PDA

View Full Version : wanting to buy this scoot any idea what it is?

conorclarke201
01-26-2013, 06:56 AM
So im thinking about picking up this scoot and more or less tinkering around and learning more then i already know i have a few mechanic friends one of which is one of the literal 2 moped/scooter mechanics on this side of the island so i know i can get help with fixing it im just curious if any of you have any idea what kinda moped it is and or if this might be a bad idea or a good idea i contacted the seller and have yet to receive a e mail back but its only been a few hours so ya lol what you all think Aloha Conor

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/mcy/3565219922.html

50cc
01-26-2013, 07:14 AM
I bet on QMJ/QMI157

terrilee
01-26-2013, 08:36 AM
conner
its just a generic Gy-6 150
if you can find the EPA tag, it will tell you
what, who &when it was manufactured

tvnacman
01-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Conner , If you buy it I can help you get it going . Remember it can be tricky . Are you able to do an engine rebuild if it needs it ?

I would imagine that its hard to move a scooter not running in your area . See if they are willing to negociate .

John

terrilee
01-26-2013, 09:56 AM
i guess one of the bitc7es about living in paradise is
scooter help is 1000's of miles away
sorry

conorclarke201
01-26-2013, 03:33 PM
I have the time to work on it my know how is lacking but that's kinda why I wana get it I have friends around here that could help me get it started ( 1 car mechanic 1 moped mechanic and 1 chopper mechanic ) so I can get help easily enough for any issue I might find I honestly want a 150cc or. Nice 2t so I'm hoping I can get it running and sell it for double or keep it idk but ya lol just looks like a nice hobbie scoot

scootnwinn
01-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Sounds like you are going in with your eyes wide open and there is a wealth of knowledge on here to help you make him an offer. It can be tricky like he says but sometimes its a simple carb clean fuel system flush, and a fresh battery and in one afternoon you are scootin in style. TVNACMAN speeks truth when he say sometimes it can be quite tricky. It sounds like it was running when it was parked and it looks ok from the pics.

Lola Rides
02-10-2013, 12:52 PM
It's not a Vespa. That's all I can tell. Lol.

scootercapecod
02-16-2013, 04:24 PM
Yes, it's your standard GY6 clone 150cc chinese scooter. Most makes and models are interchangeable with parts, engines, and accessories. The good thing is that nowadays there's plenty of dealers both online as well as brick and mortar shops to buy from. The other good news is that more of them are out on the roads and when someone junks one, there's extra parts!

8307c4
02-27-2013, 12:20 AM
First things first.

Hawaii defines a motor scooter (http://www.dmv.org/how-to-guides/scooters.php) as a two-wheel vehicle with an engine under five horsepower. Thus, if it has a four-stroke engine it automatically falls into the scooter class. Of course, some scooters have more horsepower and still carry many scooter features. Hawaii puts these vehicles in the motorcycle category.
Thus, if you mod your Vespa too much, you might end up in a different category of vehicle. Not that this matters much. In Hawaii a motor scooter must go through the same registration process as a motorcycle (http://www.dmv.org/hi-hawaii/motorcycle-registration.php).
Also, the laws for scooters and motorcycles are essentially the same. This means to ride a scooter in Hawaii you must obtain a motorcycle-class license (http://www.dmv.org/hi-hawaii/motorcycle-manual.php), wear a helmet, and have the proper insurance.

Perhaps that explains why the ad states...
'we were riding it and just stopped using it, we don't need it and it just sits around.'

Many people automatically think you don't need a license for a scooter, in most states this is not true.
And they go out and get one and one day they DO get pulled over, that's when the surprise starts.
Even if you THINK you can pretend it's only a 50cc, the cops WILL pull you over and one look at the VIN tag...
At least once in the next year, trust me, I know.

You HAVE to have everything proper and legal or they'll tell you to take it off the road.