Rob
My Puma Angel was quite luxurious for a chinese scoot
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6105/6363421833_00e01d1843_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67070952@N06/6363421833/)
Scooter Tag 017 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67070952@N06/6363421833/) by inuyasha50 (http://www.flickr.com/people/67070952@N06/), on Flickr
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6213/6363408967_2f4942f02d_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67070952@N06/6363408967/)
Puma Angel 031 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67070952@N06/6363408967/) by inuyasha50 (http://www.flickr.com/people/67070952@N06/), on Flickr
Puma Cycles make an A1 top notch scoot imho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_2_N6BW84Y
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank

inuyasha
01-29-2013, 03:20 PM
Just thinking about buying a new scoot... A cheapo...
I hope soon I'll have the $$$.

I'm in between 2 choices right now:
1- The SP 150cc Scooter Type EVO:
http://ifutureweb.com/superior/images/AX150SC-EVO-4.jpg

or the
2- The SP 150cc Scooter Type PX (powermax):
http://ifutureweb.com/superior/images/AX150SC-POWERMAX-8.jpg

Both are relatively new bikes. I like the EVO looks better, spes say it has 0.3HP more than the other bike, but the Powermax makes strong claims on the website (like being fast)....

Anyone got additional info? (like if the MPH/MPG rating is correct).?
Experience riding them?

I don't care about high quality products, just scooters that can entertain me for a few thousand miles...
Hi
I vote for the EVO based on looks alone, both should be quite close in terms of handling and performance so im going with the one i find more appealing to the eye
Either one you choose should serve you well
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank

prodigit
01-31-2013, 03:40 AM
Thanks for the opinions.
I've tried looking around.
It seems the EVO is a TaoTao EVO 150.
On their website they mention that the ATM50-A1 goes 30-35MPH, but I've been able to do 48 on those. And I've had 2,5k miles of worry free riding around, so I tend to be favorable to TaoTao.

Anyone knows where I can find more information about the VIP?
I've been looking around, but other than an occasional photo, there's not much real life experience out there.
I've seen the VIP scooters on south beach, and they all have rusted exhaust pipes, look old, and see a lot of them in the repair shops.

The EVO not only looks better, but seems to be bigger too.
I've heard stories of 150cc scooter frames torque-ing at high speeds, and I don't want to risk it with an unsafe bike. Though I like the fact that it comes in a 50cc size!
The TaoTao ATM50 at 45MPH probably torques a bit, but I believe the EVO150 looks bigger and stronger; so it might not be an issue.

Two things I would want to know:
1- Is it easy to replace the gears on these bikes, to rev them for higher gears (more topend, better MPG, less acceleration)?
2- Are the spark plugs and engine parts easily accessible? (like just screwing off a few bolts on the seat gives me access to the engine?)

I'm going to call TaoTao USA to verify some information on access to the engine tomorrow, and keep you guys updated about it.
On the ATM50, it's releasing 3 bolts, and the seat comes off, and you've got access to the engine.
On their CY50's that's not the case, and nearly all tupperware needs to be peeled off.

I'm leaning 75% for the EVO, 25% for the VIP so far. But perhaps there are still some arguments I've overlooked..?
One thing I'd like to know is how the VIP performs against the EVO, if it's really going to be that faster.
I've learned, that quite often chinese scooter speedometers have a 'secret message' in them.
They do over rate the speed somewhat, but when you see the red line at a certain speed (eg: 40MPH, you know the scooter can do ~40MPH on GPS, even if the speedometer shows 50MPH
Was the case with all 3 of my scooters!

Both EVO and VIP redline is at 50MPH though...

I'll quote superiorpowersports on the VIP:
This sporty 150cc scooter comes with larger 13" tires, ...., which means that not only does it ride smoother and handle better but can easily handle two passengers. A powerful rock solid GY6150cc motor is packed into the smaller frame (smallest in our 150cc class) to make this one of the fastest and sportiest scooters we have.
Large 13" tires, small frame, and quoted to be the fastest and sportiest scooter they carry.

What stood out on the EVO review, was:
high performance aluminum exhaust pipe, dual stage paint treatment, halogen bulbs, high quality polyurethane seat
Aluminum exhaust does not rust as easily,
Dual stage paint treatment, does that happen on a lot of scoots?
Halogen bulbs, and the seat looks nicer.

If the VIP scooter has exactly the same internals as the EVO, it will be faster due to it's larger tires, and acceleration perhaps the same due to it being lighter in weight.

prodigit
01-31-2013, 03:47 AM
The TaoTao EVO150 has seemingly better mirrors, but worse rims. Only 3 spoke 12" rims, compared to the VIP's 5 spoke 13" rims.

The EVO comes without rear trunk, which makes me believe it's already at it's lowest price, and they could not squeeze in the trunk anymore.

I'll look around for other scooters in the same price range (~$850 delivered at door), but so far no luck.

EDIT: Bah, they raised prices. Now it comes to $900.
I'm going to look elsewhere for a 150cc scooter.
You can't justify a 599 scooter and end up paying 900, + taxes, this is ridiculous!

prodigit
02-02-2013, 03:21 AM
Turns out all SP scooters on that site are TaoTao scooters.
So even the VIP is made by TaoTao, and is a Powermax 150 (PX150).

So now it's no longer a matter of brand, just of performance between the two.
I'll try to talk to a TaoTao dealer in Atlanta, as well as their main offices. See if I can get any info out of them...

saferider1
02-02-2013, 02:41 PM
I'll try to answer all the question that you had in this thread! I have an Evo that I just received last month.

1) Storage space under the seat is rather small, less than a cubic foot. Mine is full when I put in my tool kit, first aid kit, rain pants and rain jacket. Get a trunk! I got a Bestem (see below)
2) Acceleration is fast. I'm 250 lbs, and I can get off the line at a stop light faster than the cars around me. This blows away my Taotao ATM50-A1 Stealth 80cc (upgraded from 49cc).
3) MPG: I've only got about 200 km (125 mi) on the bike, but MPG running about 55-60 mpg with upgrades listed below.
4) So, far the reliability is excellent. Engine always starts even in cold weather. Purrs. Roars too if you want it too.
5) Doesn't come with a trunk, but you can mount a giant Bestem T-Box on the back like I did.
6) Killer looks. Streamlined and nice curves.
7) Don't know about gear replacement...
8) Engine and plugs accessible when the seat is removed. Easy to remove the seat. The air filter is mounted toward the front of the seat, but you can work around it. Under-seat compartment is at the back and lifts out with the seat.
9) Evo tire is a 130/60-13 low-profile performance type. Rims are 13".

My Evo was $930.91 (incl shipping, lift gate svce, residential delivery, everything out the door) from familygokarts.com (excellent customer service by the way).

I had Rolling Wrench in Denver do the PDI after I assembled most of the bike. The headlight assembly/cowling can be a bear to attach--two man job.

Videos of my Evo being assembled: https://www.youtube.com/user/activity10cc

Some have mentioned in this thread that they got crap Evos. You have to do the necessary upgrades, otherwise they can be lemon-like.

My upgrade list:

- Motobatt MBTZ10S (12V 8.6 Amp) 190CCA Factory Activated QuadFlex AGM Battery
- Bestem T-Box TBOX-2012-BLU Blue 20" X 10.5" X 16" Scooter trunk
- NGK Iridium spark plug
- Naraku CDI box
- fuel filter, Helix vacuum line and fuel line kit
- LED wiring from trunk to brake light harness
- red ignition coil
- magnetic drain plugs for gear oil/engine oil
- tire valve stem upgrade

Hope this helps!

saferider1
02-02-2013, 02:46 PM
I should tell you that this bike loves to cruise at 40-45 mph. I can get it up to 55 mph verified by GPS. And I weigh 250 lbs. Getting it up to 40 is a piece of cake, comparable or better than a car's acceleration.

prodigit
02-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Thank you so very much for this valuable information!
The website I got it from said the bike can go upto 65MPH, but I doubt it.
Then again, they also said the ATM50 could do 40+MPH, but out of the box it only did 35MPH.
With gapping the spark plug, I was able to achieve 45+MPH, and a small windshield, trunk removed, LED tail light I gained another 3 MPH, and now after 2k miles it tops out at 50MPH.
(Of course, pumping the tires to 35PSI also helped).

The LED tail light issue is connected to the stator. The ATM50 was very sensitive to voltage drain, resulting in the spark plug not getting enough spark voltage. Once I changed the rear tail light to a LED, and gapped the spark plug (reduced height by 1/3rd), it responded way better!

Where any of the upgrades necessary to make your bike function? Or did it work nice out of the box, and where the upgrades doing a noticeable improvement?
On my Tao ATM50 I have over 2k miles on the stock belt, and haven't had any issues with it yet.
I also found that the stock fuel lines seemed to work just fine.

Also, by how much is the speedo off? (like, when you say 55MPH, how much is that on the speedo?)
I'm only 170LBS, so I suppose I might go a little faster?

I suppose you're still breaking in the engine at 125mi, so it would not be unimaginable, if you'd gain another 5 MPH before hitting another 500miles.

saferider1
02-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Hey prodigit, you are most welcome for the info.

On my Evo, speedo is right on the dot, verified by GPS.

You asked whether any upgrades were necessary. Not really, they were all preventative maintenance to bring the quality of my Evo closer to the Japanese scooters. I replaced the parts that tend to fail and leave you stranded. Since Rolling Wrench went ahead and did the upgrades for me during the PDI, I didn't get to see the stock version running, but I'm sure it would have been just fine out of the box.

P.S. Stock vacuum/fuel hoses (and valve stems for that matter) on the Taotaos are prone to dry rot after a few months of use according to pros at Rolling Wrench in Denver, who see this problem all the time.

Thanks for the tips on LED tail light and spark plug gapping! I'll keep you posted on performance after I have my Evo broken in.

prodigit
02-02-2013, 11:12 PM
On my ATM, now almost 6 months old, I still run on basically everything stock.
No fuel leaks, no hose or belt problems yet, momentarily my horn stopped working, but when I accidentally hit the handlebars hard with my knee, at the horn button, it worked again, and ever since.

The scoot is also parked outside in the burning hot Florida sun, as well as in the pouring rain. So far the elements have just caused a decoloration of the plastics in the speedometer; and some rust on the exhaust (which stopped as soon as I treated it with Corrosion X); nothing else.

How's your rear drum brake doing?
On my ATM50, it squeeks a lot!

saferider1
02-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Wow! That is great news on how your ATM50 is holding up. Gives me hope! Yep, my ATM50-A1 is a squeaker too. Annoying, but the rear brakes work and that's the important thing. On my Evo, the front brakes make a little noise. No drum brake noise yet.

I'm relocating to Clearwater, FL in November, so I guess I'll get to experience the hot sun and rain you referred to!

prodigit
02-04-2013, 05:31 PM
I just came off the line with TaoTao, and seemingly the Powermax, and the EVO have exactly the same engine.
They thus perform the same.
The only difference is that the EVO is a little longer, a little heavier, a little higher wind resistance, resulting in no more than 4-5MPH difference.
Top speed is 60MPH easily, 65MPH with warmed up engine.
TaoTao recommends Premium fuel as well for better performance.

I think I'll be going for the EVO, as it's bigger, has more trunk space.
I'll add a rear trunk for extra storage.

Girlrider
03-27-2013, 09:14 AM
I already decided the EVO would get my vote, so I'm happy to see that you picked it in the end! :) I was swayed more by the look of it than anything else! (The red Puma someone posted a picture of earlier is very nice too.)

prodigit
03-27-2013, 12:19 PM
Just as a note, I already bought the EVO, but would I do it again?
Probably not!

The EVO is almost 100LBS heavier than the PX. It's a complex bike. Rides very comfy, but I fear if it ever breaks down. My belief is, no proof yet, that the PX (=powermax) would be easier to maintain than the EVO.
TaoTao USA basically lied to me when they told me maintenance was as easy as on the ATM50. The ATM 50 is a breeze, but the EVO (despite it's great looks), has too many wires, hoses, and things that could go wrong.

Not only that, but the storage space is disappointingly small.
it's smaller than the ATM50.
The gloves compartment is really, really small, gloves barely fit in it!
It barely fits a wallet filled with creditcards, or sunglasses!

So, would I recommend the EVO? Yes, for the price it's a great scoot!
Would I buy it again? No. I probably would buy the Powermax.