PDA

View Full Version : Full Throttle Dillemmmma

lykos23
01-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Blah, blah, blah, I can use all of my poor descriptive skills to tell you guys what's going on, but my best bet is to show you this short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op_d5sGX46U&feature=youtu.be

Any ideas? Or is this just normal?

inuyasha
01-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Hi Garit
No thats not normal, scroll down to trouble shooting at this site for possible causes and fixes
http://scooter.wikia.com/wiki/Tuning_a_carburetor
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank

lykos23
01-24-2013, 03:47 PM
Hi Garit
No thats not normal, scroll down to trouble shooting at this site for possible causes and fixes
http://scooter.wikia.com/wiki/Tuning_a_carburetor
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank

Thanks, Hank. One problem...

I seem to have a copper/brass looking plug where it says my A/F screw should be. Can this be removed?

EDIT: A bit blurry, but here it is!
http://i49.tinypic.com/1oa1.jpg

millsc
01-24-2013, 03:51 PM
you can take a drill bit and remove the plate there may not be an adjuster underneath if there is great, but usually there isn't you may have to get a new carb.

lykos23
01-24-2013, 03:56 PM
you can take a drill bit and remove the plate there may not be an adjuster underneath if there is great, but usually there isn't you may have to get a new carb.

Thanks for the info, but... That sucks, SO much.

millsc
01-24-2013, 03:58 PM
you probably need to upjet takes more fuel in the winter for your scoot run correctly, if the a/f screw is blocked most likely there's no screws in float bowl either, hate be the bearer of bad news

lykos23
01-24-2013, 04:29 PM
you probably need to upjet takes more fuel in the winter for your scoot run correctly, if the a/f screw is blocked most likely there's no screws in float bowl either, hate be the bearer of bad news

Still, I highly appreciate the valuable information. Thanks, Millsc.

millsc
01-24-2013, 04:33 PM
sell your carb on craigslist for 10 bucks or so and get a new one for 24 bucks off ebay, i actually got 20 for my original carb and paid 4 bucks for a new adjustable one after sale

qwertydude
01-24-2013, 07:18 PM
Carb needs a rejet, if you're going full throttle and losing power the high speed jet is too lean. Happens a lot with factory lean EPA tuning. This is not a problem that can be solved by turning the idle mixture screw as that mostly affects idles up to 1/8 throttle.

Another possible cause is one of the intake restrictors was removed. Either the four hole or the internal snorkel could be missing. To see if it needs a rejet you can try the duct tape method. Cover 1/4 of the air intake hole with some duct tape then try revving again, if it gets a little better try covering another 1/4 to 1/8. What this does is restrict the air intake so that it'll balance out with the limited fuel the carb is supplying.

If the above procedure works then you have no choice but to rejet the carb. If the carb is a sealed unit you need to buy a new carb.

lykos23
01-24-2013, 11:00 PM
Carb needs a rejet, if you're going full throttle and losing power the high speed jet is too lean. Happens a lot with factory lean EPA tuning. This is not a problem that can be solved by turning the idle mixture screw as that mostly affects idles up to 1/8 throttle.

Another possible cause is one of the intake restrictors was removed. Either the four hole or the internal snorkel could be missing. To see if it needs a rejet you can try the duct tape method. Cover 1/4 of the air intake hole with some duct tape then try revving again, if it gets a little better try covering another 1/4 to 1/8. What this does is restrict the air intake so that it'll balance out with the limited fuel the carb is supplying.

If the above procedure works then you have no choice but to rejet the carb. If the carb is a sealed unit you need to buy a new carb.
Thanks, Quertydude. I'll be trying and checking this first thing tomorrow and I'll be back here to post my results.

As this is my only vehicle, would it be harmful to continue driving it with this problem until I get a new carb?

Lefty
01-24-2013, 11:16 PM
Yes, it is bogging to much air not enough fuel at wide open throttle. For now cover some of the Air Filter to restrict some of the air coming in that will help Until you either get a new carb or drill out the plugged Fuel Ratio screw and get at the screw. Now the question is, will there be a screw there and will it HAVE a slot for a screwdriver.

On some late models the screw they put in DOES NOT have a slot but it is a screw. If you can use a reverse drill bit small one 1/16 and unscrew it with a drill in reverse. Then you can may a slit on top of the screw so you can use a screwdriver on it.
Lefty

millsc
01-25-2013, 12:21 AM
get you a new adjustable carb and a 82 jet it may be slightly rich in the summer but would be good for all seasons if you kept it stock

millsc
01-25-2013, 12:28 AM
or get a new carb and jets 75- 85 and plug chop, but you don't seem like the type to want to do alot of hassle and carb jet changes as why i suggest the 82 better to be rich than lean

Lefty
01-25-2013, 12:47 AM
If it was running fine before the temperature dropped on him the jets are fine all he needs is to richen it up with the Fuel Ratio Mixture. Trust me I do this every winter to my ride I have to richen it up, and when it gets hot I have to Lean it out. Now if it was an EFI it would adjust the mixture automatically. But they are simple carbs and we have to manually change the mixture when extreme weather conditions occur.
Lefty

lykos23
01-25-2013, 10:19 AM
Here's today's update:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWcwDCz7HX8&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll be getting a new carb and the jets you reccomend soon, but until then my problem seems to be temporarily ghetto-rectified.

millsc
01-25-2013, 10:30 AM
is the restrictor out of the airbox the one on the inside?

lykos23
01-25-2013, 10:38 AM
is the restrictor out of the airbox the one on the inside?

I actually have no idea. The Air Box is held on with a huge zip tie which I can't replace so I haven't been brave enough to open it up as of yet.

millsc
01-25-2013, 10:54 AM
you may be better off doing away with the airbox since its damaged and put on a open air filter and upjetting the new carb

lykos23
01-25-2013, 11:04 AM
you may be better off doing away with the airbox since its damaged and put on a open air filter and upjetting the new carb

That's probably my best bet. What sort of jet would you recommend for an open filter? I actually have a 35mm air filter on my Zook, would that fit a new carb do you think, or do I need to buy a new filter?

millsc
01-25-2013, 11:08 AM
you'll need a 38mm filter and an 80-85 jet it varies you'd have to check the plug start with 85 and work down, like i said before running rich won't hurt anything unless your way off

savy09
01-25-2013, 11:10 AM
lykos23,
you need to do a plug chop after warm up, seems your running too rich( did you adjust for weather?), I adjust my carb at the throttle screw 1/4 turns wait for engine to adjust till I find the sweet spot, rear wheel should just about to turn. If it still bogging down, then go for a new carb, and a new plug, there cheap enough at any of the online stores here.

lykos23
01-25-2013, 11:27 AM
lykos23,
you need to do a plug chop after warm up, seems your running too rich( did you adjust for weather?), I adjust my carb at the throttle screw 1/4 turns wait for engine to adjust till I find the sweet spot, rear wheel should just about to turn. If it still bogging down, then go for a new carb, and a new plug, there cheap enough at any of the online stores here.

I just bought this plug this month, so is it really necessary? It's an NGK uhhh CR7HSA? I believe... And currently the idle is the only adjustable thing on my carb so more than likely I will be getting a new carb next week, along with a new filter... new jets... and something else will probably come up that I apparently need, haha.

Thanks for the input!

millsc
01-25-2013, 11:35 AM
i think after a new adjustable carb and new filter you'll be good

savy09
01-25-2013, 09:27 PM
Other possibility did you check for good contact between plug and boot, ck wire, coil?
If you did the plug chop was it the coffee color, or whiteish? Also the airbox condition could also be the cause, air/fuel mix. A vapor leak in your hoses could also be a cause.
My Vogue 150 @740 miles was doing the same thing bogging down @35-40 ft, till I did the above and got my air/fuel mix right. Just say'in, with a little twiking, cheaper than going for a new carb.

millsc
01-25-2013, 09:30 PM
he cant adjust his old carb its non adjustable and no screws in the float bowl

savy09
01-25-2013, 09:51 PM
He can by using the throttle idle screw.

millsc
01-25-2013, 09:54 PM
i dont understand the throttle and the air/fuel ratio screw are not the same :shrug: he has no a/f screw

savy09
01-25-2013, 10:09 PM
Well it corrected the problem for me, tho I did have air leaks at my connections, found by my bike mechanic, and adjusted the idle screw only, and he never touched the air/fuel mixture screw either.

millsc
01-25-2013, 10:10 PM
:cheers: you got lucky the a/f screw is usually needed

lykos23
01-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Took out my carburetor today, and it seems that my 35mm filter fits! It's a stretch of the rubber, but it fits.

Now to go about which carb to buy... Where would you recommend buying a carb from?

Would this one work? http://www.amazon.com/Carburetor-Scooter-Moped-4-stroke-Roketa/dp/B00AWLBSAS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359227278&sr=8-1&keywords=139qmb+carb

Or are there better shops to support other than Amazon?

Such as this one?: http://eshop.mainelyscooters.com/qmb139/carburetor/151-222

EDIT: Ooh yeah, and the air box was ALL kinds of broken up! The thing had cracks running along all sides of it! They didn't even glue it back together properly as there were all kinds of leaks all along it.

lykos23
01-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Took out my carburetor today, and it seems that my 35mm filter fits! It's a stretch of the rubber, but it fits.

Now to go about which carb to buy... Where would you recommend buying a carb from?

Would this one work? http://www.amazon.com/Carburetor-Scooter-Moped-4-stroke-Roketa/dp/B00AWLBSAS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359227278&sr=8-1&keywords=139qmb+carb

Or are there better shops to support other than Amazon?

Such as this one?: http://eshop.mainelyscooters.com/qmb139/carburetor/151-222

EDIT: Ooh yeah, and the air box was ALL kinds of broken up! The thing had cracks running along all sides of it! They didn't even glue it back together properly as there were all kinds of leaks all along it.

It might help to mention that I have a Bashan Peace Sports 50, 2009 model with a 1p39qmb motor.

qwertydude
01-26-2013, 02:53 PM
You know if you don't feel like fiddling with carb adjustments and tuning, it could just be easier to buy a new stock air filter box complete with all restrictors and install it as is. It should work with a stock carburetor just fine.

lykos23
01-26-2013, 03:33 PM
You know if you don't feel like fiddling with carb adjustments and tuning, it could just be easier to buy a new stock air filter box complete with all restrictors and install it as is. It should work with a stock carburetor just fine.
Thanks, Quertydude, but I've already made my mind up with adjustments. I want to see how much performance I can get out of my stock engine anyway.

I've wasted dozens of hours adjusting my Honda Zook carb, I don't see why I can't with my Peace Sports 50. Though, acquiring another airbox for my Zook seems like an excellent option; I actually had no idea they sold stock airboxes with restrictions.

While I do appreciate the advice, at this point I've already taken the carb out. I even recorded most of the process so I feel confident in acquiring and installing a new carb with the appropriate jetting and adjustable a/f screw. Right now I'm almost incompetent when it comes to these scooters, but with the enough practice I'm sure I'll attain enough wisdom. Especially with the use of this excellent forum and help from you and users like you.

I also plan on keeping, maintaining, and using this scooter for many years to come, so I would prefer to start upgrading components as early in its life as I can. Besides, I already have a performance filter that coincidentally fits:
http://www.amazon.com/35MM-FILTER-HONDA-XR50-CRF50/dp/B007Q46KG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359232381&sr=8-1&keywords=35mm+filter+scooter

savy09
01-26-2013, 04:31 PM
I did a mod on my 2010 Znen 50cc motorino with the same air filter and it took a lot of adjusting air/fuel mix till it finally worked... note: when you remove the airbox, make sure to seal off the the air hoses with plugs and hose fly clips, that were connected or you will have the same initial (bogging down) problem you started with. You may go to a richer mix with that air filter, till you find that "sweet spot"
I got my filter from Mainley scooters.

94fordman
01-26-2013, 05:51 PM
what about the one coming off the head i pluged up mine and it ran weird

lykos23
01-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Alrighty now...

I managed to drill off the copper plug thing and it revealed a flat head screw underneath (lucky!). So it would appear that my carburetor is actually adjustable and now I just need new jets.

So what's your favorite place to buy jets for these carbs? On Amazon they cost upwards of $16 a piece; there has to be some place better than that...

millsc
01-27-2013, 10:01 AM
http://www.power-barn.com/servlet/the-1539/Keihin-99101-dsh-116-dsh-XXX-Main-Jet/Detail this is where i get mine

lykos23
01-27-2013, 10:23 AM
http://www.power-barn.com/servlet/the-1539/Keihin-99101-dsh-116-dsh-XXX-Main-Jet/Detail this is where i get mine
Thanks, Millsc. Through Mainely they cost $3 a piece with $5+ shipping and I can't select the jet size. Your site is much better.

Now to order my 85 jet for my apparently adjustable carb

EDIT: Crikies! $5 shipping for this little thing.

millsc
01-27-2013, 02:03 PM
i usually buy several jets

lykos23
01-27-2013, 04:25 PM
i usually buy several jets
I guess I'm willing to buy more than one since I don't think I'll be needing a new carb...

What range of jets would you recommend having on hand? I'm not sure at all, especially after learning that I have a 63cc, not 49cc.

The ones already mentioned in the thread are in my cart: 82 and 85, but should I add more? 90? or 75? Both?

qwertydude
01-27-2013, 06:38 PM
I'd go up to 90. So have on hand at least 80, 85, 90. For fine tuning you can buy the in between sizes of 82, and 88. But the first three ought to cover you for pretty much any condtition. 75 or 72 is probably what's in your stock so don't buy the smaller sizes as you're not going to be keeping a stock exhaust.

But if you truly have a secret 63 engine you need to always put in premium gas. These engines have a tendency to have very high compression and are prone to knocking when using regular fuel.

lykos23
01-27-2013, 06:54 PM
I'd go up to 90. So have on hand at least 80, 85, 90. For fine tuning you can buy the in between sizes of 82, and 88. But the first three ought to cover you for pretty much any condtition. 75 or 72 is probably what's in your stock so don't buy the smaller sizes as you're not going to be keeping a stock exhaust.

But if you truly have a secret 63 engine you need to always put in premium gas. These engines have a tendency to have very high compression and are prone to knocking when using regular fuel.

Thanks, Qwertydude. I wasn't sure what range my stock jet might be in, I'll be sure to take the 75 out of my cart and I'll be sure to include 80, 85, and 90 in there.

I can't be too sure on what my engine is, but it has a 6B near the rear wheel, and it's labeled as "1p39qmb"; either way I'll be sure to continue to only use premium.

Really appreciate the help

lykos23
01-27-2013, 07:12 PM
Order has been placed. I will probably end up fine-tuning later on, so for now I just ordered 80, 85, and 90.

lykos23
01-31-2013, 11:28 AM
UPDATE!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNg4GjgFtV8&feature=youtu.be

It would appear that most of my problems are solved!

millsc
01-31-2013, 11:47 AM
sounds great it's probably faster too :yay: I probably wouldn't rev it on the center stand that high very often.

lykos23
01-31-2013, 11:54 AM
sounds great it's probably faster too :yay: I probably wouldn't rev it on the center stand that high very often.
Thanks, Millsc!

Only did it for testing and show ;]

99owned
02-09-2013, 11:44 PM
Wheel was spinning because when you adjusted the idle it was running lean. When you put the tape over the 2nd hole or what have you, It balanced it out, therefore, runs better. Re-adjust idle now that you have 2 holes covered and again after the Re-jet.