PDA

View Full Version : Help Scooter Starting Issues

nsr0605
01-25-2013, 12:15 AM
Hello and thank you for the help. A few days ago I ran my scooter after 7 months of sitting outside. I meant to empty the entire fuel line, but I only emptied what was in the tubes leading to the fuel filter and not what was already in the canister. Anyway, I filled the scooter with 91 fuel and added two capfuls of fuel treatment. It eventually ran after quite a few kicks and about 10 ten-second sputters. It ran beautifully for a few blocks. I then went to the gas station turned off my scooter and topped it off with gas. It started with no problems and i drove another block back home, turned off the scooter was not able to get it started again.

After several attempts I noticed fuel leaking from the air filter area (just beneath it). I tried an electric start still no go.

After several more tries of trying to get the scooter running (and taking breaks in between to let the flooded engine drain), I removed the spark plug to see if the engine was flooded. As I kicked all the excess gas came out. I also removed the air filter and dried the inside as best i could.

when looking at the spark plug (which is about a year old) I did notice gas and what looked like oil on it. After wiping it down, I sprayed a small dab of starter fluid in the cylinder and air intake, re-installed the same spark plug and it still would not start.

I hope this makes sense, I'd like to hear anyone's input or experience with this type of problem or how I can get my scooter started again!

Some background info:
The Scoot is a Yumbo 2003 RoadPower and has a 125cc 4-stroke engine with 1,500 miles on it. Petcock, fuel filter, spark plug replaced about a year ago. The scooter also has always had a recharging problem. I think its the stator .

scootnwinn
01-25-2013, 12:26 AM
Sounds like your float needle is stuck open. Time for a carb clean...

scootercapecod
01-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Do a full carb clean seeing as it SAT for 7 months. I hope you also checked and changed the oil, gearbox oil, brake fluids etc.... Don't take shortcuts now, because it'll only lead to headaches later.

scootercapecod
01-25-2013, 11:01 AM
OOOPS!!!! Also forgot to mention that you may want to order a new plug too.

momule
01-25-2013, 02:02 PM
Do what I did two years ago: narrow the problem down to a gummed up carb, wait til riding season is over cursing your decision to buy a Chinese scooter while others drive past on their Japanese and Taiwanese scoots, tear the carb out, realize that your rebuild kit is for a different carb, push it all to the back of the garage, and go buy a Burgman or whatever suits your tastes.

Ride your new scoot all the time and vow around New Years that before spring you will get the Chinese scooter running so you can sell it to buy new farkles for your new scoot.

It is not easy being me.....

jrryan
01-25-2013, 03:18 PM
Do what I did two years ago: narrow the problem down to a gummed up carb, wait til riding season is over cursing your decision to buy a Chinese scooter while others drive past on their Japanese and Taiwanese scoots, tear the carb out, realize that your rebuild kit is for a different carb, push it all to the back of the garage, and go buy a Burgman or whatever suits your tastes.

Ride your new scoot all the time and vow around New Years that before spring you will get the Chinese scooter running so you can sell it to buy new farkles for your new scoot.

It is not easy being me.....

Probably not any fun either! http://www.scootdawg.net/images/icons/newemoticon_lmao.gif

scootercapecod
01-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Really? Just order a new carb and maybe a jet kit for it (if you care to get a little more out of it) Make sure you order right and a standard CVK carb 24mm will run you $50 off of www.partsforscooters.com