PDA

View Full Version : Electric start only works when jumped...

kansas
01-24-2013, 07:46 AM
I'm trying to narrow down my issue here.

My QMB139 will only electric start when jumped.

The battery is brand new as of yesterday afternoon.

I can kick start the scoot fine and rode it for awhile yesterday so even if the new battery was dead it should of charged.

When I engage the brake and press the start button I get nothing. No click, no starter whine, nothing.

But when I hook up jumper cables it all works fine. Engage brake, press starter button, starts up fine.

So I assume the starter is ok since it works when jumped
Same with the switch

Any ideas?

kansas
01-24-2013, 09:08 AM
Doing some reading and I'm thinking perhaps I've blown the fuse coming off the battery during one of my jump starts. I'll check that when I get home but other ideas are still welcome :)

If that fuse were blown would make sense that my lights still work while riding but not with engine off?

millsc
01-24-2013, 10:33 AM
what size battery did you buy if its too small in amps it won't start, I just got another used scoot had a tiny battery in it had to replace it with a bigger higher amped battery in order to start it

lovemy2strokes
01-24-2013, 10:41 AM
+1 on bigger battery.
Did you jump the scoot with the car running or off? It should be off while jump starting or its too much power and can blow your cdi, coil, and fuses sometimes. It kind of sounds like your relay is bad to me. You can take a screw driver and put it across both terminals on your starter relay and if it cranks theres your problem.

kansas
01-24-2013, 11:28 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001XVGCP2/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1359044722&sr=8-1&pi=SL75
That's the battery I bought. It was a direct replacement for the one in it but who knows if it was correct.

millsc
01-24-2013, 11:38 AM
its too small its only 3ah i reccomend at least 6ah i use a 7ah battery like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/AGM-Sealed-Maintenance-Free-YTX7A-BS-Battery-For-Kasea-Go-Cart-ATV-Scooter-12V-/380559375226?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item589b1b3b7a&vxp=mtr

lovemy2strokes
01-24-2013, 11:48 AM
At 3 ah your starter will be hard pressed to engage if your headlights, gauge lights, and tail lights come on at the same time when you click the key over. Thats a crazy small battery, are the factory ones really that small? All the tao taos Ive seen are all 7ah. At 3ah your cold cranking amps are 36 or less at max capacity charge.

kansas
01-24-2013, 11:50 AM
its too small its only 3ah i reccomend at least 6ah i use a 7ah battery like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/AGM-Sealed-Maintenance-Free-YTX7A-BS-Battery-For-Kasea-Go-Cart-ATV-Scooter-12V-/380559375226?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item589b1b3b7a&vxp=mtr

I was always under the impression that amp hours was a rating of how long a battery could last not its peak output. The more you know lol.

I know in my daughters power wheels we up voltage to increase speed and up amp hours for extends life between charges. I guess I'll have to grab another one. But what to do with thus one? Bought off of Amazon unfortunately.

millsc
01-24-2013, 11:51 AM
craiglist the old one

kansas
01-24-2013, 11:53 AM
At 3 ah your starter will be hard pressed to engage if your headlights, gauge lights, and tail lights come on at the same time when you click the key over. Thats a crazy small battery, are the factory ones really that small? All the tao taos Ive seen are all 7ah.

I am sure this isn't the factory battery. I bought off craigslist and the kid had it running when I arrived so I never witnessed actual startup (my bad I know but I'm a noob). I'm just curious how he was getting by since the one in the scoot is the exact same.

millsc
01-24-2013, 11:55 AM
he used the kickstarter

lovemy2strokes
01-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Kick started it? The battery may work also, just very weak and hard to turn over from cold. Say it was ran before you got there and he shut it down not long before. It will start up a lot easier being as it just had some fresh charging and the engine has been warmed up.

lovemy2strokes
01-24-2013, 11:58 AM
Damn mills you type fast.

millsc
01-24-2013, 12:00 PM
i had this same problem with the roketa i just got had a battery the size of latern battery 3ah struggled to start and if it cranked more then five or six times it was dead

kansas
01-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Well I guess I'll go grab another one tonight but I may just bite the bullet and buy local. I'm an impatient son of a gun

millsc
01-24-2013, 12:04 PM
you can get them at the autoparts store get the right ah and cranking amps as long as it fits the battery compartment it should work and take the one you got off amazon in as a core so you don't have the extra fee

lovemy2strokes
01-24-2013, 12:08 PM
My 2c is dont buy from batteriesplus or batteryplus w/e. The batts last 1 season if youre lucky. Yeah theyre the cheapest around, but its for a reason. Try to get one from a powersports store and see if theyll match the price at batteriesplus. theyre just going to match AH to AH for price check usually. Same as Autozone, oReileys etc.

kansas
01-24-2013, 12:11 PM
I'll call around to some places and see what I can find. Mills, where are you in Missouri? I live in Lees Summit.

millsc
01-24-2013, 12:12 PM
i'm in saint joseph about an hour or so away you need a big bore kit installed bring it to me i'll get er done

lovemy2strokes
01-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Im in St Louis, I think hes in between me and you mills ha.

lovemy2strokes
01-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Opps never mind hes near KC, I just drove to Breckenridge Colorado last week and back, right past you.

millsc
01-24-2013, 12:18 PM
he's close to me he could get here in an hour

Guest_1
01-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Well I guess I'll go grab another one tonight but I may just bite the bullet and buy local. I'm an impatient son of a gun
im not trying to tell you what to do, but
you should always try and buy local.

now there are always things you cant local
but if you can always support the small biz owner.
and NEVER EVER give wally world any money, unless you have to, dem hoes have run so many lil guys outa biz, it AINT funny

millsc
01-24-2013, 12:20 PM
im not trying to tell you what to do, but
you should always try and buy local.

now there are always things you cant local
but if you can always support the small biz owner.
and NEVER EVER give wally world any money, unless you have to, dem hoes have run so many lil guys outa biz, it AINT funny

true walmart has took over everything

millsc
01-24-2013, 12:23 PM
get you some parts kansas ill fix you up, turn your scoot into a mean machine

kansas
01-24-2013, 12:26 PM
get you some parts kansas ill fix you up, turn your scoot into a mean machine

This is the first 2 wheel'd motorized vehicle I've ever owned and I've had it 4 days lol. Let's turn it into a running properly machine first, then we can discuss its mean streak!

millsc
01-24-2013, 12:28 PM
I can make it run good and mean

lovemy2strokes
01-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Walmarts going to buy American and hire Vets though which is cool, well see if it still stands in a year. I hate walmart but I like to be able to buy shampoo, dog food, and ink cartridges at 3 am when I get done working. I know I know bad for local business but they arent on my same schedule. Im getting ready for bed right now, usually asleep by 10 am when most stores open.

Guest_1
01-24-2013, 12:35 PM
Walmarts going to buy American and hire Vets though which is cool, well see if it still stands in a year. I hate walmart but I like to be able to buy shampoo, dog food, and ink cartridges at 3 am when I get done working. I know I know bad for local business but they arent on my same schedule. Im getting ready for bed right now, usually asleep by 10 am when most stores open.

maybe i should re phrase
dont go to Wally's unless there is no where else.
and yea Wally will hire vets.
gove 'em the same low wage, they give everyone,
keep u at less than 3o hrs per week
so you dont qualify for bennies.

i have friends that work there
and they are always interviewing at other places etc , just our area is still in a major recession. Jobs are SUPER HARD to get around here. Brand new nurses, RN's with BA's have to work there, and UPMC is the biggest employer in the area, but they are also the lowest apying in the health prof.
unless you a heart surgeon, or that type

scootnwinn
01-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Charge your new battery fully before you install it, its worth it trust me on this one.