PDA

View Full Version : Scoot won't start

beo111
01-28-2013, 05:42 PM
Hello Dawgs. I haven't had a problem in a long time but I'm having one now! I was riding my Roketa 150cc scoot through the beginning of December here in Wisconsin. It started to get too cold for me to ride so I put the scoot in the garage. It's now at the end of January and the weather is a little better (40 degrees in the garage), so i tried to start the scoot last week and it wouldn't do anything. It won't even turn over, but there's just a single click sound when I press the start button. I made sure the battery was charged and it still just makes the click sound which is coming from the started solenoid? I assume this indicates that the solenoid is good? I try to kick start it but it doesn't do anything either. Not sure what this could be, being that I was riding it just last month. Usually when the scoot doesn't start after not driving it for a while it's always the pilot jet being clogged. But it would still turn over. This one really has me puzzled. Any suggestions?

richardthescooter1
01-28-2013, 06:06 PM
If you bridge the two big nuts on the starter solenoid and it starts, then its a bad solenoid, if you bridge or jump the two nuts and doesn't start it could be a weak battery or bad starter.

teddy554
01-28-2013, 06:28 PM
yeah would say its a bad battery but do the test the richardthescooter1 said to make sure then you can know for sure

beo111
01-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I went to the garage and tried it but nothing has changed. I assume that the two terminals on the solenoid are positive right? Not one positive and one negative?

beo111
01-28-2013, 06:52 PM
If I kick start the bike (even if the starter was bad) it should still start right?

scootnwinn
01-28-2013, 06:56 PM
Right use a heavy gauge wire to touch them both at the same time if nothing happens your battery may be bad. You can also try jumping it with your cage (ENGINE OFF) if that works its the battery. Try that and report

scootnwinn
01-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Yes kick should work matter what try jumping it, might be easier

beo111
01-28-2013, 07:01 PM
I did jump it with a heavy gauge wire, even took one of the wires off the terminal and put it on the other terminal. It just makes that single click sound when I hit the start button. I have digital volt meter on the bike and a multimeter and I'm getting the full 12+ volts. I checked the fuse near the battery and it's good also.

scootnwinn
01-28-2013, 07:03 PM
12 volts might be a bit low a good battery without a draw should read. 12.6 or so. Try jumping it with a car like I said

beo111
01-28-2013, 07:04 PM
Tried jumping the battery with my 12 volt charger pack (which I use for dead batteries on cars) also but it didn't do anything.

beo111
01-28-2013, 07:04 PM
Ok, I will try it with the car (engine off).

scootnwinn
01-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Also try touching starter side of the selonoid with positive jumper while the other side is grounded

beo111
01-28-2013, 07:25 PM
Ok, just came back from the garage and tried jumping it with my car and still nothing. I just saw your last message and will go back down to jump it from the starter side.

scootnwinn
01-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Kicking is next you may have a bad starter. It may just be stuck from disuse.

beo111
01-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Ok, back from the garage again and tried jumping from the starter side. Nothing happened once again. I tried kick starting it also and nothing. The dash lights up a little every time I try to kick start and the brake lights and blinkers work also. Yes it can be the starter, but doesn't explain the kick start. Sometimes I would use the kick start when I was still riding it just to make sure it still worked. I'm really puzzled by this one!

beo111
01-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Could it be a bad CDI since it won't even turn over? I can't check for spark if it won't even turn over right? I have an Iridium plug in there which I put in about 2 years ago.

scootnwinn
01-28-2013, 07:53 PM
It may not have any fuel in the bowl now it may take a lot of kicking. Check to see if voltage is getying to the starter check your spark while you're at we'll pray you find it. You checked all the fuses right?

scootnwinn
01-28-2013, 07:54 PM
You will need a helper to check for spark

scootnwinn
01-28-2013, 07:55 PM
Bad vdi wouldn't keep it from turning over

scootnwinn
01-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Did you check if there was fuel in the float bowl

Lefty
01-28-2013, 08:09 PM
Well I think your battery is toast doesn't matter if when standing still it reads 12V. As soon as you put a load on it if it is bad the Voltage will drop like a rock. So if you have a Volt Meter connect it to the battery and hit the start button and see the reading I bet it reads very low.

Also for the KICK START do you have the KILLSWITCH ON THE RUN position and the Sidestand up(just in case it has a killswitch as well).

Sitting that long without starting there probably isn't much gas in the Carb Bowl since it is a 150 you most likely have a 24mm Carb and it has a VENT TUBE bent down on the LEFT side of the CARB you can twist the hose up and pour at least 1 0z of fuel into it.

When you squeeze the brakes do the STOP LIGHTS COME ON?
Ususally if you push the start button and you hear clicking either the battery is weak or bad or the solenoid is bad. You can also try giving the Solenoid a whack as your pushing the start button sometimes the contact inside gets stuck and giving it a whack might free it.
Lefty

beo111
01-28-2013, 08:13 PM
No I haven't checked to see if there is fuel in the bowl. I can't see the fuel evaporating in a months time, but anything is possible I guess. I will have to check to see if there is voltage getting to the starter another time. It's late now so I'll come back to this another time. I will let you know what happens. Thanks!

beo111
01-28-2013, 08:18 PM
Hey Lefty, yes when I hit the start button the voltage does drop down to about 9 or 10 volts. But I had jumper cables on it from my car so it should've started I would think. And yes the brake lights do come on when I squeeze the brakes. I tried giving the solenoid a whack when I was attempting to start but that didn't make a difference. Even if there wasn't any fuel in the bowl it should still turn over.

Lefty
01-28-2013, 08:37 PM
OK, then lets check your starter with your car battery. Take the postive and connect it to the wire on the starter then touch the negative to ground and see if it spins the starter. Starter could be toast or stuck. Also give that sucker a whack(HEHE). Something is drawing a lot of juice and it just may be the starter.

Moister in the winter can cause so many gremlins on these chinese scoots.
Lefty

scootnwinn
01-28-2013, 08:43 PM
Also try touching starter side of the selonoid with positive jumper while the other side is grounded

He tried that lefty...

Did you see the first page?

scootnwinn
01-28-2013, 08:44 PM
We'll be here when you're ready beo

Lefty
01-28-2013, 08:51 PM
That was going from the Solenoid to the starter I want positive prove hook the pos from the car to the post on the starter then ground the neg. If It does not spin it BAD STARTER OR BAD CAR BATTERY, also I don't think he gave it a WHACK(HAHA).
Lefty

Lefty
01-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Richard he said his Brake lights come on and he hears clicking from the Solenoid so juice is getting to the Solenoid. But this last test hooking the pos to the pos post on the starter and grounding the other to the motor should tell if the starter is the problem.
Lefty

scootnwinn
01-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Brake lights worked switch should have been ok

Lefty that would make certain I suppose I am a believer in whacking the starter but it has to be done right and some are either too timid or too bold. You make a good point. I concede

Lefty
01-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Just because the brake lights work does not mean squat, if you hear clicking USUSALLY it is a bad SOLENOID not the other way around or it could be stuck or a bad battery.
Also even if the BRAKE LIGHTS come on does not mean the SOLENOID is getting juice, the WIRE from the BRAKE splits One line goes to the SOLENOID and one goes to the STOPLIGHTS. Just so you know in the future have to teach you young guys cause I am getting old(HAHA).
Lefty

beo111
01-28-2013, 09:13 PM
I did give it a whack Lefty!! I'm a Maintenance Mechanic so I know that contacts do get stuck in various types of equipment I work on. I work in a hospital and this happens with the ice/water machines where the contactor on the control board gets stuck and I just give it a little whack and it starts working.

Here is another thing, at least 1 out of 10 times I try to electric start the scoot I hear a whirring noise coming from down near the motor, like it's trying to move. Might be the starter making that noise. Most of the time it just makes the click sound from the solenoid.

Lefty
01-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Yea then I think its your starter Beo, but to prove positive HOOK the pos from you car connect it to the STARTER POST and touch the NEG TO THE MOTOR. That will prove one way or the other if its your starter. IT SHOULD SPIN if it is good or was stuck with good direct current going to it. If it just whines then it is TOAST.
Lefty

beo111
01-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Ok Lefty, I will try that tomorrow. If it is my starter, hopefully it's not too involved to change out.

Lefty
01-28-2013, 09:26 PM
It is very easy to change it out, just take the wire off the post and take two screws out and UP and out.
Lefty

scootnwinn
01-28-2013, 09:33 PM
You can teach humbly its more effective.

If the brake lights come on the brake switch is good that's all I said didn't say anything about the selonoid there. Read it again.

I will treat you with respect, I deserve the same. Your obnoxious boasting isn't helping anything. You know your stuff obviously but your reading comprehension and social skills could use a little work. No disrespect intended just a humble opinion take it or leave it. I will not argue with you anymore do try to be more respectful I may be younger than you but that doesn't give you a license to treat me like a punk.
We are all trying to help you seem to enjoy a little insulting with yours you should think about that. Have a nice evening Lefty

scootercapecod
01-28-2013, 09:55 PM
One thing people should remember is that reading something online doesn't have inflection and what can be seen as insulting may not be meant as such. I have however seen some condescending remarks from time to time BUT overall I think most people are respectful and it should stay that way. We are here to offer advice some of which is suspect at times or just a misdiagnosis. Others truly do know what they are talking about and I definitely use advice from experience or advice I know works. Can't we all just get along??

scootnwinn
01-28-2013, 10:01 PM
I really wish we could just get along

Lefty
01-29-2013, 12:50 AM
You can teach humbly its more effective.

If the brake lights come on the brake switch is good that's all I said didn't say anything about the selonoid there. Read it again.

I will treat you with respect, I deserve the same. Your obnoxious boasting isn't helping anything. You know your stuff obviously but your reading comprehension and social skills could use a little work. No disrespect intended just a humble opinion take it or leave it. I will not argue with you anymore do try to be more respectful I may be younger than you but that doesn't give you a license to treat me like a punk.
We are all trying to help you seem to enjoy a little insulting with yours you should think about that. Have a nice evening Lefty

No arguement here, but it was and is obvious you did not know how the system works so I explained it to you. But instead of taking it as a learning curve you like many others cannot take being told anything or god forbid corrected. Now you could of responded OH SHIT I DIDN'T know that or something to that effect, but Instead you showed your true self to everyone and your immaturity.
Lefty
Those who do not know, do not know that they do not know

scootnwinn
01-29-2013, 07:43 AM
Whatever dude I'm glad everyone else can read. I bumbled about these things for a living at one point I understand the simple brake lockout starter circuit. Good luck to you none of this helps th OP does it Lefty?

richardthescooter1
01-29-2013, 10:02 AM
beo111, Let us know what it is, that is very important info to pass on.

Lefty
01-29-2013, 03:17 PM
If I know, the way I look at it, is explaining how things work to a person with a problem or even others that are responding helps everyone. If they did not know now they know and can in the future help others with that knowledge.

If the explanation actually corrected someones bogus suggestion or advice may cause bad feelings instead of taking the information given and storing it in his or her brain for future use that is find with me. It is better to set things straight IF you know and not have the person with a problem sent in the wrong direction looking for the problem.

A very good example I see a lot of is "PUT IN A BIGGER JET" when nothing was changed on the scoot and it was running fine for hundreds and or thousands of miles before it started acting up. That is wrong advice and or suggestion plain and simple.

That is just one story in the big city so be carefull out there.

For those that know me I do not mean to offend anyone I may at times be blunt and to the point but that comes with age so they say, so don't take it personnal. I do not dilly dally or beat around the bush or throw kissies just to have someone like me.

There is a saying that goes like this which is so true:
If you do not have an enemy your doing something wrong.
Lefty

beo111
01-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Hello all! Well after work I couldn't wait to start troubleshooting the starting problems, so after a while i figured out what the problem was. It's the starter that's no good! I got 12 volts going to the starter off the solenoid so I removed the starter and put it on 12 volts and it still didn't work. Last night I was watching some scoot videos on youtube and a guy was showing how the starters can get contaminated with oil and stop working. So I took the starter apart and it was full of oil! I took a picture of it and have it below. I have a new one on order and should arrive Friday. Can't wait to get back on the road. Thanks to all who helped me troubleshoot this because I was puzzled!

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/Beo111/Starter2_zps304e0580.jpg

scootnwinn
01-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Bummer but I'm glad you found it. Friday is not that far away.

Lefty
01-29-2013, 08:41 PM
Fantastic Beo, great news and as you found out it was easy to take out. Hope your riding soon.
Lefty

richardthescooter1
01-30-2013, 06:05 PM
Great news beo, glad you found the problem and thanks for sharing that pic with us, Just a suggestion when working on scoot, I always mark on my calender, what I did or what part I put on and what the milliage was. (keep good records so you can track what you did).

peterscooter
01-31-2013, 01:11 AM
this is all a great read and finally a solution.. but the can of worms is now opened...

I don't know anything, but how is your starter all filled with oil unless you already have some type of serious oil leak that should be addressed as it could/will be a fatal problem eventually?

poudeman
02-01-2013, 12:10 AM
No arguement here, but it was and is obvious you did not know how the system works so I explained it to you. But instead of taking it as a learning curve you like many others cannot take being told anything or god forbid corrected. Now you could of responded OH SHIT I DIDN'T know that or something to that effect, but Instead you showed your true self to everyone and your immaturity.
Lefty
Those who do not know, do not know that they do not know

You and scootwin keep this up i might call mtv and try to get a reality tv show going eh?

Lefty
02-01-2013, 12:41 AM
Your a day late and a scoot short(HAHA), just a bump in the road as they say. It was nothing really, run into this sort of thing all the time some really get nasty using all kinds of dirty words. So your out of luck no BIRD DOG FEE.

The seal on the Starter is shot that is why it filled up with oil.
Lefty

beo111
02-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Well I put the new starter in last Saturday and it fired up like a champ. I love it when a plan comes together! Yes, I saw in the youtube video that the seal on the starter wears down and over time oil gets into it. This must have been happening for a while because sometimes it would take a few cranks to get it started, then it stopped cranking totally. When I fired up the bike with the new starter in it, I couldn't believe it. It started so fast, something I've never seen before. Unfortunately there's snow outside so I can't ride it now, but as soon as I have the opportunity I'll have it on the road. Thanks for all the help guys!

leonardd
03-11-2013, 10:16 PM
I am new to this site, so I am sorry to interupt your thread. I Don't know how to start a new one.
I have a 2008 Jonway 250. It was running fine then I shut it off now it turns over slowly at best. The engine turns over fine with a wrench. Does anyone have a clue? I will try to figure out how to start my own thread with more details.

scootnwinn
03-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Sounds like a dead battery did you try charging it...?

peterscooter
03-23-2013, 01:51 AM
Sounds like a dead battery did you try charging it...?

lol.. here we go again