PDA

View Full Version : Sodium filled valves???

50scoot
01-26-2013, 12:40 AM
I know this is a weird question but does anyone know if these are sodium filled valves on the 50cc gy6 engine? I'm asking because I have a little something that i was wanting to do to the valves...an experiment lol

millsc
01-26-2013, 12:43 AM
i've took several heads apart valves and all seems like just spring and bolts :hmm:

prodigit
01-26-2013, 01:53 AM
Sodium = salt... At least to me...

qwertydude
01-26-2013, 02:01 AM
Sodium valves on a GY6? Not on your life. That's some rather expensive technology to be using on the worlds cheapest engines. Not to mention completely unnecessary. The GY6 doesn't run nearly the EGT's of high compression/high performance engines to necessitate needing sodium filled valves which are used mainly as a way to help cool hot exhaust valves.

50scoot
01-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Ok, I've seen sodium filled valves on some lower end cars before, some chevy's for instance. I didn't think these engines would have them but you can't be to careful with sodium, its nasty stuff. I know Porsche has used them on certain models because of the air cooling the heads tend to run hotter and the valves are used to shed some of the heat away. I just didn't want them to explode on the machinist or anything lol